Albo's question

Yenn

22 hours ago, old man emu said:

Eh, Bro!

Today is Waitangi Day.

Fill up your chilly bin, slip on your jangles and let's go look at the country we gave away.

For most Kiwis it is just a day off. I went to the 150th anniversary at Waitangi. It was very impressive with several warships in the harbour, thousands of people & Maoris in their best regalia lots of pomp & ceremony with local Maori kids jumping off the bridges into the water & others having a picnic with BBQs and hangis smoking everywhere.

The best thing about the day IMO was the launching and re-enactment of Maori War canoes paddling out to greet the Brtish dignatories on the 4 masted sailing ships. The replica of the Endeavour was there as I recall. The biggest War Canoe (Waka in Te Reo Maori) is a double hulled ornately carved canoe hewn out of a huge Totara tree. It was built in 1940 to commemorate the centenary of the Treaty of Waitangi and is launched at the commemoration every year. It is 36 metres long over 2 metres wide, has 80 paddlers and can carry another 55 passengers. In the day these would have all been fierce, ruthless, blood curdling warriors. It's name is Ngātokimatawhaorua. Try to pronounce that.

It's not Surprising at the time the Poms decided a treaty was a better option than trying to subdue them.

On 3/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, nomadpete said:

Thanks, OME.

I do wonder how many communities have been made aware of this group? And I include whitefella communities.

And is there a list of their achievements?

List of achievements? Apply that to any government.

Perhaps we should give this group a bit of time to make their mark.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

39 minutes ago, facthunter said:

IF the green s disowned her they could replace her by the next in line same as if she had died. 

That's the problem. They can't just replace her. Death is the only common reason for a replacement (other than sanity, bankruptcy or treason). She's got a place to stick her bum for the next 7-1/2 years. She says that she will be pro-Greens on environment matters, but her antecedents suggest that she's not interested in being an environmental warrior.

• Informative 1

I thought her antics at the swearing in ceremony were pretty divisive and pathetic, and showed her opinion of the Parliament to which she had just been elected. I don't think she has anything worthwhile to offer and Bandt is well rid of her, although she's going to be a pain in the neck as long as she's there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

It's a ' conspiracy '

The little banks WANT  !,  All those house's,  they took in " Ruds " ' recession '  we Had to have !.

To make $ billions in profit .

spacesailor

Spacey you seem to be confused about that “recession we had to have”. 

I presume you’re thinking of Paul Keating. He was long before Rudd, under whose government Australia was just about the only country that DIDN’T have a recession. 

• Agree 1

As the interest rate rises we are going to see a massive increase in mental health issues. Can you imagine how the young people feel after being induced into entering into mortgages at near zero rates of interest, and then struggling to meet those repayments, only to have the lenders demand more and more due to "the high cost of borrowing money". Is the Reserve Bank responding to the shenanigans of the financial sector?

Nevertheless, these young people will lose their homes and any money they have paid out. That will create a generation who have to rely on the good fortune of parents who have retained the homes the young people grew up in, and by now the parents have paid off. Those young people won't recover financially. In the mid-1980s the interest rates started at 10%, which was manageable since the amount to be borrowed wasn't close to $1 million. Then the rate did go up - to 17%. Thousands, like my wife and I, lost their homes and have lived in rented properties ever since. The Australian Dream evaporated.

The Financial Sector is quick to apply rises in interest rates and slow to decrease them. At the same time it cries out that it is impossible to increase the wages paid to the people who are creating the wealth by their toil.

You can't blame the Government for all the evils of the Economy. For a lot of the time the organisation known as "The Government" is in as poor a financial place as the citizenry.

Joseph Pulitzer: Money Power - Money Quotes DailyMoney Quotes Daily

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

They've been fed the idea you can have it all on CREDIT. Many will find out the hard way the perils of debt. THEY think they can have it ALL . But the people during the depression and war  knew what poverty was and "MAKE DO" with what they  had till they could afford better. Safe as Houses is not totally safe. If there's no work in a town the houses sell fast and cheap. IF you are a bank customer they only exploit you, It's a long time since they encouraged you so SAVE with them.  debt is an asset to them, They buy debt discounted. Trade on other's misfortunes because there's money to be made and that's the aim.  Nev

• Winner 1

YES

BUT

Are the ' financial ' institutions  ( banks ) pressing the R B A & THE GOVERNMENT to give them ( far ) more profit than they otherwise would receive,  with normal trading. 

Also those same banks Are over-paying their executive bosses far too much , leaving their shareholders broke , & unable to pay their  mortgage!  .

spacesailor

• Like 1

Things started to go bad when the banks introduced Bankcard in the mid-70s. It made buy now, pay later the norm. Before that it was pay off the lay-by, then you can have it. And here we are bad-mouthing the Aborigines for their seeking of instant gratification and failure to plan for the future. Is it different if the person seeking instant gratification who doesn't plan for the future is White? 

• Like 2