Who is to blame for the fires?

Bruce

AND

Now we know !.

Australia is to blame for the climate change.

" https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200122100546.htm "

Earth's oldest asteroid strike linked to 'big thaw'  

Journal Reference:

1. Timmons M. Erickson, Christopher L. Kirkland, Nicholas E. Timms, Aaron J. Cavosie, Thomas M. Davison. Precise radiometric age establishes Yarrabubba, Western Australia, as Earth’s oldest recognised meteorite impact structure. Nature Communications, 2020; 11 (1) DOI: 10.1038/s41467-019-13985-7

It's in WA.

spacesailor

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to that, it's water vapour in the atmosphere that causes warming.

Calculations indicated that an impact into an ice-covered continent could have sent half a trillion tons of water vapour -- an important greenhouse gas -- into the atmosphere. This finding raises the question whether this impact may have tipped the scales enough to end glacial conditions."

So we had better not fill Lake Eyre or we will accelerate global warming.

Tank water and we are not subject to pollution.

I wish you were right Yenn, but the sad fact is that unless you can control birds which may poo on your roof, then the tank water can be deadly. It doesn't happen often, so there are people who have lived their whole lives on untreated tank water.

My water is not filtered and I have been on tank water for 50 years. It is not bird dung that causes problems, it is more likely a dead animal in the gutter. Having drunk the water for so long I am less susceptible to sickness from it than someone who always strives for the utmost purity. I still drink from creeks when bushwalking, even though I hear the tales of massive problems for some people.

You have to be able to assess the threat and manage it.

I don't think that blaming anyone for the fires is productive.

What matters is what we do now. Nobody has proposed any actual action to restore the forests.

All the government talks about is money.

The Lost seedbank needs help?

And Obviously the building code needs improvement.

Latest fire in Canberra,....

Started by the genius defence force helicopter landing with mega power lights on. Heat started fire and also damaged aircraft.

Does not take a big brain to see that happening, long grass, massive hot light under helicopter........

Like sending live shells into the bush in fire season....starts fires.

Now over 7,900 hectares and growing fast.

Re the tank water supply - when I first left school in 1965, and went into business with the brother doing agricultural earthmoving, we rented a vacant farmhouse and sheds from a farmer, about 16kms East of a small country town in the W.A. wheatbelt.

The farmhouse was typical of the era, built just after WW2, it was a concrete-block house, big and roomy, with a big verandah all around.

Power came from a self-contained 32V power plant with a single cylinder Southern Cross engine and a bank of batteries - and the house water supply was a 20,000 gallon (91,000 litre) concrete tank that was sited at ground level, and fed from the runoff from the biggest machinery shed, a 60' x 30' gable-roof shed (18M x 9M approx). Water was pumped from the concrete tank to an overhead tank at the house about 200M away, by a windmill.

All the water tanks were roofed and sealed, and there was a rat guard on the downpipe from the shed into the big tank. We never even thought about bird droppings going into our drinking water.

The brother got married not long after we moved in, and the three of us lived there quite happily until 1972. However, about 1968, we started finding grey flecks in the tap water in the house.

We were a bit puzzled by the flecks, but dismissed them as being of no importance. Then the grey flecks got bigger, and they started to become chunks!

Becoming a little alarmed by this, we decided to investigate the inside of the big water tank. After removing the lid and peering in, we were appalled at what we found!

The rat guard had gone rusty and fallen off the end of the shed downpipe, into the tank. Thirsty rats had walked down the downpipe, and then desperate for a drink, had leapt from the end of the downpipe, into the water!

And of course, they had then swum around for a while, and then drowned! The worst part was - there must have been at least 50 or 80 rats that had done this, over a long period of time!!

Their bodies had decomposed, and we were effectively drinking, untreated RAT SOUP!! 

I guess it was fortunate that we mostly drank tea, and boiled the largest proportion of the water we drank there. None of us was ever affected by the rat soup, we didn't notice any smell or foul taste in the water, and I can only surmise that the bulk of the putrid ingredients sank to the bottom of the tank, and were substantially degraded and diluted by the large volume of water in the big tank.

Nonetheless, we pumped the big tank out, washed it out with clean water, re-installed the rat guard securely - and checked it frequently - to ensure we had less qualms about what we were drinking!

onetrack, it's amazing how much natural immunity people get from rural living. Most of us who grew up on the land have been swallowing dirt, grease and bird poo since we were babies. If you were from the city, probably one bowl of rat soup would pull you up.

Well, maybe that's not the case exactly, Willedo. I was brought up for the first 2 years in the city, on city reticulated water - then the next 10 years were on a dairy farm we owned, 18kms N of the city (drinking underground water from our own 6M deep bore - which was superb quality) - then another 4 years living back in the city after Dad sold the farm - then I moved to the wheatbelt. 

I've never considered that I have a "cast-iron gut", and in fact, I'm pretty particular about what I put in my mouth, with an aversion to a lot of things that others happily consume.

At 21, I did get severe gastroenteritis from rats infesting our military compound in Sth Vietnam, which left me very very crook indeed, and I spent 4 days in hospital, as a result.

That was around 2 years after ingesting the steady diet of rat soup, for maybe a couple of years, in the Wheatbelt of W.A.

But I suspect the rats of Vietnam carry a lot more disease and pathogens than our simple rural rats in Australia.