Why can't a man be just like a woman?

old man emu

I never worked with someone had had a transormation, but I did work with a gay guy who was a nice enough bloke and did his job well. It was just some of the things he would say, like "laughing my tits off". My wife worked with a gay guy who lived with another bloke and their dog. He was a good friend to my wife, annd both attended her memorial service.  There was another guy she worked with who always dressed like an executive at work, but we were invited to his birthday at his home, and he greeted us in a dress and high heels.

I have no problem with them if they keep that side of their life at home. If they do a good job, there is no problem. If they constantly 'camp it up', it would turn me off. 

The thing I cannot accept, in males, females or whatever, is body modification or adornment. I dislaike tattoos on anyone, particularly women. It looks dirty, and on women, makes them look cheap. It's like keying a Jag. And piercinngs are a big no-no. A piercing on the earlobe of a female, with a small pin is OK, but rings through the nose, lip or eyebrow is definitely out. And the current fashion on Instagram, Snap Chat, etc., of balloon lips is hideous.

filledlips.thumb.jpg.a5d1dadd501224697c88712aab4e989e.jpgpiercings.thumb.jpg.77cdd4da3f249917c9e0244479d59e4c.jpgtattooedfemale.thumb.jpg.b7fd4b639294c33db7da62d673ebeee6.jpgtattooface.thumb.jpg.abd5e9a3fa56abadf2cbc1ad2ae12e68.jpg

tacklebox.thumb.jpg.17102056153a94a79bff23e35f15ea56.jpg

No way:

18 hours ago, red750 said:

I never worked with someone had had a transormation, but I did work with a gay guy who was a nice enough bloke and did his job well. It was just some of the things he would say, like "laughing my tits off". My wife worked with a gay guy who lived with another bloke and their dog. He was a good friend to my wife, annd both attended her memorial service.  There was another guy she worked with who always dressed like an executive at work, but we were invited to his birthday at his home, and he greeted us in a dress and high heels.

I have no problem with them if they keep that side of their life at home. If they do a good job, there is no problem. If they constantly 'camp it up', it would turn me off. 

The thing I cannot accept, in males, females or whatever, is body modification or adornment. I dislaike tattoos on anyone, particularly women. It looks dirty, and on women, makes them look cheap. It's like keying a Jag. And piercinngs are a big no-no. A piercing on the earlobe of a female, with a small pin is OK, but rings through the nose, lip or eyebrow is definitely out. And the current fashion on Instagram, Snap Chat, etc., of balloon lips is hideous.

filledlips.thumb.jpg.a5d1dadd501224697c88712aab4e989e.jpgpiercings.thumb.jpg.77cdd4da3f249917c9e0244479d59e4c.jpgtattooedfemale.thumb.jpg.b7fd4b639294c33db7da62d673ebeee6.jpgtattooface.thumb.jpg.abd5e9a3fa56abadf2cbc1ad2ae12e68.jpg

tacklebox.thumb.jpg.17102056153a94a79bff23e35f15ea56.jpg

No way:

These pictures represent the most extreme cases and I have never come across individuals like this I would suspect that they are a rarity. Picture 3 is one I don't find challenging at all and in fact I can understand the aesthetic choice here. If that were some kind of lacey sleeve no one would care.  As for the others I would find them challenging if I came face to face with them (which I haven't)  I would file it under a person I don't quite understand and I would move on.    We do live in times when people are probably too easily offended. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, octave said:

If that were some kind of lacey sleeve no one would care.

But you can take a sleeve off. I understand, but do't agree with the tribal tattoos, but anything else is desecration of your body, like pouring paint over Capt Cook statues.  I know no-one else will agree with me, that's just my feeling. Just like I agree with scrapping a second safe injecting room in Melbourne. If they die of an overdose, that's their choice. No-one forced them to start taking drugs and get hooked. 

