Food

willedoo

Well, we had leftover potatoes, cauliflower and other bits that  would normally go to waste. Instead, I went to the go to recipe for this stuff - bubble and squeak (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bubble-squeak).

But, I changed it slightly. First, no bacon (streaky or otherwise) as we couldn't get our brand which has no nitrates/preservatives. Gladly, we had no Brussels Sprouts left, so it was cold pre-boiled cabbage. We had leftover Cauliflower and cheese, so the cauliflower covered in cheese was added to the crushed leftover potatoes, , but no excess cheese. I added a small amount  diced turkey, diced mushroom (probably a cup each), and some dried oregano at the same time as the cabbage.

Throughout the cooking, I had the stove set to 8 (highest is 9, except for the fast boil).As we had no bacon, the onions and garlic went straight in. I stirred all the way through so as neither would burn - for about two minutes, then added the cabbage, mushrooms, and oregano. It did take about 10 minutes more or less constantly stirring and then added the turkey (not the same time as the cabbage as I previously mentioned). From there, I followed the recipe.

Served it with a snag and a couple of unused pre-prepared small duck spring rolls Everyone had seconds of the Bubble and Squeak.

Oh yeah.. added a moderate amount of cracked black pepper at the same time as the cabbage, etc.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

Bubble and Squeak was always on the breakfast menu when I was in the Army. It was quite acceptable - mashed potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and leftover green veggies, most times.

Don't recall the Army version having bacon or onion in it, but it might have had a bit. I guess they used eggs and maybe a bit of flour to hold it all together. The Army B&S patties held together well, unlike a lot of the efforts I see on the 'net.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have found a good laxative is coleslaw. I buy those little plastic cups of coleslaw and use them in sandwiches, with things like ham, cheese, tomato etc. I had problems with constipation when I had the bowel hernia, but now I am as regular as clockwork.

• Informative 2

It's roast time today. I pulled a half leg of lamb out of the freezer a few days back, so lunch today will be roast lamb, roast potatoes and a nice range of salads.

It's cooler today, so a good day for cooking a roast, and it will give us some cold meat during the week, as it heats up again. Next weekend is looking like a scorcher.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

It's roast time today. I pulled a half leg of lamb out of the freezer a few days back, so lunch today will be roast lamb, roast potatoes and a nice range of salads.

It's cooler today, so a good day for cooking a roast, and it will give us some cold meat during the week, as it heats up again. Next weekend is looking like a scorcher.

Since becoming a seafood only eater five years ago, the only meat I miss is lamb. I used to love the stuff and was brought up on it and despite the paddocks full of sheep I'd eaten over the years, never tired of it once. My dad had a small British Breed sheep stud that he established just after the war. Dorset Downs they were, not common here but a fairly popular breed in NZ and naturally England. They are a short wooled meat breed and the Australians have bred them into a long legged variety in comparison to the short-arse Kiwi and English versions. More distance for the sheep to travel on Australian farms, so the long legs were a better option here.

Years ago, he used to buy first cross Border Leicester/ Merino ewes and put Dorset Down rams over them to produce fat lambs for market. There was just no lamb like it on the planet in that cross bred combination. Just think of the best lamb you've ever eaten and multiply it by 10. The taste was something else. You could eat lamb like that forever.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I think an animal's diet has a big influence on taste of the meat. I never liked grain fed beef with all that fat through the meat. I thought it was tasteless compared to nice grass fed beef with the yellowish selvage.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1