Ridiculous Australian house prices.

red750

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

People are making windfall gains on their properties they just sold, and can therefore bid up the next property they're buying - because they expect to make huge capital gains on that one, too.

Not so sure about this, OneT.

At the moment there  are increasing numbers of boomers coming up to retirement age. They mostly are past wanting bigger flashy homes in high demand locations. Any that I know, are doing the opposite. Since they are not likely to be buyers in the market, how are they driving prices (demand) up?

8 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

just because it worked in the UK doesn't mean it will work in Aus. There are demographic, cultural, and structural differences.

I assume that all of us taking part in this discussion are what might be called "traditional Australians", meaning having descended from British immigrants of the 19th Century up to the beginning of WWII.  If that is correct, then it forms the starting point of my thoughts on the cultural aspect of the housing market.

From the beginning of European settlement up to the mid-20th Century, the population generally was composed of people who were simply making ends meet. Of course, there were the better off, but these were not so much better off than those around them. Australians never had the surplus money to be investors. Also we never developed the habit of haggling over prices which is such a part and parcel of the culture of other peoples. People dealt with things on a day-to-day basis, eeking out an existence, working for The Man. 

It wasn't until the final quarter of the 20th Century that the influences of post-war migrants and better universal education, and more means to make a lot of money fast from the application of the products of digital technology that resulted in the children of the Boomers entering into the investment field. The Boomers, who benefitted from the massive increase in price of the house they bought at low price and which they had finally paid off, learned from their children and sold off to down-size and live off the money demand had added to their original outlay.

When money tightens the "cheaper" houses become more sought after.  IF you have a portfolio of shares the ones that are  sold at a loss are deducted from your profit. Builders can lose on some jobs and that also deducts from the  profit made on others. That is how it should be. The cost of making the money has to be deducted from the  amount made. That's pretty basic.  Nev

7 minutes ago, red750 said:

At my age, I have no ambitions that require  lot of money, so I don't need to draw on the equity (100%), and am living comfortably on the pension, with virtually no debt. I may not be cash rich, but I am comfortable.

Me too Red, but don’t be surprised when the rules are changed to push us old farts out of our big old houses. Baby Boomers who own their home are comfortable and protected by tax rules, while many young are struggling to get a start. I predict a move to scale back age discounts and subsidies. One day, a brave government will scrap negative gearing and protections of the family home.

To put capital gains tax on one's home would be unfair as all the costs have not been allowed as deductions like it would be if it were run as a business  You are nor really as rich as you might think. There's been a lot of Inflation over the periods we are talking about Money value is relevant to what you can PURCHASE with it ,NOW.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Old Koreelah said:

Me too Red, but don’t be surprised when the rules are changed to push us old farts out of our big old houses. Baby Boomers who own their home are comfortable and protected by tax rules, while many young are struggling to get a start. I predict a move to scale back age discounts and subsidies. One day, a brave government will scrap negative gearing and protections of the family home.

Old K the negative gearing doesn't help us oldies. Only the higher income earners.

I always expected the rules to change when I finally retired.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Death duties are one answer.  May not be popular but if the settings were right it could work.  Removes a lot of the inequality where some kids inherit massive amounts that their parents worked for but they played no part in earning. 

Plus means that people who want to stay in their homes can.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The UK has death duties on estates > £250K. It also has gift tax - if you gift more than £15K in any one year to catch out moving large quantities of money to people to offload death duties. In addition, if your house is sold materially below market value, then the purchaser may also be subject to a top up tax.

The tick was to settle estates into trusts; that way legal ownership of the estate never transferred  and therefore death duties wreen't payable. But in the UK a trust has a maximum lifetime of 80 years and at the dissolution of the trust, captial gains tax is payable.

As a revenue stream, it is not bad, but it does punish poorer people becuase they are the ones who can't afford to pay the tax and end up havin gto sell, while the wealthier ones often have succession planning in place to minimise the burden and ensure the assets stay in the family. And, the house and all its upkeep, taxes, rates, etc have all been paid for after tax. Maybe a capital gains tax on the assets passed down would be fairer, because at least the cost of the asset and miantenance has been taken out.

