Aussie Nukes

pmccarthy

It's hard to figure out if she's saying "specifically" or "pacifically", I've replayed her saying it over and over again - but I think she's trying to say "specifically", but it comes out "pacifically".

I just had a discussion about it with SWMBO, and she reckons she's noticed Pauline saying "pacifically" for "specifically", time and time again. But Pauline's not alone, this is a common speaking error.

SWMBO has a close friend who is a highly qualified pharmacist, who has been in charge of medicines in a major hospital for decades - and she says "pacifically" for "specifically".

But's she's Kiwi, so we reckon she's got a valid excuse, because they speak a whole lot different dialect to the rest of us West Islanders.

Edited by onetrack

I find it amazing that in WWll, Germany built 1,162 U-boats, of which 785 were destroyed. All the while, its industrial centres were having the Scheisse bombed out of them. Now in "peace time" it takes decades to produce one submarine and keep it operational. You can't tell me that the delay is caused by an inability to supply things from galley ovens to fire control systems in a timely manner. 

If automotive industry was like the submarine building industry, we'd still be driving around in these image.jpeg.7f8aa896d735a808532694c4731fca68.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Robot: from Czech robotnik "forced worker," from robota "forced labor, compulsory service, drudgery," from robotiti "to work, drudge," from an Old Czech source akin to Old Church Slavonic rabota "servitude," from rabu "slave"

Slave: originally "Slav" (see Slav); so used in this sense because of the many Slavs sold into slavery by conquering peoples.

The oldest written history of the Slavs can be shortly summarised--myriads of slave hunts and the enthralment of entire peoples. The Slav was the most prized of human goods. With increased strength outside his marshy land of origin, hardened to the utmost against all privation, industrious, content with little, good-humoured, and cheerful, he filled the slave markets of Europe, Asia, and Africa.

However, you can't slave over a hot stove if your stove has been bombed to pieces.

Just to digress - OME you probably have won the eternal respect and admiration of my son. He has taken a keen interest in history and is always banging on about how the Slavs were the first slaves (in Europe) but no one seems to be interested in righting the past misdeeds for them, etc.

Germany's war machine was assisted by slave labour, but England and the US managed break neck speeds manufacture as well, some of it by appropriating heavy civilian manufacturing capacity to the war effort, but some by simply throwing more people and resources at it.

However, to compare the rates of manufacture to today is a bit like apples and oranges.. or maybe pears.. There have been advances in manufacture techniques and technology to speed things up, but there is also a lot more technology that goes into those boats. I am sure today, we can spit out hulls faster than ever before, but you can;t assemble the darned things into a finished product until all those new langled tech bits are installed and tested along the way.

In war conditions, it would probably be faster as well..

• Agree 1

For what it's worth, the radial aero engine was fully developed by the mid 1930's. I've seen an ad from 1937 where P&W were bragging about having already produced 10,000 radial engines.

The only thing WW2 did as far as aero engines goes, was simply produce bigger and more powerful ones. The basic design changed little. Turbo-superchargers were produced in far greater numbers during WW2 due to the need for high altitude flight, but turbo-superchargers were in use before WW2.

It was just fortunate that Cadillac had the engineering skills and machine tools to be able to produce lots of turbo-superchargers for the War effort, as they required exceptionally fine tolerances and machining.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On the flip side, WW2 put some R&D on the back burner. Before the war, during the 30's, the Soviets had started development work on a turboprop engine and an axial flow compressor turbojet. All that stopped to concentrate on the war effort to produce conventional engines.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...

Morrison has perfected the "forced" handshake. Pity Ardern.  She had to rub noses with HIM.   The "Hands on" approach can do miracles but making Macron like him is more than a miracle can perform.. Why would the Frenchman give Scotty from marketing another chance to DUD him?

Australians used to get a good reception in France.  I guess that's a thing of the past.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1