The climate change debate continues.

Phil Perry

There are some great gliding days in SA when the thermals go over 12,000 ft. On some of these days, clouds form over the scrub area and not the wheat area because that scrub sucks water from 30 ft down and transpires it to the atmosphere.

Litespeed, are you thinking of the time our Collins Class sub did exactly that

Nope, it was the Swedes who "sank" the Ronald Regan

In late May 2000, Waller became the first Australian submarine to operate as a fully integrated component of a United States Navy carrier battle group during wargames.[1] Waller’s role was to search for and engage opposing submarines hunting the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, a role in which she performed better than expected. A few days later, as part of the RIMPAC 2000 exercise, Waller was assigned to act as an 'enemy' submarine, and was reported to have successfully engaged two USN nuclear submarines before coming into attacking range of Abraham Lincoln. Waller performed similarly during the Operation Tandem Thrust wargames in 2001, when she 'sank' two USN amphibious assault ships in waters just over 70 metres (230 ft) deep; although the submarine was 'destroyed' herself later in the exercise.

If a noisy Collins-class and a silent Gotland-class can get US carriers, it doesn't give you much confidence in the US Navy.

Hull components of teh Collins-class were built by the Swedish mob who made the Gotland-class boats.

"In an extreme case, I can imagine a thunderstorm forming from those clouds. It would be a rare event for sure."

which made the world record, when a German girl was taken up into the Heaven's & nearly died with lots of hail in her cocoon, that helped to bring her down.

spacesailor 

Nope, it was the Swedes who "sank" the Ronald Regan

The story as I remember it was in an article some years back and written by a Naval officer who was on the boat, but I could be a bit foggy on the details.

It might be this one quoted on the Collins Wiki page : 'In 2003, a Collins-class boat carried out successful attacks on two USN nuclear submarines and an aircraft carrier during a multinational exercise.'

I guess it depends on what they mean by a successful attack on an aircraft carrier. I'd assume that in an exercise without live firing, a successful attack would mean a theoretical torpedo hit. But I could be wrong. Maybe successful attack means they made it to a certain zone.

Edit: It's possible that I remember the article as being written by an officer and that it might have actually been written by a journalist quoting him incorrectly. The above Wiki quote from 2003 is inconsistent with the Wiki pages on the Waller and Rankin from the 2003 exercise.

As I said, US Navy loses two flat-tops in war games. Australia scored one and Sweden the other.

I checked out the one I was thinking of, the HMAS Rankin in 2003, and it was a destroyer they got, not a carrier. My mistake. But it was the one that hugged the underwater cliff face to avoid detection. In the lead up, the crew purposely made a lot of noise to get the Yanks used to hearing that, then went silent.

Using the 1-in-60 Rule, I'm altering direction from subs to parallel the planned track, then making attempting to regain the planned track as soon as possible.

After over 1000 posts on this topic, of which I have made quite a few, and from hearing arguments from both sides of the battle line, I have come to the conclusion that both sides are using fake science and scare tactics to win the battle.  The  ones who benefit from the battle are, as always, the rich and powerful. As a result I have decided that I don't want to be cannon fodder any longer. 

I find neither side trustworthy, and, since I shall never be rich nor powerful, I'm not going to concern myself with the climate any longer. Since I'm near my allotted three score and ten, in a few years it won't worry me at all.

After over 1000 posts on this topic, of which I have made quite a few, and from hearing arguments from both sides of the battle line, I have come to the conclusion that both sides are using fake science and scare tactics to win the battle.

Not the Pastafarians. They have correlated the rise in temperature vs the decrease in number of pirates since 1820 and found a startling connection.

It's hard to argue with figures like this. Their conclusion is we need more pirates for the planet to cool.

[ATTACH]50619._xfImport[/ATTACH]

pchart1.thumb.jpg.1b11f3eb59f9f3eb138da517fe4e42b2.jpg

AND

Here's a new twist.

"More specifically, it's the hydroflurocarbon HFC-23 - also known as fluoroform - that has hit new highs. It's a bad one, too, with one tonne of the gas having the same greenhouse potential as nearly 12,000 tons of carbon dioxide."

Now there's a massive increase of hydrofluro's in the atmosphere, & the scientist haven't a clue were it all came from, with lots of finger pointing.

spacesailor

Yes, I'd definitely go with some Hornblower. Haven't read them for years; must be about time for a re-read. The one that really stuck in the memory was a chapter in one of the early books. Can't remember the name of it, but he was a Lieutenant on a ship of the line and the whole chapter described them coming around to fire a broadside at the enemy. The logistics of it was mind boggling; more to it than what meets the eye. The author researches well.

Very common in the day to capture a 'prize' and it would either be sold and shares were to crew, captain and navy. 

Or they kept it and renamed it.

Some ships changed hands many times.

The Patrick  O Brien series of 24? Books are like a true history and very detailed.

Some might remember the movie Master and Commander.

Very common in the day to capture a 'prize' and it would either be sold and shares were to crew, captain and navy. 

Or they kept it and renamed it.

Some ships changed hands many times.

The Patrick  O Brien series of 24? Books are like a true history and very detailed.

Some might remember the movie Master and Commander.

Dudley Pope, Alexander Kent etc.   All good detained stories.   Conrad, etc.

There have been some great pictures of our sun released today, the astronomers say:

"Our predictions lag behind terrestrial weather by 50 years, if not more. What we need is to grasp the underlying physics behind space weather, and this starts at the sun, which is what the Inouye Solar Telescope will study over the next decades."

The books by, and about, William Dampier, make fascinating reading. Never was a seafaring man so competent, knowledgeable, and observant.

He knew nearly as much as todays scientists, with regard to navigating, seasons, winds, weather, and climate - and yet he lived in the days when they couldn't even build an accurate chronometer.

The Harrison H1 Marine chronometer was not produced until 1759 - but Dampier died in 1715, without ever having known a way of accurately measuring longitude.

• 4 months later...

The next door neighbour had 20 solar panels installed today. He said they cost him $2500. The former owner of the house on the other side of him had 12 panels installed, for what was said to be $7,500, two or three years ago.