Federal Election

willedoo

Almost budget time, a time when leopards try really hard to change their spots until the election is over.

570 million for security agencies sounds good with the AFP getting the bulk of it at 512 million. Is this the same AFP who had their 2018/2019 budget slashed by 205 million? Crikey, that leopard might be on to something there. But why not just not cut it in the first place. Makes too much sense, I guess.

Also a one off 285 million Energy Assistance Payment for age pensioners, people on the Disability Support Pension, veterans, carers and single parents. That sounds like a very kind, socially aware leopard. Except the same leopard tried and failed a year ago to scrap the Labor-era Energy Supplement for new recipients.

Australia, I think your chain is being jerked.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're going for the Howard playbook. Bribe the population just before the election because the budget is temporarily doing ok, ignoring the structural problems which make it unsustainable.

If Labor doesn't win this election there is something seriously wrong with this country.

There should be a law preventing incumbent parties from making any promises. If they were going to do it, they should have done it already.

They've had three years to deliver what they are promising now. Here's some cash; vote for us, suckers. Problem is, that three years has been spent talking about themselves, infighting and navel gazing. They've been flat out, just no time left for delivering good government. About time we had a government that wakes up and starts doing the job we pay them to do. In private enterprise, the whole lot of the useless bludgers would have been sacked in their first week.

What about the millions they spend in TV and radio announcements telling us how they are doing great things for the country. I'm even getting pop-ups when playing Scrabble on my iPad that are government warnings to illegal immigrants with sub-titles in Arabic script. I wonder if they are a warning not to try to catch the ferry to Manly without a ticket.

my opinion

yeh that labour green team sure suits those that want to be paid for doing nothing for them selves and live of the ones that have a go and pay tax

a vote for sheeeet head shorten is going to get more tax from you he has already said he is going to increase tax so vote for him and lose your job sounds fair to me neil

This is just the normal "BUY the election" technique Howard perfected. I hope we aren't conned once again. .Advertising is Sco Mo's old job..A lot of the promises are only part restoring cuts made earlier on.. The actual DEFICIT is double what it was when Labor was in and it was a CRISIS in the headlines every day then so WTF? Suddenly it doesn't matter anymore.. Nev

I don't think you are being fair on Johnny Howard (the shrub.... A little bush).

He didn't perfect the 'Howard playbook' , Marty.

I'd credit a bloke called Hitler (or Goering) with perfecting the process of media manipulation to get the the people singing along.

I can understand rusted on conservative voters being wary of a Labor government, but they won't decide the result. The swinging voters will do that.

So let's look at why swinging voters swing. One issue is that if you re-elect a self obsessed, underperforming, barely competent government, then there's no incentive for them to change. Three more years of the same. Sometimes a stint on the opposition benches can be good for a poorly performing former government.

The reason is that they are not like normal people. The only thing they understand is losing their jobs. A good example is the last election where the sitting government went within a seat of losing power. Normal people would have realized they were on wood and tried their hardest to do their job well and restore the trust of the electorate. Not this lot. As soon as the dust settled, they re-commenced their pattern of unbridled buffoonery for the following three years.

Can anyone show me any indication they will change this time? If they can't get their act together in six years, what miracle will make it happen in nine years. One reason voters have left them is their track record of idiocy since the last election. They just didn't get the basic message. A lot of voters don't trust or respect them enough to give them yet another shot at it. In the eyes of a lot of voters, it's punishment time, not reward time.

Just imagine HOW dreadful they would have been if the Last election had not been so close. They still went on to totally self destruct, fighting amongst them selves. That made them an ineffective government. Most of the rats have left the sinking ship. Currently the relationship with the Nationals is non existent so what kind of government would that bring on? They are only nice at election time. and will revert to form afterwards with a vengeance . Everything they have done on line has been a thorough cock up. Their skills don't rate, and they LIE constantly, hoping you won't notice.. Nev