Food

willedoo

I've read where putting banana peels in water for a couple of days then pouring that on tomatoes works wonders Apparently the best bit of the peel is where the banana attaches to the tree. If you have a lot of tomatoes, you'd need a lot of peels. 

• Informative 2

On 16/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, willedoo said:

If you grow too many vegetables, a lot of stuff can be frozen and used later in soups, stews, stir frys and casseroles. A lot of stuff I dice up then in a cake mixing bowl, mix it up with a small amount of olive oil until it all has a light coat of oil. The oil does a couple of things. It stops the product from freezing rock hard, and with green things it helps keep the green colour and stops it going black in the freezer. After rolling it in oil, put it in a large cliplock freezer bag in a thin layer (like flat packing it) and squeeze the air out. With a thin layer of frozen product, you can easily break off small pieces as needed.

Herbs like rocket and basil are good frozen that way and last a long time. Occasionally I've grated vegetables like carrot and sweet potato before freezing. I never blanch anything. Chilies freeze well and don't need oil, just put them straight in the freezer bag. Some people don't like freezing vegetables, but I like to keep a stockpile of food in the place. I live out of town and don't want to be always driving to town for fresh food.

Apparently in interwebby protocol, it's supposed to be bad form to quote your own posts, but I have an update on this freezing method. This afternoon, I put on a big pot of borscht which I usually spice up with some ginger and chili, as well as adding some greens like basil, rocket and a bit of kale or something similar. In the bottom depths of the freezer, I found a pack of kale dated 13/5/2022 and it was as green and fresh as the day it went into the freezer despite being over 18 months old.

As said in the original post, the olive oil keeps the colour of green stuff in the freezer and makes it easy to break a chunk off. Coated in olive oil, the product freezes but in a soft, pliable state rather than the moisture content turning to ice and creating a rock hard state.

Just to revisit the process, I dice the product then roll it in olive oil in a bowl. You don't need an excessive amount of oil, just enough to give a uniform coating. I then put it in a cliplock bag and flatten out the contents so it's only about 10mm thick at most. With the large bags, I clip most of the seal up but leave a small opening to expel the last bit of air. Then fold the bag over in half and press down to squeeze the last air out before sealing completely. The more air you can get out, the better. Folding the large bags in half makes them easier to store in the freezer. Using this method, I've had basil that was over two years in the freezer and still as good as gold.

• Like 2

I remember being in a shop a few months back and they only had garlic with very small cloves. The lady behind the counter told me she'd been to India and seen similar garlic and the local women would spend hours peeling the cloves in bulk by hand.

I've found that those small cloves are really nice cooked whole and not peeled. Just cut off the hard pointy ends and throw them straight in the pot with the papery outer skin still on them. ok for stir-frys, but it really comes into it's own with slow cooked, stew type pot meals. Cooked whole in their own skin, they stew in their casing and become really sweet and tasty. Way better than the usual sliced and fried garlic.

• Like 3

I've got a cheap Chinese vacuum food sealer which works great for extending the life of foods. Things like bacon and fish and other perishable items last a lot longer if they're vacuum-bagged again after you've opened the original packet.

I also freeze a lot of our cheese as it greatly prolongs its life. Shredded cheese, such as parmesan and cheddar used as toppings, last for ages in the freezer and they only take minutes to thaw out enough to shake out.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Well, today I bought some broccoli and a chunk of pumpkin. I'll cut the broccoli florets off the stem and then slice the stems. After that, I'll blanch them in boiling water; drop them into chilled ware to stop cooking; drain, bag a freeze. I'll cut the pumpkin into small pieces and put it through the same process. I also bough 1 kg of spuds, from which I'll make mashed potato and fill a 12 hole patty cake tin with the mash and freeze it.

Come time to cook dinner, I'll throw some broccoli and store-bought mixed vegetables in a container, and one patty of mash and two bits of pumpkin in a bowl. Then I'll microwave each container for about 2 minutes and serve with a piece of protein.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

19 minutes ago, willedoo said:

That's a neat trick ome. Where did you learn that one?

I was buying frozen prepared mashed potato from Woolies, ALDI and IGA. Different brands, but all made in Belgium. I decided that I would support Aussie spud farmers. I  took a look at the recommended serving size and saw it was 100 gms. I had a 12 hole patty cake tin. Well 1000 ÷ 12 = 80. Close enough for government work, and a way to cut down on carbs.

