Climate change causees refugee crisis.

Yenn

On 15/09/2021 at 3:58 PM, nomadpete said:

NT, there is clearly nowhere near enough people living "up there".

Well, not enough to drink all that nice fresh, free tropical rainwater they get. Every wet season I see pictures of vast amounts of wasted water lying around in swamps at Kakadu on the news.

Hi Pete!

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. The water that flows in northern big rivers irrigates the woodlands and Savannah's that photosynthesise the oxygen that people in southern states breath, and scrubs the carbon from the industries and pollutants produced there. The north is the lungs and life support of Australia.

Native vegetation has been largely cleared in the southern states. Thats contributes to drought, high ambient temperatures and water scarcity as well as many other environmental problems. The 'developed' southern states are net producers of GHG.

The value of the  ecological services the north provides to the rest of the country and globally is many times that of the formal economy. It is priceless.  In fact, Our lives and those of our grandchildren rely upon them.

I am not a hippy tree hugger. But I own a property and know how things go in the Top End. We live with nature, like our blackfella neighbours, not try to change and mold the environment to our short term profit. How did that work out  in the Murray Darling?

Politicians and developers in the south are hungry to develop the north for short term economic benefit, for votes or whatever, and its convenient for people down south to buy into that vision.

For the sake of Australia, the world and our grandkids I hope that doesn't happen.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi Alan, My post was totally a sarcastic smartass comment, intended to lighten up the thread. I apologise, as I didn't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Besides, if everybody drank all that sweet rainwater instead of letting it run off into the lungs of our world, Australia's beer industry would surely collapse!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nomadpete said:

Hi Alan, My post was totally a sarcastic smartass comment, intended to lighten up the thread. I apologise, as I didn't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Besides, if everybody drank all that sweet rainwater instead of letting it run off into the lungs of our world, Australia's beer industry would surely collapse!

Hi Pete!

My apologies... My bad. I didn't spot the sarcasm.🤣

Sad thing is there are many people who actually say stuff like that and (even worse) do that...

The next property to mine has started growing cotton! 😱

Its just crazy. Investors and shareholders will do well in the short term  and other properties along the river will jump on board -and it'll be the next Darling. 

As I said I'm not a greenie, just somebody with the capacity to learn from past mistakes and current policy settings up here break my heart. The polies and corporates reap short term rewards but know they'll be long  gone by the  time the wheels fall off and it'll be somebody else's problem.  But we'll still be here and our blackfella neighbours

Rant over.

Sorry for jumping on that comment!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Would British commuters tolerate this approach?

As usual, they British public have to be left to their own devices. Thankfully, when I gfot on the tube, I engineered it to get on at a stop where there were usually still some seats as it was an interchange stop (Baker Street, I think). I had a landmark (platform mark) where I stood which was immediately adjacent the doors opening. When people would pile out through the centre of the doors, us canny commuters would pile in through the side. Many did (it wasn't unique to me). As we got towards Canary Wharf - particularly at Waterloo, Sardiines packed in a tin had more space. People would politely call "Move down, please", followed by a gentle push.. but in the end, as always in ol' Blightly, they just queued for the next one.

I was in some senses eagerly anticipating returning to London for a couple of days a week -best of both worlds - normally rural life with a smattering of big city lights. I found I did not miss London one bit.

• Informative 1

The only thing that matters to JW's is that you adopt their dictatorial view on the total authority of the JW church leadership.

They should hang their heads in shame, if ever a "Christian" group indulged in "Un-Christian" practices, it's the JW's. They practise family division on a scale with the Gestapo.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

I never minded the JWs coming to my place because you be sure of having a good, wide-ranging discussion of things that matter.

I have JW's in my extended family, they are the pits of arrogance, ignorance and suppression of women and kids. They hate me, first time I met them, they gave me some of their printed matter, thinking they could influence me. Challenged them on what was in their material and the difference between the original texts and today's rubbish, quoting passages as they were written and not how they have been modified to suit the JW and other factions claims. Gave me a good laugh, they don't have a clue what was actually written, all they know about is what their leaders feed them and is quoted out of the JW bible.

