The Elon Musk rorting continues ...

onetrack

• 4 weeks later...

Bloomberg is saying Elon Musk is the first person to lose $200 Billion. Problem is, it's not cash in the bank, just a share value. If he tried to convert that $200 Billion in shares to real money by selling them all off at once, the shares would drop and only be worth a tenth of that figure. So it's all just an illusion anyway. I doubt Musk would lose any sleep over it.

It's odd how a lot of humanity values people on how much money they have. We all know Musk as a cocky little swinging dick man-child who irritates the carp out of people, but has done some good things along the way. But imagine if he was a brickie's labourer and not a world renown billionaire. We wouldn't give two hoots about him, unless we knew him personally. I wonder if his personality would be any different.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-12-30/elon-musk-becomes-first-person-ever-to-lose-200-billion?utm_medium=cpc_social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=BLOM_ENG_WEEKLYX_Y0469_TW_SO_WTRF_BROADXXXXX_KEYCO_00XXXXCPC_2PTW_XXXX_BUSFINLUXREAD_X1854_Y0469_XXXEN_TWITOA_LOSE_WE_EN_PG_NFLINKS&twclid=2pnbr92jnhzzi0vywf3aqhw5t

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 months later...

I've just blocked Elon Muskovich from appearing in my Twitter home feed. I think for him, buying Twitter was always going to be a vanity project. Since he took over, a lot of algorithms have been changed and tweaked, and now everyone is getting bombarded by puerile tweets from the man-child. I've put up with it for a while, but his tweets are getting more childish by the day. Most kids that haven't had their first pimple yet display more maturity that that clown.

I seriously think buying Twitter has sent his mental health downward. He's basically Trump Junior and thinks he should be universally loved; when it doesn't happen he throws a tanty.

• Informative 1

I think I read somewhere that he is on the autism spectrum; how far I have no idea - and it could account for a few things. But, he seems to have been on a downward, or at least on a skittish path with respect to his mental health for some time. Back when he announced that he was taking Telsa private with backing from Saudis, a stunt which really should have landed him in jail, he was already showing issues. I imagine the stress of running something like Tesla while inviting far more personal PR than I think he could handle, had a detrimental impact.

He seems to be a bit of a derranged narcisstic who seeks the attention of pop stars while making many promises he is unable to keep. But, there are far worse than him.

• Informative 2

4 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

They say power corrupts and that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Most of us are lucky enough to have our worst inner voices controlled by the need to get along with our fellow humans.

Or that most of us do not have sufficient Power. 

• Like 1

Elon Musk has predicted that Donald Trump would be reelected in a “landslide victory” if the former president is criminally charged.

Mr Musk was responding to reports that Mr Trump could be indicted as early as next week. Mr Trump himself wrote on his Truth Social platform that he expects to be arrested on Tuesday, adding that his supporters should “protest” to “take our nation back”.

“If this happens, Trump will be re-elected in a landslide victory,” Mr Musk wrote on Twitter early Saturday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/11/2022 at 12:56 PM, onetrack said:

So, now that Elon Musk has gained control of Twitter, he's mulling over an arrangement that sees Twitter users having to pay an $8 monthly recurring "verification" fee, to acquire the Twitter "blue tick" (of approval) as a verified and worthy user of the site.

Recently they released their new algorithms as open source and it points toward musk trying to force as many people as possible to pay the monthly fee. If all Twitter users paid, it would give the man/child 2.8 billion in monthly revenue. With the new algorithms, accounts without the blue tick are down ranked so they are less likely to appear in a user's 'for you' feed which is the default Twitter home page setting. The graphic below shows some of the current ranking factors. Interesting to note that clicking on a profile scores quite a lot of points. Doing things that improve an account's ranking helps to ensure they remain visible.

Independent open source media needs to circulate and be visible; musk knows this and is trying to cash in on it. The way his new team have designed the current algorithms is seen as extortion by a lot of people. For a long time, Twitter has been an important platform for independent media and is where a big slab of regurgitated MSM news originates from.