• Agree 2

Just now, red750 said:

But you can take a sleeve off. I unnderstand, but do't agree with the tribal tattoos, but anything else is desecration of your body, like pouring paint over Capt Cook statues.  I know no-one else will agree with me, that's just my feeling. Just like I agree with scrapping a second safe injecting room in Melbourne. If they die of an overdose, that's their choice. No-one forced them to start taking drugs and get hooked. 

I know someone who is disgusted by fat people. they hate seeing them and they resent them and believe they soak up too much of the health budget.  I disagree, I think people make choices good and bad but none of us are perfect. I prefer to be tolerant and empathetic partly I suppose for selfish reasons. I am not spending my days being angry about what others do unless it is directly negatively affecting me. This helps me stave off depression and anger.

• Like 1

You are pretty Black and White, Red.. I don't like tattoos or clips either but it IS THEIR  body.  and as far as  I know NOT Compulsory. Ask yourself Why does it $#1t ME so much?. WE are another generation.  Why would they want to be like us?. Peer group pressure affects all of us. to some extent. I could not care less about following fashion. Why give others any power over what you wear?  ( Or anything else for that matter).Nev

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I couldn't care about my fashion either.

BUT

I could be arrested if I wore my " birthday suit " in public. 

spacesailor

Have you looked in the mirror lately? 

3 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

There's an Old fella in the mirror

I am not sure whether I want to think about your old fella in the mirror, no offence!

Edited by octave
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, red750 said:

Because it looks bloody ugly.

Well, picture #2 and probably #3 are far prettier than me,  and even the lady with the fat lips in #1 is too... so I'm not going to judge.

As to the injecting rooms, I find that a bit harsh.  We don't know what shit people have gone through in their lives that led to them being addicted to drugs.  It's a medical problem, not a legal or moral one, and it's bloody hypocritical for us to say that one type of addictive drug (eg alcohol, nicotine, sugar) is legal and another type isn't.  If everything were legalised, produced in clean factories instead of basements and tested, there'd be less crime and premature death and the cartels would go out of business.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, octave said:

I know someone who is disgusted by fat people.

I was the fat kid at school, and am still too heavy. However, I've lived my three score and ten as a large person, but I was never as massive as so many people I see.  Both my kids are amongst the massive, and I said to my son recently, I'd rather be looking up at you from my grave, than looking down at you in yours. I am afraid that they won't see seventy because their hearts will give out. But suggest to them that they should rip the weight off before they reach 45 and they will howl you down.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Sugar is a " natural " product . Just cut the " cane " & squeeze the sap out . Liquid sugar. 

Much better than those " chemical " alternatives. 

spacesailor

Well, then so are opium, cannabis and magic mushrooms.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, red750 said:

like pouring paint over Capt Cook statues

Peter, I  do agree with that.

I don't  agree with making a fuss about it because these folk are not desecrating anybody else's statuew - only their own. Besides that aspect, my only judgement of the pics you posted, is that some folk do stuff purely to draw attention, and to me, thats a waste of time.

Here is a picture of the barista from the cafe that recently opened about 300 metres from where I live.  When you and I look at this picture I think we are seeing very different things.  Because my wife and I are coffee hobbyists to the extent that we buy green raw beans and roast them and blend them ourselves we have little need for a cafe so close to home.  We do go once a week partly to support a new business but mainly because we love chatting to this guy and his partner.  He is fascinated with our home roaster and we are going to invite him around to watch a roasting. He also has a lot of knowledge that he is happy to share with us. You could not hope to meet a friendlier person.

I don't know why he has many tattoos and I don't really care. Tattoos are probably the least interesting thing about him.  When I walk down the street I don't need to approve of everybody's dress or grooming. It seems kind of arrogant to have this expectation that everyone should look how I want them to.  I do wonder if being less concerned about this kind of thing leads to a happier life. 

l434337329_17918273510879919_8587353439003003342_n.thumb.jpg.715293ded57cecdc223c8150c11fbc70.jpg 

Also, you may be happy to read this article.

