Daniel Andrews resigns

red750

Jeez even over here they begrudgingly accepted they had to lock down.. And too late made the UK one of the worst per capita deaths in the world.

A balance had to be struck. Remember Gladys and the cruise ship? 

I can't say I agreed with everything Dan did, but looking back on my professional life, I can't say I agree with every decision I made.

The Eastlink contracts were signed by the Libs in the caretaker period (or just before) to stick it to the Vics for voting ALP; and to help their mates.. Contracts signed October, DA elected premier December.. I would hardly think in 2 months everyone was thinking just get on and build it..

Remember, 9, merde-ok, 7 had it in for him and even the ABC weren't kind. With all that mud thrown at him, when lesser politicians have lost the fight, the people of Victoria still elected him.. 

Like all pollies, and it could be the press, he seems to have been crapping in his bed; with cover ups, stuff ups and the like.. and he has been around the time that a leader starts getting on the nose..

Has he left Vic in debt? Yes, but most was needed investment after previous governments (of both persuasions) neglected necessary investment but somehow still managed.to spend the money. 

Vic's credit rating is AA with a stable outlook. It is the lowest of the states but most of the debt was written when they were AAA, although new debt is written at higher rates and if the Treasury didn't write fixed rate bonds (will check when I am in the office), well that is on the treasury..

I have to admit, I am thinking when I finally move back, heading to a NSW border town around 3 hours from Melb to minimise taxes. Son is not warming to that idea though

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

lets not forget the belt and roads program.

the contracts were signed in that caretaker period sure. but the groundwork was done well before then.

I have been going through compulsory acquisition on my current property - it has taken 12 months with the legal aspect of it.

they had already acquired the property's through Hoddle St.

the planning had been well underway

The survey drilling was started in may 2012

- the stage 1 funding commitment was announced in may 2013 - at this time it was announced the contract would be signed in September, to break ground in October, before the November election

Project was all approved with some modifications on 30 June.

from Wikipedia:
A week before the November election Andrews said an "East West Link-type connection" could still be built under a Labor government if it was recommended by Infrastructure Victoria, an independent advisory board Labor planned to set up if it won government.[64] The day after Labor's win in the state election, Andrews confirmed that the East West Link would be abandoned[65] in favour of its $300 million alternative, the West Gate Distributor. However, the government left open the option of proceeding with the western section of the original road plan

also from Wikipedia his comments from September 2014:
Andrews said Labor had gained legal advice that if the court declared invalid the Planning Minister's decision to approve the project, "any contracts entered into will be beyond power and unenforceable" His basis for this is that the councils had an dispute going through the courts over the planning approval.

But it was all done above board - which is why it cost them $339 million to cancel.

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

What about making things that were Locked UP,  and costly to reverse? Consider  Dennis Napthines behaviour and Federal money was conditional upon it only being only the Federal  LNP approved terms. Talk about cherry picking FACTS. Victoria should be able to  decide HOW it spends the allocation of money due to it. As I said there's no other politician who's been subject to so much made up CRAP. Hurling hand grenades at Victoria Got Frydenburg  the LOSS of the most safe Liberal seat in Australia. Kooyong.  THE MEDIA is 100% against Dan whatever HE does. Past Premier of NSW Mike Baird said HE found Andrews honest and reliable and was "Hounded" by  Guy and the others. Lindsay Fox as well.. Nev

• Informative 2

Yes now that you ask. Red, I back up my stuff with facts but here it's a right wing stronghold where you told ME to stop  mentioning Abbot. you may recall. and I said that wasn't on. I didn't get far with that proposition. . Your last comment above is the most disappointing one I've had from you and I totally reject your misplaced TAKE on the situation. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Informative 1

@spenaroo, I'll deal with the Eastlink contract situation when I get home, but Turboplanner probably has insight to the planning mechanics.

Re the other stuff, this seems run of the mill for pollies - How many pollies have rowed back definite pledges let alone a statement saying something could still be done...

