Youth Crime

red750

There are lots of reports about the increase in youth criminal activity, to the point where a group of people in Qld have resorted to vigilante action.

I post the following article for your consideration. I know I shouldn't, every one and his dog shoot me down when I do. But with all the assembled wisdom in this group, I thought you might care to comment.

https://johnmenadue.com/scotland-a-shining-example-in-youth-justice/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, red750 said:

I thought you might care to comment.

Here's a radical idea: Take sanctions against the parents for failing in their duty of care to their children through their not setting a law-abiding example. Stop all child support payments for a month at a time until the child's begins to toe the line.

Incarceration as it is practiced is counterproductive. Prison never turned bad to good. Should the age of criminal responsibility be raised to, say 15? In every other area of child development we are told that humans, especially males, do not mature mentally until their mid-20s, and I expect a lot of you have the experience of your own children to agree. Why then should we expect 10 to 15 year olds to understand the complexity of Society's rules, even if their parents have set good standards.

Even then that does not insure that a teenager will keep within the bounds of the Law. I know from my son. He was drinking and playing up at 15. I would have killed him, but I was kept in the dark. Still, I can say that he often tells me that his parents' example got him through the stupid years to become an adult worthy of respect.

Spare the rod and spoil the child? Unchristian! Unsecular. Useless. A beaten dog will always growl.

• Like 2

Interesting article, Red. Intuitively, it echoes what should more or less work. The Portugese took a similar approach to druggies and it had quick and sustained results: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

I had a go at searching the internet for "youth offenders in detention in scotland 2022" and didn't throw up too much in the way of statistics, but it did send me here: https://www.cycj.org.uk/what-we-do/children-in-remand-in-scotland/.  This provided a spreadsheet tha was downloadable, but for reference, I have provided a screenshot here:

image.thumb.png.4e37df6c61b9e26ebcd2fd651283752e.png

The numbers are, indeed, low.

As part of this site, and a Scotland government website, there is a coordinated, wholistic approach. Without delving further into youth offending statistics and looking for the trends (hopefully downward), it is hard to judge success on the number in incarcertation alone.

Like Aus, England has this law and order agenda on both sides of politics, largely driven by the media, which is about locking them up and throwing away the key. Yet, youth crime, if the media is to be believed, and that is  big if, is rampant. The answer? Keep doing the same thing that doesn't seem to work and lock them up and throw away the key. Wasn't it Einstien that said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."?

Of course, attaining success with an interventional approach is easier said that done. It requires resourcees and talented, committted staff; of which, in my time in the Victorian public service, was not free flowing (don't get me wrong, like pricate enterprise, there was a mix of commitment and talent at the coal face and lower end of the food chain, but the further up it went, the less available was the talent). It also requires de-politicisation, and realistic expectations; most of these kids are abused, neglected, etc. Many have mental health issues that are both genetic and inflicted. Patience, with accountability are required.

There are secure facilities, but they are about care, (https://www.gov.scot/policies/youth-justice/secure-care/) not punishment.. and ultimately, what festers in youth offender institutions (as well as any other institution with opactiy), abuse: physical, sexual (called out separately to just beatings); and mental. Remember not 6 months ago the horiific uncovering of abuse in Tasmanian and Western Australian youth detention centres. Earlier than that, the same for Turana in Melbourne. And now, from an institutional  theme, a few days ago, the ABC exposed horrid abuse in our care systems.

Surely, there is a better way.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

There are a couple of suggestions for treatment other than locking them up.  One is making the parents, who failed to bring them up to respect others, and others property, to be held responsible for restitution. The other is a form of national service. Not necessarily military, although a form of bootcamp for the worst of them would be good, but some form of community service with strict supervision. Just putting it out there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, red750 said:

There are a couple of suggestions for treatment other than locking them up.  One is making the parents, who failed to bring them up to respect others, and others property, to be held responsible for restitution…

I’ve seen far too much parenting and not just from “the poor”. Rich kids have the wealth to do lots of damage when they go off the rails- and too many do! We know the male brain isn’t fully developed till about 24, so perhaps parents should bear some responsibility for their actions till then.

Many cultures hold families collectively responsible for the sins of the individual; perhaps not fair or humane, but it works!
The fear that your parents, siblings and children will suffer seems to have been pretty effective motivation for many.

33 minutes ago, red750 said:

The other is a form of national service. Not necessarily military, although a form of bootcamp for the worst of them would be good, but some form of community service with strict supervision. Just putting it out there.

Red I totally agree. If a person is not contributing to society and needs it’s help in the form of income, they should do something useful. There sure is plenty to be done, but there never seems enough money or motivation.

As a society we have a choice: If we continue paying unsustainable amounts of welfare to the idle, we’ll guarantee an expanding underclass of welfare dependents; a ticking social timebomb. 

• Like 1

I think advertising and social media have a lot to do with it.They see lots of things they want and don't have the means to get them. They are seduced by the "influencers" and fell they need to publicese their activities.

• Like 1

I had a previous farmer client that I hadn't seen for a while, and when I ran into him again, I casually asked how many offspring he now had. He replied, "Oh, we've got 4 kids now".

I said, "Gee, you're breeding like rabbits down that way!" He replied, "It's O.K., we found out what was causing it, and we've stopped doing it now!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know a case where it was overused and Smacker ( his nickname ) was too big at 14 for his alcoholic father who tried to beat him once too often. Well Smacker won and the father finished up in a mental hospital. I say don't do it at all, except possibly once in a lifetime if you have really lost your temper. The kid will forgive being hit then, well usually.

Old K is right.

• Like 3

On 17/05/2023 at 3:43 PM, Old Koreelah said:

I remember when people advocated giving errant fathers the Burdizzo treatment:

image.thumb.jpeg.205a5a12920ddc2a8950355e8e5fa1d0.jpeg

On 17/05/2023 at 9:14 PM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Yipes!  I've seen these rubbers on many young rams and they sure hurt.

Bruce, you're referring to the rubber elastrator rings where the whole scrotum dies and drops off. The Burdizzo emasculators are like a big pair of pliers with clamping jaws that crush the vas deferens, leaving the chokos in place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2