SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no picture for this, A friend who worked in maintenance at Diagoras airport on the Island of Rhodes ( Greek ) told me that they had ordered a 3m x 1.5m metal sign indicating holding point 'A' for runway 25. The original being flattened by some clumsy Oik in a Cargo 757. . . There is a single runway at Diagoras, 25 / 07, which is parallel to the beach on the Turkish facing side of the island.

The sign was duly delivered and installed. . .but it took 2 days before an eagle eyed airline pilot pointed out to ATC that the number on it was '52' True dat. . . .I guess it's an easy mistake to make. .

Matey admitted that, since he was not a pilot himself, he did not notice this 'minor error' whilst he was supervising the work. . .

My Big Daughter announced 2 nights back that she is getting married on Nov 5th 2018,. . .to the Bloody GREEK bloke she has been cohabitating with ( on and off ) for nine years.

Fortunately,. . . .He is a CHEF. Hopefully not allowed airside.

.Efharisto Poli Jerry, feelaymoo Kalleh. . . Actually,. . you are fairly Bang on with your pic. Rachel and Matt have already been told that they have to have a duplicate reception in Greece as soon a as practicable after the Happy day. I have no doubt at all that there will be some ceramical assassination going on, as it seems to be a big 'Thing' in Greece.

I've never actually visited the Greek Mainland Alhough I have been to all of the Greek Islands more than once ! ) so It will be nice to tag along with the Missis. . .If Ryanair are still offering silly prices for seats. . . . Matt's family number over 49. . .with the possibilty of more than another 8 Greeky Sprogs before the wedding date in Nov '18. . . .This, against OUR family's STATIC 13. . .so we are outvoted . . . I hope it's WARM in Greece in November. . .it certainly ain't here. . .( as I'm sure you know. . .)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Council racks up 'obscene' £153,000 bill for FOUR brown roadside signs advertising tourist attractions

Signs will advertise Rhuddlan Castle, Denbigh Castle and St Asaph Cathedral

Have been discussions about the possibility of erecting signs for several years

Local councillors and attraction owners are furious at being landed with bills ( the picture below is a 'Mock up' of the proposed signs of which there will be four in total )

spacer.png

I reckon,. . .for 4 signs at, let's say 3 metres in length, £1,600 Ex vat for the signs, and another £1,500 for 2 metal poles, clips and bolts, plus two blokes and a bit of concrete to fix then onto the steel poles, say five hours work. . . .Total estimate £3,100 + VAT. . and this is allowing for a 22% profit margin. . . .I can't imagine where the other £150,000 odd is going,. . unless into many brown envelopes of course. . . Council contracts in the UK have long been controlled by an unseen force,. . .I've tendered for hundreds over the years. . . and never got one. . Need to be family, or Freemasons perhaps ?. . who knows.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...

Is there a jurisdiction in the world where they spend taxpayers money with any care and respect? Those signs are an example where the perpetrators should be bankrupted and sacked... alas, they will probably get promoted.

But Australia spending 50 billion on submarines with no possible use except to make jobs ( the jobs cost a million a year, not that anything like that goes to the workers) beats those signs.

Why don't the voters take their revenge on the sitting members who either voted for ( or didn't object enough) to this waste I wonder. They get their chance at polling time.

Is there a jurisdiction in the world where they spend taxpayers money with any care and respect? Those signs are an example where the perpetrators should be bankrupted and sacked... alas, they will probably get promoted.But Australia spending 50 billion on submarines with no possible use except to make jobs ( the jobs cost a million a year, not that anything like that goes to the workers) beats those signs.

Why don't the voters take their revenge on the sitting members who either voted for ( or didn't object enough) to this waste I wonder. They get their chance at polling time.

If you multiply that sign con and extrapolate across the entire Local Gov. network, you can see the scale of the obvious corruption. I only picked upon that as it used to be my trade Bruce. .

The scale of 'BIG spends on military gear must be a wondrous thing to behold. . we have 2 useless aircraft carriers and no support ships, the first of which has just been commissioned,. . no aircraft to fly off them though. ! Anyway, I put this in the wrong thread,. .. .I've got a funny one here, so I'll post that instead.

[ATTACH]49077._xfImport[/ATTACH]

The Welsh language bit underneath, actually says : 'I'm out at the moment, please leave me a message and I'll get back to you' This is no joke BTW. . .!

2121678251_WELSHROADSIGN.thumb.jpg.534ec1141254755020111989b483a0c4.jpg

Council racks up 'obscene' £153,000 bill for FOUR brown roadside signs advertising tourist attractionsSigns will advertise Rhuddlan Castle, Denbigh Castle and St Asaph Cathedral

Have been discussions about the possibility of erecting signs for several years

Local councillors and attraction owners are furious at being landed with bills ( the picture below is a 'Mock up' of the proposed signs of which there will be four in total )

spacer.png

I reckon,. . .for 4 signs at, let's say 3 metres in length, £1,600 Ex vat for the signs, and another £1,500 for 2 metal poles, clips and bolts, plus two blokes and a bit of concrete to fix then onto the steel poles, say five hours work. . . .Total estimate £3,100 + VAT. . and this is allowing for a 22% profit margin. . . .I can't imagine where the other £150,000 odd is going,. . unless into many brown envelopes of course. . . Council contracts in the UK have long been controlled by an unseen force,. . .I've tendered for hundreds over the years. . . and never got one. . Need to be family, or Freemasons perhaps ?. . who knows.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...

£23K for the design - standard colours, standard symbols, standard size.. Wow! Fitting in the Welsh equivalent wording seems pretty expensive!

£23K for the design - standard colours, standard symbols, standard size.. Wow! Fitting in the Welsh equivalent wording seems pretty expensive!

Not joking here Jerry, I still retain the signmaking software, and these signs are standard blanks. . . could draw those up ( IE type in the required text ) and cut the text on the vinyl cutting plotter into the brown translucent vinyl in under an hour. £23,000 for design work, ? ? ?. . .I seriously KNOW that someone is havin' a Larf with council tax payers; money mate. . .extrapolate to every local authority and the scale of corrupt feckwittery becomes obvious. . .

My poor neice must think I am an oddball. She was driving back to Melbourne from Healesville when we can across roadworks; the flouro cones (larger and more flouro than ours) were out - you couldn't miss it. There was the kit (generator and other bits and bobs) and blokes not so frantically working within the safety cordon of cones one needed sunglasses for. The roadworks couldn't have been longer than 50' over the left lane of a dual lane carriageway. We had to merge into the right lane. when suddenly, not one, but two blokes wacing a lollipop emblazoned with "SLOW" suddenly appeard within the edge of the safety cone zone. One bloke was waving it as if his life depended on it. I almost burst my britches laughing - H&S gone absolutely mad. Signs were out warning us of the impending roadworks and to slow down. I know there are idiot drivers (I was probably one of them in my younger days) who won't slow down for roadworks, but I don't think two lollipop men are going to make that much of a difference.

I guess you had to be there, but it was funny.

It's even worse than you think Jerry. Those lollypop men are highly paid. Why, you ask... surely its a good job for dumb guys?

The explanation is that it is potentially dangerous on account of how they could become victims of road rage.

No kidding, but I wish I was.

My neice told me they were pretty well paid - danger money - I would have thought the danger is they would fall asleep on the job and i the way of a car.. spacer.png

I would guess it would be one of the most closed shop jobs on the street - a case of not what you don't know - but who you know...