Also, given the vast majority of the buyers and sellers do not involve deceased estates, I am not sure what impact it would have on the price of property. In serfdom times, it was very different and property was held only by the rich - and inheriotance tax was a way to prise open the property market.

How is this for ridiculous?

When I sold my house in NSW, when I was transferred back to Victoria in 1978, the house I sold was a single storey, three bedroom house with no garage, not unlike this house next door.

4bolaroave.thumb.jpg.d3e8b2d76c6120d89d5902c370520758.jpg

I decided to look up my old address on realestate.com. This is what the place looks like now. (See the above house on the left.)

6bolaroAve.thumb.jpg.9b4dd7ff6541eb46ac634eab45428234.jpg

In 1982, I was working in the Systems Development area of the Commercial Bank when it merged with the Bank of NSW. I was involved in the integration of the CBAL's Personnel System into that of the BNSW. For two months I commuted weekly to Sydney and had the opportunity to move and stay in Sydney for a second time. However Sydney house prices had greatly outstrippd Melbourne, and my wife did not want to move again, so I left Sys Dev and went back into a branch banking position in Melbourne.

Having just looked up the value of my house, I was surprised to see the current median price for my old address was $20,000 less than the median price for my current house.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Death duties ( inheritance tax ) is a no-brainer. Of course we need one. In Australia, I remember well how silly old farts moved to Qld so as to keep their money away from the taxman. For awhile, Bjelke-Peterson's Qld was the only place in Aust where there was no inheritance tax. Even though we knew it was wrong, we all approved of our state govt giving up this tax.

If you want to subsidize your kids, do it while you are alive says me. Then you will appreciate their gratitude.

AND, there are cunning ways to avoid the tax anyway....  for example, a farm can become incorporated and the shares can be ownership shares ( give these to the kids ) and management shares ( keep these for yourself ).

• Informative 1

It stuffs up Businesses. IF you've earned and not stolen the money you have and already paid the tax on it. it should be yours to do whatever legal thing you want to with it. It's people who pay NO Tax here while enjoying the benefits of our stable country who should stop expecting to freeload on the others. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have to admit in my younger days, I aspired to have one of those mansions along Brighton Beach (not all - it doesn't matter how much money one has, if they don't have taste, they don't have style, either).  I never got there before leaving these shores. These days, my aspriations are far more modest.

I think it depends on the situation one is in, as to the type of house that is right.  The below is the house our daughter was born in and we stayed for another 8 years:

image.thumb.png.bcca3c0f3692867b0c0020f67a751b54.png

Despite it looking small, we extended the living room and put a thumping loft conversion in (quite ugly at the rear, to be honest). The back yard was modest by the 1/4 acre block standard, but decent for London. This is in an outer, bland part of Richmond. Originally a 3 bedroom, it was 4 + a study, with the 4th lof bedroom easily converted to 2 master sized bedrooms. That became the family room, and I think it is as perfect sized house for a younger family with 2 - 3 kids; enough space for the kids to muck around inide and out and have their friends around, a bit of sapce for the parrents to hide or entertain the parents of the other kids, (I also don't know why they have alarms - must be an insurance requirement as it is one of the safest place I have lived. Have left the front door open on going away for a weekend and countless times left the key in the motorcycle; nothing taken).

When we moved to the South West, we couldn't find our right property to buy, so we lived in this for a year:

image.thumb.png.10af3045f8b7105506f8028da20ac27c.png

Far more modest size 3 bedroom house and a smaller garden. Thankfully I was still working in London all week, as it was too small.. Many houses are this size. I think they would be alrtight with one kid, but definitely tooo small for two that are school aged. But for a couple, it is a perfect size (to me).

You've all seen the house I am in now; yes it is big (almost 6,000sq feet of interior living space, plus the 2br barn converted cottage). Funny, the kids (now adults, really) say they miss the smallest house the most.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

Buying what you can afford has a touch of realism that I see as wanting but the system just loads costs onto the Land side of things. That PLUS bigger houses fully furnished makes something you spend most of your life Paying off. There MUST be more to LIFE than just owning a house that looks just like so many others ticky tacky Boxes built of Match sticks Cardboard and chalk. with Ply and shavings doors.  Nev

• Agree 2