Fascinating optical illusions.

octave

That was a very good presentation. I tried making one out of cardboard with no success. There might be a bit more to the construction required than my crude effort. It's fascinating stuff; I always liked the drawings of M.C. Escher and then there was that three pronged thing.

• Agree 1

• 11 months later...

There is an outdoor optical illusion near Bankstown Airport. Use Google maps to find Camofleur Reserve Bankstown and use satellite view to get down onto the road. If you move along the road (by clicking on the arrows in the circles) you will see it change shape. Originally there was a picture of a Spitfire in a hangar. 

26 minutes ago, Marty_d said:

How many crashes has that caused?

I've often driven past it and never realised what it was, although wondered what it was supposed to be. Just looks like a wonky U unless you're at the right spot.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Marty_d said:

How many crashes has that caused?

No more than the normal number of crashes I'd expect - as the number of road users who even understand the basics of roundabout operation, seems pretty low. It doesn't really grab your attention until you're on foot, and walking around it.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, nomadpete said:

Once I managed to see the people, it took me ages to revert to seeing my first impression. But that was worth the effort

It's the internet, Peter.  You can see high definition images of those whenever you want.

• Haha 1

It's the right brain/left brain thing. When the alternate views of the image appear, you can almost physically feel the shift in thought to the other hemisphere of the brain. Artists spend more time using the right side of the brain, accountants use the left.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, willedoo said:

Artists spend more time using the right side of the brain, accountants use the left.

I once had a creative accountant doing my tax returns. He was really GOOD.

Are you saying that he was using 100% of his brain? So a 'normal' accountant only uses one hemisphere - and they should halve their hourly charges.

• Haha 4

One excellent book is 'Drawing on The Right Side of The Brain' by Betty Edwards. There are right brain people who have a natural talent for art, and left brain people who are terrible at it. This book benefits both, but is especially good at teaching left brain people to train the right side of the brain to enable them to draw well. In the book, she gives examples of before and after art attempts by students, as well as examples by famous artists. One memorable one is a sketch by Vincent Van Gogh. The 'before' sketch was terrible and it was obvious he had no natural talent, and coudn't draw to save his life (or ear). The next Van Gogh sketch example was dated about 12 months later, and the difference was incredible. It was of the high standard that carried on through his brief but prolific career. The author's point was that anyone can learn to draw if they do it the 'right' way.

• Informative 2

• 2 months later...