Mythical creatures - or are they?

red750

Getting back to flat-earths Nev, I reckon that when you looked at an eclipse then you already had a particular cosmology in mind and you saw the evidence reinforcing this.

Mind you, I can't think of anything sillier than the idea of a flat earth. There must be some money in somehow pretending to believe this stuff, but buggered if I can see how.

• Like 1

I've always been a great believer in science and the scientific method. Bruce When religion which I was subject to extensively in my youth conflicted sufficiently I moved away from religion viewing it as a barrier to knowledge as the churches have constantly been.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Getting back to flat-earths Nev, I reckon that when you looked at an eclipse then you already had a particular cosmology in mind and you saw the evidence reinforcing this.

Mind you, I can't think of anything sillier than the idea of a flat earth. There must be some money in somehow pretending to believe this stuff, but buggered if I can see how.

image.jpeg.7f72d09d0a13c052cc19c42f4160b3d0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the science-fiction depictions of aliens are based on how we would look in the future with more evolution. Human interaction and communication replaced by endless scrolling of a device, hence small mouth and long fingers.

• Like 2

A scientist made an Image of what the ' future Homosapien'  Will look like .

Massive chest & nose, very long fingers,  oversized eyes,  round torso , with short legs .

WHY

Smog , computer keyboard,  and driving..

Can we help Ourselves? ?.

spacesailor

• Like 2

I read that we were actually in an evolutionary dead end, because women's hip size limited our brain size.

AND, evolution is happening fast all around us in a negative sort of way. For instance, people often survive now with eyesight problems when they would not have succeeded in the past.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

BUT I must say that I was impressed by the idea that we could be born earlier when we were not so big... after all, this is how marsupials do it, so why not people?

If we move to even bigger brains, however, it will mean changing trends going back millions of years. Apparently our brain has been getting smaller recently! We obviously don't need such a big brain these days..

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I read that we were actually in an evolutionary dead end, because women's hip size limited our brain size…

The use of caesarians to deliver babies is increasing; less trauma and risk for mothers, but that might mean more larger-headed babies survive. They might be dependant on a surgeon to deliver their babies.

8 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

AND, evolution is happening fast all around us in a negative sort of way…

It’s not PC to say, but poor people tend to have more kids, who survive due to welfare paid by richer, better-educated and more productive people (who themselves, have fewer kids if any).

We are constantly hearing about increasing disparities in income and housing, but little about disparities in working hours; I know small business operators who work 80+ hour weeks, plus have the honour of being unpaid tax collectors for the government and superannuation administrators for their employees- if they can find them.

I fear that multigenerational welfare dependents, some with appalling parental skills, are condemning their kids to a life of dependence and/or crime. Australia’s relatively harmonious society can quickly become riven by the divisions we see in France, the US, etc. 

Gated communities, anyone?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Frances problem began with the conditions negotiated at the end of the Algerian war in the 80's. I used to speak to a lot of French Foreign Legion types about it. They are a fairly no nonsense lot.   Nev

I’ve read accounts of their “no nonsense” methods in North Africa. Today we’d call them war crimes.

Colonising the world made some European nations very rich, but they’re sure paying for it now, generations later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It was a french foreign legion guy ( well, he was on the run from being conscripted ) who caused my very first driving  mishap....  I was backing into a steel rack.....  Keep comminggg,,,  he said....crunch went the tailgate on a bit sticking out....    Ooooh, I didn't see zat whunnn he said

• Like 1
  • Haha 1