Aussie Nukes

pmccarthy

Here's what I imagine would happen ....   in a war, a sub passes over a submerged buoy ( tethered to the bottom with a cable),

and it is matched accoustically by a computer sensor thing.  If it is an enemy sub, the buoy releases an automatic torpedo at the sub.

I would have thousands of these things all around.

• Informative 1

'' Published Feb 14, 2023 3:43 PM by The Maritime Executive ''

'' After a storm over the Black Sea, Ukraine's military has warned coastal communities near Odesa of the risk of drifting naval mines. The warning comes shortly after the detonation of a contact mine on a public beach in Batumi, Georgia's second-largest city. 

Floating Soviet-era YaM-type mines have been a persistent hazard to navigation in the western Black Sea since the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year, and the Ukrainian, Romanian, Bulgarian and Turkish navies have identified and neutralized dozens in their respective waters. 

To date, the Black Sea's littoral states have destroyed about 40 sea mines since February 2022. So far, the region's merchant shipping has successfully avoided contact with drifting mines, thanks in part to heightened awareness and redoubled lookout guidelines. ''  ( three people were killed ).

my banger was at an English seaside , and it came ashore on the high tide, then the army put explosive's around it to detonate the old mine covered in barnacles and rust.

spacesailor   

Edited by spacesailor
added date
  • Informative 2

I usually agree with Nev, but I can't when he said that "Australians used to get a good reception in France"

My sister nearly died there because an arrogant bank teller could not be made to look properly in his stuff which included money from Australia. This money had come all the way but didn't get past that final froggy teller!

And his management didn't help either.

Yes, I have read of a village in France which still honours WW1 diggers every day, but it is a step too far for me to agree that   Australians used to get a good reception in France.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I reckon they have never forgiven the English for a few things, like how the English overtook them financially, and how English overtook French as the main language. The french were the first to live in proper rooms like we do ( "plaster of Paris" made the difference ) and they led the world scientifically. ( think Lavoisier, Descartes, mdm Curie ).Alas, they got to be a dictatorship and fell by the wayside. After almost inventing the modern  democratic nation-state, they were taken over by Napoleon. I think Russia may be repeating their errors, although Russia never reached the heights of the French.

• Like 1

I met a beautiful French Woman in London in 1973 when I was looking for somewhere to stay when I got lost looking for the Youth Hostel fresh off the plane . She was so friendly and obliging & gave me a place to stay the first night. Her French English accent was mesmerising & I was instantly in love. She wasn't though but we did become friends for some months. 

When I finally got to Paris about 6 months later my rose tinted view of the French based on my initial encounter vanished in to thin air. My schoolboy French was terrible and they let me know by completely ignoring me.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Paris is not even nice to People from the PAYS (Paysants) Bit like Sydney or the bush.. IF they think you are English of course they will ignore you. I wonder how a Frenchman wandering around London speaking French would get on. No I don't have to wonder. I know.  Nigel Farage still carries on like a pork chop whenever he speaks of them. Nev

• Informative 1

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

I wonder how a Frenchman wandering around London speaking French would get on. No I don't have to wonder. I know.  Nigel Farage still carries on like a pork chop whenever he speaks of them.

In London, you would be surprised at how many people speak conversational French. Not as many as in Paris that speak conversational English, but the French wouldn't have too much trouble being understood. Both our kidds had to to French in the state school system. Also, not many Londoners take much notice of Farage - London voted overwhelmingly to remain. It was mainly the neglected Midlands and North; and parts of the South West that voted to leave. The French would get a very good reception in London.. They would also get a very good reception outside of London by all but the disaffected.

Aussies, on the other had... vermin! 😉  (At least this one is, although a bloody Kiwi turned up in our village. Now I am not the only novelty item in the village!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1