Who is to blame for the fires?

Bruce

Willedo, you can delete a Quote box by editing your post - but you only get about 5 or 6 minutes after you post to edit it, then the post is automatically locked, and becomes unable to be further edited.

Thanks onetrack. I was looking for a way before it was posted, but it looks like you post, then edit/delete.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will allways have arson bushfire s, while the courts only charge the arsonist with misdemeanor s,

If people die it should be  Manslaughter.

spacesailor

spacey, in Queensland the maximum sentence for arson around with matches is life imprisonment.

Funny you should mention that. We went to a Brazilian BBQ restaurant here a while back, and they had Brazilian grilled pineapple on the dessert menu.

The whole, peeled pineapple is rolled in a really thick coating of cinnamon-and-clove-laced brown sugar. They then rotisserie-grill the pineapple whole on the BBQ, and then cut slices off as required.

Talk about a winner! The bloke cooking them couldn't keep up with the demand, they were the most popular dessert item.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/brazilian-rotisserie-pineapple/

The person whole generated that image has said it is not a satellite photo, but a 3D compilation of fires over one month.

spacer.png

It is actually artist Anthony Hearsey's visualisation of one month of data of locations where fire was detected, collected by Nasa's Fire Information for Resource Management System.

"The scale is a little exaggerated due to the render's glow, but it is generally true to the info from the Nasa website. Also note that not all the areas are still burning, and this is a compilation," Mr Hearsey wrote on Instagram in response to criticism by viewers that the image was misleading.

The satellite image is not just of fires. The satellite only identifies "hot spots", and these can be simply things such as claypans in semi-desert or desert areas, that are reflecting a lot of solar heating.

The raw satellite imagery has to be interpreted to gather up fire information. It is misleading to produce a raw satellite image and simply say it is outlining fires only.

Many stunning images from space that we see (particularly of stars, galaxies, nebula, etc.,) are not the original images, they have been touched up, colour-corrected, and enhanced, to represent what the human eye might see, if we were located where the imagery is centred. 

The hotspot images tend to look big when you zoom out to continent view. But when you zoom in, often what looked big in the initial view turns out to be quite small. The images shown must be viewed in context to make sense.  

To see what I mean, take a look at Sentinal.com and zoom in to see how many hotspots are not actually caused by big bushfires, or are stale information from days ago.  Without context, wrong conclusions are made by uniformed people.

I used to like Flannery too, but I have been told that he has bought a harbourside place in Sydney, so maybe he doesn't really believe his own stuff.

This story, courtesy of those 2 excellent sources of fake news, the Telegraph and Ray Hadley, is a beat-up. The house was bought in 1997, many years before Flannery published his views on sea level rise. If you need cover to justify your opinions don't quote from Murdoch or 2GB. Not a great look!

Maybe we should embrace the blackfellow way of burning as much as possible. This mainly ( but not always ) means small fires because there is not much to burn. The wildlife escape easily from the small burns.

I bet those aborigines didn't have to apply for permits before they started a fire.

This story, courtesy of those 2 excellent sources of fake news, the Telegraph and Ray Hadley, is a beat-up. The house was bought in 1997, many years before Flannery published his views on sea level rise. If you need cover to justify your opinions don't quote from Murdoch or 2GB. Not a great look!

I suspect the Murdoch media is running a not-too subtle hatchet job on anyone who challenges the prevailing power elite. Flannery is a target, as is that young girl from Scandinavia.

I have also noted an image, purported to be a NASA satellite photo of our continent. It shows fires generally scattered including in central desert areas and far north Queensland.

Fake news is everywhere.

I wonder if the satellites are picking up the controlled spinifex burns in central Australia. A lot of the aboriginal people still burn in the summer months.