The other area that has p*ssed a lot of people off is his passive support for his mate putler. After the war broke out and before musk bought Twitter, most Russian bots were banned, along with a lot of Russian government accounts. In the so called name of 'free speech', musk has let his buddies back on. Currently there's a mass Russian bot attack on pro Ukraine accounts. In an attempt to stifle the truth, Kremlin bots are subscribing to pro Ukrainian accounts in droves. Once that's done, the bots start to mass unsubscribe so that the rankings plummet and the Twitter algorithms will not promote the pro Ukraine posts and account. One account I follow has had 10,000 Kremlin bots subscribe in the past 24 hours. It's all enabled by musk's new rules and new algorithms.

He's reinstated putler's account and those of his cronies. One of the worst is the alcoholic ex president, ex prime minister and current deputy head of the Russian security council, Dmitry Medvedev. Thanks to his mate musk, he's back on Twitter regularly calling for genocide and extinction of the Ukrainian nation, nuclear attacks on the U.K. and Germany, and generally spitting hate and bile. On any other reasonable platform, the drunken fool would be banned for hate speech, but not in elon's new vanity project. No wonder a lot of Americans are calling for musk to be stripped of his U.S. citizenship and deported back to South Africa.

FtsMXPSWYAEwBF0.png

Fp4HAjbWAAMrPWQ.png

Edited by willedoo
  • Informative 2

Google and uTube are about it for me as far as any social media goes, although the kids keep telling me I should go on Facebook. Does Google even qualify as social media?  

I've been watching a doco series about Musk on SBS. It's really pretty interesting. He's a strange character, but then his parents are just as weird. Had a miserable childhood, obsessive workaholic, erratic, unpredictable but very clever. His mother thinks he's a genius. Maybe he is in some ways, at least. To his credit he has achieved some good things against all the odds.  There's supposed to be a thin line between genius and madness and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends his days in an asylum.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Informative 1

I don't use Twitter, but many interesting short video clips from Twitter are shared on Facebook, including many aircraft clips. I've seen a few very short STOL videos, landing and taking off in thee plane's length. I occasionally use Google, particularly Google Maps, for the Streetview function. For other searches, particularly aircraft photos for the profiles, I use duckduckgo.

I use Facebook quite a bit. I keep in touch with geographically distant relatives on FB, and I am in a few FB groups, such as the Vintage Bonanzas group, and a group for former staff of the Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd. In fact, I took a screenprint of the old CBAL Data Centre building from Streetview and posted it on the CBAL group page 7 hours ago, and have had over 30 reactions and about 15 comments so far, from people I worked with years ago, and many I didn't know. It is very handy. I use Youtube sometimes, but not all that often.

• Informative 2

4 hours ago, rgmwa said:

His mother thinks he's a genius. Maybe he is in some ways, at least. To his credit he has achieved some good things against all the odds.  There's supposed to be a thin line between genius and madness and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends his days in an asylum.

Asberger's syndrome maybe.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

'' I use Facebook quite a bit. I keep in touch with geographically distant relatives on FB, ''

And I agree with red750 !. it's like using a videophone , only cheap as chips '

Not like the ' Teleco's ' who want a ransom to phone Europe .  ( without video ).

spacesailor

The other thing I like about Facebook is all the historical photos that get posted, like the one below of a shop in Wagga when it opened in 1913 and when it burned down in 1962.

waggashop1913.thumb.jpg.a4e27ecf47a9046791fae3d546090364.jpg

Others show scenes around Adelaide, Melbourne and many country towns. There is a group called I Grew Up In Mortdale, which publishes photos from around Sydney. Many people, including myself, post current day photos of the same location for comparison. Very interesting.

I know this is way off the subject of Musk's rorting, but here is an example of the "then and now" photos on Facebook.

High St Reservoir 1920's

highStReservoirthen.thumb.jpg.11a9b59c1818b4fda9ffde8d2b711df6.jpg

and today.

highStReservoirnow.thumb.jpg.f7beca57e0fb247c9b76f10d56ad5c8f.jpg

Notice the window on the front of the London Guarantee building in the 1920's photo and the Stockdale and Leggo building in the other.

I follow the historical one dealing with the Sutherland Shire. 

highStReservoirthen.thumb.jpg.11a9b59c1818b4fda9ffde8d2b711df6.jpg 

I wonder if this was taken to depict the newly built picture show building. That facade can be seen all over the country, but now instead of showing the 'pictures' these buildings are either vacant or supermarkets.

Interesting dialect thing. Americans go to the "movies". English go the the "cinema". Australians go to the "pictures".

• Like 1