SILLY SIGNS. . . . .LET'S START A THREAD ?

Phil Perry

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't ecall seeing any of these on this thread:

Can religion really help?

spacer.png

Booze bus just around the corner:

spacer.png

Almost as good as the Lisa and Bart Simpson silhouette in the 2012 Olympics Logo:

spacer.png

False advertising?

spacer.png

And, for when we have lost our medical:

spacer.png

[ATTACH=full]2110[/ATTACH]

My last Aussie car was a VS commodore S model (as I wanted a manual). After a year, it had 60K clicks on it (I commuted from South Melb to Morwell). Build quality was fair, seats were uncomfortable and the air conditioning spewed something out that could be seen mucking up the inside of the windscreen. Engine purred though and it really went pretty well.

After having it from new for a year, moved to the UK and my brother used it on a more sedate route to work from one suburb of Melboourne to another a few Ks down the road. Came back for a holiday - took it to Lightening Ridge and on the way, there bonnet started vibrating. So I popped it, and as I opened it, the spring latched fired well into the air. Recovered it and fixed it back into position; no worries.

4 years later and by then it had put a whole 20K more on the clock, I moved to Aus with the new bub and missus. Reclaimed the car. Paint was shot as it lived under a tree for most of the time, but still went well.. Then it popped a synchro on the reverse gear and, on lending it to step-father-in-law, the diff had a nice whine when he returned from Sydney. Thankfully, my ol' mechanic was still in business and did a good deal on both. Then the ignition harness packed it in, but by this stage, my ol mechanic had sold and the new guy was charging as much as a holden dealer (so I went somewhere else, and it was a bit cheaper).

Went to Caloundra for a 2 week holiday in it, stopped at a mates place in Brissie; he had a EA Faclon with 160k on the clock; front door lock was buggahed, but apart form that, had not probs with it...

Thankfully I got a manual, which in '95 was apparently not the done thing. I sold it n 2010 and the dealer I sold it to gave me a good price as petrol heads went for the manual; no one wanted an old Commodore auto..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did look it up:

Goiter[edit]

Cruciferous vegetables can potentially be goitrogenic (inducing goiter formation). They contain enzymes that interfere with the formation of thyroid hormone in people with iodine deficiency.[19][20][unreliable source?] Cooking for 30 minutes significantly reduces the amount of goitrogens and nitriles. At high intake of crucifers, the goitrogens inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone and also the transfer of iodine into milk by the mammary gland.[21][unreliable source?]

Nursing[edit]

Brassica species may cause baby colic in breast-feeding, although the evidence for this is not strong.

Drug and toxin metabolism[edit]

Chemicals contained in cruciferous vegetables induce the expression of the liver enzyme CYP1A2.[11] Furthermore, some drugs such as haloperidol and theophylline are metabolized by CYP1A2. Consequently, consumption of cruciferous vegetables may decrease bioavailability and half-life of these drugs.[12]

Brassicaceae contain a number of compounds under preliminary research for their potential hepato-protective properties.[13] Alliaceous and cruciferous vegetable consumption may induce glutathione S-transferases, uridine diphosphate-glucuronosyl transferases, and quinone reductases[14] all of which are potentially involved in detoxification of carcinogens such as aflatoxin.[15] High consumption of cruciferous vegetables has potential risk from allergies, interference with drugs like warfarin and genotoxicity.[16][17]

Which is all bloody typical. I like to eat many of vegetables in this list:

List of cruciferous vegetables[edit]

Extensive selective breeding has produced a large variety of cultivars, especially within the genus Brassica. One description of genetic factors involved in the breeding of Brassica species is the Triangle of U.

The taxonomy of common cruciferous vegetables

common name genus specific epithet Cultivar group

Horseradish Armoracia rusticana

Land cress Barbarea verna

Ethiopian mustard Brassica carinata

Kale Brassica oleracea Acephala group

Collard greens Brassica oleracea Acephala group

Chinese broccoli (gai-lan) Brassica oleracea Alboglabra group

Cabbage Brassica oleracea Capitata group

Savoy cabbage Brassica oleracea Savoy Cabbage group

Brussels sprouts Brassica oleracea Gemmifera group

Kohlrabi Brassica oleracea Gongylodes group