Climate change causees refugee crisis.

Yenn

3 hours ago, onetrack said:

They'll all have to do like the Indonesians are going to do with Jakarta - abandon it as the capital, and move to the hills of Borneo!

What I find amazing, is that nowhere in their planning, does there appear to be any arrangement for a port for the "new Jakarta".

Perhaps they're expecting the predicted sea level rise, to bring the port to their new location!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60037163

I was lucky to be there one day when there was a heap of Macassan schooners in port (Jakarta, that is). I estimated about eighty of them, tied up side by side, loading and unloading freight. At that time, it would have been about a third of the fleet. I don't know if many of them are still sailing these days. Back then they carted a lot of the cheaper freight like timber and sugar.

Edited by willedoo

4 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

I was in Jakarta 45 years ago; locals approached me concerned that there’d been a train disaster in Australia.

Granville was front page news in Indonesia, even though the death toll from flooding in their capital was far worse.

Just for a bit of nostalgia, the National Monument in Jakarta. The one they call Sukarno's last erection. He sure put up a lot of monuments during his time.

70090908-Monas-National-Monument-Merdeka-Square-Jakarta-Java-Indonesia.jpg