Daniel Andrews resigns

red750

He did say that ng Premier was a 24/7 job. Who of us would want to work that long for so long for not much and be missing out on the joys of life that the rest of us enjoy? 

Sure, he chose to go into politics, but very few people nowadays remain in the same career all their lives. He entered parliament in 2002. Surely 21 years is long enough in the same job. 

What would you have done to defeat COVID when there was no precedent for dealing with it? Was he helped by the stuff ups of the Federal Government which failed to get vaccines? Was he helped by the anti-vaxxer nutcases spreading their misinformation? 

Shakespeare said it about all politicians when he put into Mark Anthony's mouth the words "The evil that men do lives after them; The good is oft interrèd with their bones”.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

VICTORIA

First with their no gas in new housing !, 

WHY NOT, separate " Grey water from black " , then use the  grey water on the garden. ( as those new houses in Kurrajong Sydney ) .

Makes Far more sense than putting ' CNG ' bottles outside houses .

One of my daughters ( up north ) are on ' bottled gas & lots here in Sydney are on bottled gas too .

spacesailor

• Like 1

From my side of the country, Daniel Andrew appears to have been in the same mould as Colin Barnett in W.A. - who spent like a drunken sailor, pixxed $350M of taxpayers money on a rusty power station that he was told wasn't worth repairing - and it then had to be scrapped after he blew the $350M. Barnett left W.A. with a massive State debt (approaching $40B) and we lost our premium credit rating because of him.

Now Andrews has left Victoria with something like $200B in State debt, no sign of where the money will come from to pay it off - except for massive debt repayments for 20 or 30 years to come. 

I see nothing that Andrews has done to ensure energy security for Victoria, flood-proofing Victoria, ensuring water security for the State for the next 100 years - and to top it all off, he told everyone he'd see out this full term, and then present for re-election for a 4th term. Add to that, he's even chucked in his seat, so the State is now up for the additional cost of a by-election.

If I was a Victorian, I'd be saying, "don't let the door hit you on the arse, on the way out!". I reckon spenaroo might have hit the nail on the head, he's heading for cover right as he sees all the cracks he's papered over for years, starting to open right up.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

How do you get accurate information about Victoria in WA?. From the TV and newspapers??  The debt is related to COVD and when you don't know everything about some new Lurgi. CAUTION is best. There's level crossings and infrastructure which is essential being done and you can't flood proof a place that has little fall across  most of it. A lot of older and susceptible people are ALIVE today who wouldn't have been if Abbott had his way HE openly said the OLDIES have had a good innings so just carry on like normal and stuff them. The attack by the media on Andrews was the worst I can recall since Gillard days. THEY were scared of His popularity and that he might run for a FEDERAL position, and they never let up  a lot of it being absolute fabrication.  Nev

• Like 1

you can't flood proof a place that has little fall across  most of it

Nev, that's rubbish. Of course you can flood proof a place that has little fall across it. I've spent years doing flood mitigation works in large flat areas of W.A. It's all about ensuring floodwaters can get away rapidly without restrictions, and slowing the amount of floodwaters further back upstream.

How did Victoria manage to incur so much COVID debt when other States didn't? Could it have been as a result of a badly-managed COVID response?

Level crossing removal can only be a good thing, but the fact they're still there after nearly 170 years of railways in Victoria only shows how little effort was put in to infrastructure improvements in Victoria for so many decades.

Despite attacking the level crossing problem, Andrews continued the backwardness in valuable infrastructure investment, with his failure to provide energy security, housing security for the battlers, and lower costs for small businesses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

How do you get accurate information about Victoria in WA?. From the TV and newspapers??  The debt is related to COVD and when you don't know everything about some new Lurgi. CAUTION is best. There's level crossings and infrastructure which is essential being done and you can't flood proof a place that has little fall across  most of it. A lot of older and susceptible people are ALIVE today who wouldn't have been if Abbott had his way HE openly said the OLDIES have had a good innings so just carry on like normal and stuff them. The attack by the media on Andrews was the worst I can recall since Gillard days. THEY were scared of His popularity and that he might run for a FEDERAL position, and they never let up  a lot of it being absolute fabrication.  Nev

As a millennial.... Abbot may have actually helped the liberal part if he continued with those comments.
would have helped the housing market.

but yeah I was living in Melbourne, through Andrews rein. still remember the east west link being torn up - pretty sure everyone at that stage had accepted and wanted to just build the thing, especially anyone who uses the bridge. - wasn't just contracts signed, property had been acquired. whole lot further along then his bullshit said it was. Also remember him saying he would build it - till about a week or two out of the election.
talked to people who voted for him and couldn't believe he did it - just assumed no-one was that petty

also remember the issues with the Paramedics and Firefighter's pay. The lockdowns and the ring of steel (worked in my favor, but still). 

He always came across to me as a man who put more importance on image and being important.

general opinion I encountered was that he would have been on his ass long ago - if the liberals could actually put up a somewhat decent opposition leader. may as well have been running un-opposed the last few elections

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

The "Shovel" seems like a very impartial publication, I don't think. Andrews may have saved some of your lives by being Cautious. .  It's Easy in retrospect to make these claims but I've had relatives DIE who were middle aged and others still suffering from serious Long term COVID symptoms. would you rather be guided by medical People or Politicians? .  Nev

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

Andrews may have saved some of your lives by being Cautious.

He also killed many by not allowing them to see relatives (old folk in nursing homes) and caused untold psychological damage to adults and children. Many of the medical people disagree with the lockdowns.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Well it's dominating the site pretty much,  Where does the serious stuff get the consideration it deserves?  Nev

image.jpeg.b9168e45ad7e59cbd17996813bc294d8.jpeg
On the original rec aviation site.
before you click off-topic to be re-directed to this linked, but separate forum.
- you know the one that was specifically created to keep it off the flying site

maybe look at this forums topic listing
image.thumb.png.a2bf364d5f3634da822ff7c18d23bd64.png

this site is probably more active because we cant fly at the moment with financial constraints caused by government and corporations.
maybe you should make a thread on the aviation side asking why?

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1