Are tattoos about to become uncool? Soon many young people will know them as something their parents have

• Like 2

I was also the fat kid in high school. 16 stone (224 lb, 101.6 kg). My father was 22 st, (308 lb, 139.7 kg.)

We were poor, Dad collected empty bottles from shearers quarters on sheep stations around Deniliquin and took them to Melbourne to cash them in at the glass factory. I had to deliver newspapers before school to earn enough to buy my school uniform.

I had quite a few nicknames, suffered a bit of bullying. One group of 3 tough guys used to hide along the way home, to jump out and chase me home. I had very few friends, mainly neighbours. My parents could not afford enough to let me go to school social functions. I was terrible at all sports at school - football (AFL), cricket, basketball, tennis, softball. Bad hand/eye co-ordination. My position at sports was scorekeeper. I never learned to dance as a teenager, went to a dancing school in my mid 20's, where I met my wife.

My passion was aviation so started saving when I began working, and learned to fly at age 23, getting my licence at 24. That was my biggest achievement to that date.

I never had money for alcohol or drugs, learned to live with whatever. Realised that after the effects of the crutch wore off, you would be back where you started, which is what causes addiction and dependency.

• Informative 1

Been a bit busy this weel, so catching up.. This is how I relax.. I need a life!

On 23/04/2024 at 9:13 AM, red750 said:

but don't agree with the tribal tattoos, but anything else is desecration of your body, like pouring paint over Capt Cook statues. 

With greatest respect, this is your taste. There are others (although for most of those pictures, I would say well in the minority) that may find that stuff attractive and decorative...  Certainly the third photo was not offensve to me and didn't seem excessive. There is a girl who works at the local shop who has not quite as much metal in her face as the second photo. When I first saw her, I thought what a shame - she was otherwise attractive, but totally off-putting to me - not that what an almost 60 year old bloke thinks about athe attractiveness or otherwise of a early 20 year old girl makes a difference in the world - as if I am something the ladies throw their feet at - yeah, right..

But, I found myself talking to her for about 10 minutes - she was an absolute lovely young lady - well articulate, polite, considerate (no - she didn't ask if I needed a Zimmer frame) who had just finished a physics - yes physics degree. She removed all the armour when gooing for job interviews, but she wasn't having any luck. I suggested she keep an eye out for interns at banks because her maths would be in very good demand. She plitely said her morals wouldn't let her work for a bank... Her boyfriend rocked up and he had a face full ofg metal, too.. Works for a charity or something. I guess those into that stuff are attracted by others into that stuff.

Also goes to show - you really can't judge a book by its cover.. By the time I had finished talking with her, I was thinking if I were 35 years younge I may well have compromised my tolerance for that stuff if I had met her.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

I wonder what the technology is like these days for removing tattoos if they decide later they don't want them or some of them. There's a growing trend these days among young women to get small, perceivably (in their eyes) cute tattoos. The ones I'm referring to are not full inked, just fine outlines. Things like their grandmother's initials, a small cowboy boot, little stars and dots on the back of their hands and stuff like that. It's less disfiguring but some girls don't know when to stop so it can get to the point of looking like graffiti. You would think those small, fine outline scribblings would be reversible to an extent.

Quite often the process of getting more and more tattoos is linked to the influence of peers and becomes a joint fashion thing. A person in a relationship with someone into tattoos can start going down the same path if their partner and a lot of their friends are getting them. I don't know how factual it is, but some say our Celtic ancestors had a lot of tattoos.

3 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

With greatest respect, this is your taste.

You are absolutely right, and again it looks like I'm in the minority. Quite familiar with that. But to me, they just look dirty. Maybe because I'm an old phart, turn 80 in six months. You see a nice looking young lady, then she takes off her jacket and has black and blue from wrist to shoulder. Yuk. Like she has been through a meat grinder. If she has to have a tattoo, a heart or butterfly no bigger than a 10c coin, behind the ear or on the ankle might be OK.