Never been invited to their place again and all contact with the family has been cut off, not that anyone cares. Asked them whether what I did was right or nor, luckily that side of my family can't stand god nutters either and had just tolerated the morons until my little discussion with them.

Tonight I watched part of the 4 Corners report on JWs and child abuse. As Dax says, the organisation seems to be just another grubby bunch out to protect their power base. I’m quite saddened for the many good people within that church.

Local JW families that I know are exemplorary community members.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, onetrack said:

Well Dax, it's pretty obvious you won't be one of the 144,000 chosen people! - and you'll be destined to endure the Tribulation!!

Considering all the religious will be in their heaven and all the people I associate with will be in supposed hell, know exactly where I want to be.

• Like 2

OldK - There are a lot of good, upstanding religious people. Unfortunately, most choose to join religious organisations that are little more than "authoritarian regimes".

Accordingly, they hand over their power to think for themselves to the leaders of those organisations, who set out to install rules and regulations and doctrines, that must be followed to the letter, or the adherent will be punished.

In the JW authoritarian regime, the leaders of that religion have refined "shunning" or excommunication to an unbelievably refined level.

Shunning and excommunication is abusive and controlling behaviour of the highest order, and has no place in true Christianity.

However, the JW's are not alone in developing that peculiar skill. The Roman Catholic Church has refined it to a high degree as well, and the Amish of America also practise it. It is a practice that no true Christian person would ever indulge in.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Shunning and excommunication is abusive and controlling behaviour of the highest order, and has no place in true Christianity.

However, the JW's are not alone in developing that peculiar skill. The Roman Catholic Church has refined it to a high degree as well, and the Amish of America also practise it. It is a practice that no true Christian person would ever indulge in.

What's true christianity, considering the history of the christian religion and it's outcomes. Considering it was the catholic church which invested the yahweh cult and all other christian faction follow the same stories, what other example is there of a true christian, particularly when those following the cult never do anything to bring the debaucheries of the church to account. Guilt by association I say, what's the differences between someone following the muslim version of the cult and it's associated abuse, compared to christian all factions and their associated abuse throughout history.

How can anyone claim to be separate from the organisation they are a part of and support economically and phsyically, by claiming perpetrators are not representative of their belief. When the historic facts prove every faction of the cult is no different to any other faction and all involved are complicit in the history and ongoing debauchery of the entire cult. You don't see or hear pew sitters demanding abusive preachers be thrown out, they just sit there with their mouths shut in total denial. Apologetics mean nothing when we look the the real history and realise the belief in god has been a never ending abuse of life and there is nothing good in its practise anywhere.

• 4 months later...
On 14/09/2021 at 4:49 PM, nomadpete said:

I sense a subtle undercurrent of cynicism.

That's not a subtle undercurrent, that's a bloody dangerous rip.

As to climate change refugees.

Rising sea levels are going to make some of the richest people move on. A lot of New York City is less than 16 feet above mean sea level. In Lower Manhattan, some points are five feet above sea level. And as for London

sea level rise by 2100 london

They'll all have to do like the Indonesians are going to do with Jakarta - abandon it as the capital, and move to the hills of Borneo!

What I find amazing, is that nowhere in their planning, does there appear to be any arrangement for a port for the "new Jakarta".

Perhaps they're expecting the predicted sea level rise, to bring the port to their new location!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60037163

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

Sea level has been rising gradually for thousands of years. The rate hasnt changed lately.

I thought that in those areas which had been subjected to heavy glaciation in the lase Ice Age were rising due to the decompression of the underlying bedrock as the weight came off.  Due to the extreme viscosity of the mantle, it will take many thousands of years for the land to reach an equilibrium level.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1