BTW, I did take a look at treasury bonds; most are fixed.coupon bullets, meaning their rates can't rise and therefore payments don't rise as is claimed in the media. 

The interest rates are consistent with NSW,though Vic has about double the active bonds in the market

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

He also killed many by not allowing them to see relatives (old folk in nursing homes)

I honestly can't understand this comment.  The evidence is pretty clear that aged care facilities were particularly vulnerable to COVID-19 as well as flu.   I would have loved to visit my father during the worst of the pandemic however it is obvious that multiple visitors especially before mass vaccination would have endangered many lives.  Some seem to have forgotten the terrible consequences of COVID-19 getting into vulnerable groups.  Senior doctor tells Newmarch House COVID-19 inquest of his 'crisis day' as the nursing home outbreak unfolded

The aged care facility my father was in adhered to the rules and because of this there were no cases or deaths from covid.   Now my mother is a resident in the same home.  Recently we were unable to visit because there was a case of gastro going around and many of the residents were ill and vulnerable.   I don't regard these rules as some kind of fascist regime but merely following good medical practice.

Different states handled the pandemic in slightly different ways but I would suggest all states put restrictions on aged care facilities.    

It is right and proper to analyze how the situation was handled, which things worked and which things didn't. Whilst of course understanding that this pandemic was not something any of us had any experience of.   

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Cancelling the Games was logical. WE were a last ditch offer to keep it going. No one else wanted it and when the hoped for money spending in regional centres looked wobbly as a good  ongoing investment it was cancelled.. Why not?  . Those who say it's bad for the Country's reputation are silent on  what the effect of the Voice failing will do to our overseas reputation. Nev

• Agree 1

Let's be fair about every government's handling of COVID. The last global pandemic was in 1919/20, one hundred years previously. What did we know about the causative agent of COVID? Nothing, apart from the fact that it was a virus of the  same subgenus as the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) virus. At least that opened the door to developing vaccines. Bit then we had those whose unprofessional opinions were splattered all over Soshul Meeja.

How do you protect people from a life-threatening emergency (fire, flood etc)? You get them away from the source and keep them away until the emergency passes. All governments introduced lock-downs to varying degrees. That was an approach that was followed in the Great Plague of 1665. If you don't learn from History, you suffer the consequences of your ignorance.

As for other politicians being shonky, where's the "shock, horror" of that revelation. We all now that politicians' shonkiness is par for the course. All Premiers are hard at it, trying to herd cats. Sure, they accept responsibility, good and bad, but there's a lot of 'what the eye doesn't see ..." going on behind Premiers' backs.

Infrastructure decisions? It is a proven fact that the provisions of infrastructure to alleviate today's traffic problems results in bigger problems after about 5 years.

And if Dan was leading such a bad mob, how come they won two elections with increasing majorities, especially in the second one, which usually has a fair amount of backlash. Isn't it being suggested that Labor will be returned next election?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

" ALL GOVERNMENTS " .

EXCEPT NSW , who told 800 INFECTED  " Carnival Majestic " cruise passengers " go Home " .

Now no, one seems to care, just shoot the other states ' premier's .

AND it's still here killing people DAILY .

NO BLOODY HEADLINES HERE . MOVE ON .

21 dead / 2300 new infections last week NSW .

Spacesailor

• Like 3

And if Dan was leading such a bad mob, how come they won two elections with increasing majorities, especially in the second one, which usually has a fair amount of backlash. Isn't it being suggested that Labor will be returned next election?

The result probably has more to to do with no decent opposition, ever since the Liberal Parties in most States folded up and disappeared up their own collective arses.

When the Libs can get over their inbred party structure, and produce policies that offer something to the Man in the Street, then perhaps they'll be able to offer up a viable Opposition again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

ALL legal,. Mud thrown is ground Lost. He WAS elected by a good margin in a clean contest which you should respect. Say he didn't work Hard if you dare.. HE gets to be Premier by the Parliamentary Party voting him in.. No one was killed in this exercise. Votes are what you need. I'm happy with that arrangement.  Nev