Food

willedoo

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Good tomato  sliced with ham. Cheese and honey with wholemeal bun.  Cucumber goes with cheese. Try sourdough bread. . Fluffed up Omelette on wholemeal toast Add grated cheese on top  of the omelette. If you add it to the omelette it sticks to the Pan..Use Dried tomato on sandwiches goes with a strong cheese. add cider vinegar to salads. Include pickled onions occasionally They keep for ages.. Make your own marmalade , tomato sauce plum sauce and green tomato pickles. Make a batch of pumpkin soup. Banana's have potassium, Dark berries are really good. Grow your own beetroot. It tastes much better than anything you're likely to buy, As you food getas more tasty cut down the salt you use. Adding salt is addictive and it masks  the other flavours.  Nev

Green tomato pickles from a family recipe over 200 years old. Incredible flavour, problem is all the " friends" come calling and want some jars off it.

The crap chemical 333's are not real pickled tomato.

• Informative 2

My tomatoes are producing .

Too many at once . Just like the fruit trees I planted,  an abundance at ' one ' instance .

Then back to the shops .

( I give plenty to my neighbour . But they like them unripened ( green ))

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
A little more !
  • Informative 1

Roma tomatoes are good to grow. Very prolific, sometimes you can get an incredible amount per bush if conditions are right. I once tried growing Black Russian tomatoes but they had a bad habit of the skin splitting. I got them and a bunch of other heirloom seeds on evilbay. I had some funny looking South American pumpkins growing as well as Ironbark pumpkins.

• Informative 1

18 hours ago, willedoo said:

When I was in my mid 20's I had a brief career driving interstate. One problem is you are restricted to roadhouse food because it's the only place where you can park the truck. It's not real healthy stuff and some of those truckies had big appetites. One time in Adelaide, me and a workmate had to stop over the weekend to load the following Monday. My truck was stuck inside a factory, but we unhitched his prime mover and used it for transport over the weekend. We went to the drive-in theater; ok as long as we parked up the back. The pizza delivery bloke delivered pizzas to us at the drive-in, so that was a good break from roadhouse fare.

I don't know how the truck drivers of subcontinental origin get by with roadhouse food. There's so many of them now, the roadhouses will have to start stocking rice and curry. A lot of them are Sikhs, but as far as I know vegetarian food is not compulsory for them even though a lot are vegetarians.

Probably take home packed meals. 

• Like 2

Unless 

You get stopped at a ' fruitfly ' inspection station. 

Then you have to throw , ( what you bought down the road ) it away even , into the adjacent  field .

But , you can legally bring a jar of live fruitfly through  ! .

I asked that question! .

Edited by spacesailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

' fruitfly ' inspection station

With so much produce being imported, I wonder how much "fruit fly" inspection is being carried out on the wharves.

How did the fire ants get in? Or that parasite of bees. Seem the countries we export to can ban our products for the flimsiest of reasons, but it's an open door policy here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

At night, my place is invaded by tiny insects drawn to the lights. I try to kill them with insect spray, but I think that only works if they drown in the liquid. The chemicals don't seem to do anything but add an aroma to the room.

So how efficient is the process of people walking through the cabin of arriving international flights spraying insecticide?

• Informative 1

Not good at all. I doubt it's still done. Planes going to PNG and Darwin often got the big flying roaches on board but they get in confined spaces out of sight mostly where that spray wouldn't reach. 

OME I'm using those blue electric things that zap them, but I think the small BATS that are around here do a pretty good job  with small insects.. Nev

• Informative 1

We use Exterra termite traps, they use termite bait stations buried in the ground with small pieces of tasty timber in them, and these bait stations are regularly checked for termites.

If termites are sighted chewing on the bait timber, they're not disturbed, but a "harmless, safe" toxin is added to the bait station to kill the termites.

It took us years to find out what that "harmless, safe" toxin was. It turns out, it's a product called Chlorfluazuron.

This chemical is a benzoylurea insecticide, an organochlorine insecticide, an organofluorine insecticide, and a dichlorobenzene.

Despite all the huge chemical description names, it is apparently non-toxic to humans and mammals.

Chlorfluazuron works by inhibiting the production of the chitin which forms the new shell that gives termites protection after they moult into a larger version of themselves. So the colony ends up dying.

https://exterra.com.au/about/how-exterra-works/

https://termikill.com.au/chlorfluazuron-why-dont-we-call-it-a-poison/

• Like 1
  • Informative 1