Are we True or simply Cultural believers in God?

old man emu

On 07/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, onetrack said:

I was surprised to find the association between Lesbos and lesbians is a lot more murky than we have been told. As with so much ancient culture, there's a lot lost in the translation and in ensuing individual opinions.

https://greekreporter.com/2023/06/09/greek-island-lesbos-word-lesbian/#:~:text=The etymology of “lesbian” and,of Lesbos' most famous inhabitants.

I disagree with the scholarly accuracy of that article.  The continuous use of lesbian and the modern words formed from it are from late 19c. Its meaning "relating to homosexual relations between women, characterized by erotic interest in other women"  has been in continuous use from 1890; the noun lesbianism from this sense is attested from 1870, and the noun, which is first recorded 1925.

Before this, the principal figurative use of Lesbian was "lesbian rule" (c. 1600 and especially common in 17c.) a mason's rule of lead, of a type used in ancient times on Lesbos, which could be bent to fit the curves of a molding; hence, figuratively, "pliant morality or judgment."  Lesbian rules were originally constructed of a pliable kind of lead found on the island of Lesbos. Nowadays we call them flexible curves.

image.thumb.jpeg.ccf6f47f44245c8793775f123aabdd9c.jpeg

• Informative 2

Once you come to the realisation that chance and coincidence can happen to anyone, the evil don't always get punished and the good don't always get rewarded, that everything living will die and nothing that's died has ever come back (talking full on brain death here people not resuscitation), and that every physical and natural process in the universe can or will eventually be studied, replicated and explained, then the need for supernatural beings is no longer there.

God is just an optional extra in your brain.  

• Like 2

I should believe, as I've had so many Near Misses it's fairly unbelievable that it would have happened without a purpose.. I trust in the God of checking things and not being surprised when BAD things happen. You won't have 12 seconds to initiate things. Some times it's like when you are on the road.  Nev

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Once you come to the realisation that chance and coincidence can happen to anyone, the evil don't always get punished and the good don't always get rewarded, that everything living will die and nothing that's died has ever come back (talking full on brain death here people not resuscitation), and that every physical and natural process in the universe can or will eventually be studied, replicated and explained, then the need for supernatural beings is no longer there.

God is just an optional extra in your brain.  

Michael Leunig saw human nature like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.817fba9508c5813c8c47823138e298c0.jpeg

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Allah has very little to do with earthquakes and houses falling down in Afghanistan. It's called the Forces of Nature. Build a mud-brick house in a known seismic zone, and no matter what God you worship, they won't be able to help you. There's an old saying about people being so heavenly-minded, they're no earthly good.

• Like 4

In a seismic area build in. ' Wood '

Just like NZ does.  Then after the " rattle  " just hammer those loose boards back together again.

Imagine,  Old England gets a fair few tremors every year , those ' chimney pots falling down are

Dangerous. 

Have to wear a ' bowler hat '  LoL

spacesailor

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, spacesailor said:

In a seismic area build in. ' Wood '

Just like NZ does.  Then after the " rattle  " just hammer those loose boards back together again...

Not much wood available across the earthquake zone from Italy through Greece, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Thousands of years of cutting down forests and overgrazing by sheep and goats.

A recent clever innovation to lay ropes in the mortar helps keep mud brick buildings together, but I bet the stupid Taliban ban that idea, along with any other Western influence.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1