Just make the mashed potato as you like it. I use milk and a bit of spreadable butter. I only use pure butter for baking. I'm lucky that the holes in the tin are square. I don't know how much a typical cupcake hole would hold. Stick the tin into the freezer and when frozen, knock the mash blocks out and bung them in a freezer bag. I find that 2 minutes from frozen in the microwave makes the mash hot. I usually whisk it with a fork and a dribble of milk to make it really smooth.

• Informative 1

I was a little taken aback by the size (16L) of the current ALDI air-fryer offering, and it appears to be a "family-sized"model. I would be struggling to find a place to store it.

There's only the two of us so a much smaller unit would be the go for us. I sighted a 5.7L Phillips in Big W last weekend but wasn't in the least impressed by it.

!!!!! URGENT !!!!!

There is a mistake in this recipe!

The amount of butter should be 250 GRAMS

On 15/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, old man emu said:

Getting back to Helpful HInts for the Housewife, here's my recipe for fruit mince tarts.

INGREDIENTS:

Standard 250 ml measuring cup used as required.

One 410 gm jar of Robertson's Fruit Mince

250 gms butter - diced, but chilled.

3/4 cup sugar - Castor sugar mixes better than regular sugar with the other dry ingredients.

1/2 cup corn flour

1/2 cup custard powder

1 cup self raising flour

2 cups plain flour

1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

1 egg- beaten, For glazing.

EQUIPMENT:

A bowl of chilled water - for keeping your hands cold while working the pastry.

A large mixing bowl

A flour sifter

A broad-bladed knife for mixing the dough.

A rolling pin

A round pastry cutter - a drinking glass works well.

A 12-hole patty cake tin

METHOD:

1. Preheat the oven to 220C for a normal oven. You might drop it to 210 for a fan-forced oven according to the manufacturer's advice.
  2. Sift all the dry ingredients together three times to aerate and to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
  3. Wet the butter with the vanilla essence.
  4. Cool your hands in the chilled water and dry them 
  5. Rub the butter/essence into the dry ingredients with your finger tips until it is evenly combined throughout the dry ingredients and no lumps remain. If it takes a while, cool your fingers in the chilled water and dry them before recommencing.
  6. Add chilled water to the mix about a teaspoon at a time and mix with the knife until it begins to ball up. Don't let the dough get wetter than damp. Don't work it for too long
  7. Using your fingers form a ball which should be smooth and firm. Do not overwork it.

Since you will be making these pies in summer, it would be wise to chill the pastry in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling it out.

1. Very lightly flour where you are going to roll the pastry.
  2. Divide the pastry into two equal amounts.
  3. Roll out one lot of dough forming a sheet about that is about 1/8" (3mm) thick. Don't overwork the pastry.
  4. Cut out the number of circles needed to make the lids for the pies.
  5. Add the left-over pastry from the lids to the other amount and roll it out again to an 1/8" (3mm) sheet. Don't overwork the pastry.
  6. Cut out the number of circles to make the pie cases. (My patty cake tin is 70mm in diameter and 25 mm deep. Therefore the circles have to be 120mm diameter.

ASSEMBLY:

1. Line the patty cake holes with the large rounds, pressing them to conform to the shape of the hole.
  2. Put one teaspoon of Robertson's Fruit Mince into each pie case. Repeat. If that has sufficiently filled the case, you can eat the rest of the mince later. 
  3. Moisten the edges of the cases with water and put on the lids
  4. Decorate the edges of the lids by pinching the pastry. 
  5. Make a small vent hole in the centre of the lids.
  6. Trim off any excess pastry from the cases.
  7. Glaze the lids with the beaten egg.
  8. Sprinkle regular grain-sized sugar over the tops of the pies.

COOKING:

1. Check that the oven has reached either 210C (fan-forced) or 220C (conventional).
  2. Place pies on the middle shelf of the oven.
  3. Cook for 20 minutes before checking.
  4. Rotate the patty cake pan 180 degrees and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and cool in the cake pan.

STORAGE:

1. When cold, store the pies in an airtight container.
  2. Conceal the container in an inaccessible location to prevent pilfering before the correct serving time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And a bit to do with our parents, and theirs, and so on...

Back to food...

Turkey (the bird) is a Christmas tradition here and the mere suggestion of not having it would land me in the dog house. However, it has to be the most overrated food on earth. So good, people only eat it once a year!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

When you raise poultry as we now do commercially, the birds don't get the type of food that wild birds would get, not do they get the exercise to develop their muscles. These factors must surely alter the taste of the meat, or more correctly fail to produce flavour in the meat. The days of raising a few chickens and knocking the head of a rooster or two are long gone. With commercially produced poultry, the birds produce enough muscle mass, but it is undeveloped, like veal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1