SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have eaten there a few times - not too many, though.... Only when really hungry and nothing else about... Or once, when my partner's hangover was really bad and she needed something to remind me there is worse than alcohol. One time I went for breakfast in a downtown San Francisco "restaurant" for something different, it was a depressing sight - much as you describe, Nev, so I turned and walked out... Other time was after a particularly poor experience at some "holiday resort" in Marysville or thereabouts; we were there for only one night (walls so thin, he clearly heard the creation of the next child of the family next door - without putting a glass to the wall), and kids tearing about till all hours. Anyway, as soon as a bleary-eyed receptionist lifted the metal grate of her desk, we checked out (about 7am); on the way back to Melb, hoping for a café or something open in Lilydale for breakfast (our young son was getting hungry); only thing open was McDonalds. We stopped, got a sausage muffin, English muffins and jam; At around 1yr old, he sniffed the sausage and promptly (to our delight) turned his nose at it and went for the jam muffin. When his mates now go to McDonalds, he goes net door to KFC (mildly better).

Have to agree on the public toilet front; and they are usually pretty good about it, too.. We are lucky in the UK (and Western Europe) in that all the mototways and most busier A roads have roadside services that have very good toilet facilities (more and more have showers). They usually have more than one option for food, though in the UK, the options revolve around the fast food chains but are improving.

When I used to occasionally drive between Melb --> Syd or Melb --> Bris, I would stop in towns and head to the local pub for a comfort stop and/or food. McDonalds, though, was not terribly pervasive outside the major conurbations at the time. KFC semed to be better entrenched, though were only takeways from memory.

Back Jan '98, my then early days girlfriend flew out from the UK (I was living the UK just over a year then) to Sydney as we couldn't get her a flight to Melb (it was a last minute idea). So I drove to Sydney, picked her up and drove straight back. Poor girl - after 24 hours of travel and another about 11 from memory - we took it easy coming back. I recall stopping at a pub in Yass where, ironically, the bartender was just back from 2 yers in teh UK and he and my GF had a great conversation (my frist year in the UK was around 9 months in the US and 3 in the Czech Republic).

Apart from the odd one, I found pubs in Aus with respectable dunnies and half-decent Weiner Schnitzels ;-)

I love Maccas, don't care if others pretend they don't eat there, lol.

"holiday resort" in Marysville - he clearly heard the creation of the next child of the family next door

Well if it was Marysville then likely it was "family" sex you were listening too! spacer.png

I used to stop at the Pub at Picton on the way to Melbourne. Another one was in the main street of Wangaratta. ALL these places are bypassed now.

Macdonalds are clean, That's one thing I would grant them but I'm fair dinkum about the food. Now I just keep driving and take fruit and a salmon and biscuits snack thingo. Saves time and money. Stop for a walkaround . pee and tyre temp check at a good roadside toilet facility. Best thing I did recently was to go to the local IGA at Walcha and buy some "nice" food things and pull up on the side of the road on the way to Wauchope where it's ferny cool and lovely smell of the bush. More like a tropical rainforest.. Nev

What ever happened to the Counter Lunch in pubs?

Actually, I do know. Pubs got all yuppy and started serving nouveau cuisine for the would-bes-if-they-could-bes. Ditched the working man who was happy with pie, chips and gravy washed down with a schooner.

The pub meals are still out there. Yes if you go to a bar that's been renovated for the yuppie crowd they'll probably only serve tiny portions of fussy food.

Look for the fluorescent lights and formica tables and you'll most likely be able to get a parmy that hangs over the plate and enough chips to feed a small family.

It's always fun trying to describe to the kids how we all stand upright on a round ball.

The other night I was telling them how the moon looked upside down to people in England because you guys obviously see it from the top of the world. This of course led to a basic explanation of gravity, as they wanted to know why we weren't falling off...

Does that make GMH into train drivers. Qld government should get on to them, we seem to have a shortage. I notice today that Peter Beatty (ex Qld premier) says that they have a good plan for transport at the Commonwealth Games. I hope they aren't relying on QR, who didn't have enough drivers to open a new line recently.

Don't blame Holden. Remember the Holden motor company never made motors anyway. Mr Holden was a (car) body builder. The yank company General Motors brought motors and drive trains into the business.

Sorry, incorrect. During WW2 Holden built engines for the war effort. The "Grey" came shortly after, certainly manufactured at Fishies Bend, designed in Australia with or without Yank help I don't know.

However, the Holden "Red", 253 and 308 V8 were completely designed by Australians and manufactured in Australia.

So was the Missfire, errr I mean Starfire 4, but there's dubious grounds for that to be considered an engine. spacer.png

Interesting bit of info for some, the Holden Grey, even with cast iron block and head, was the lightest mass production inline 6 cylinder engine ever produced until year 2000 when BMW introduced their 1 series with the magnesium/aluminium hybrid M54 series.

Bex,

Everything post FX Holden was produced by the General Motors Holden company.

A company which was formed when American General Motors purchased Australia's best motor body maker, Holden. Although it has always been characterised as an Aussie company (and no doubt has had various amounts of input since), you only need to compare most Holden body "styles", with the Yank equivalent, to see where the control was centred. Our cars were smaller copies of standard American models.

General Motors has always been the parent company.