I Think BoJo's Days are Somewhat Numbered

Jerry_Atrick

I've always wondered how these boofheads like Johnson and Trump get into these positions of top-level power with such an abysmal track record. We all know how Putin got into, and stays in power.

As for our Western leaders, this pair only make the need for a political position job application, even more urgent as a primary requirement, when putting themselves forward as a political leadership candidate.

I mean to say, in no other salaried job in the world can you get into such positions of power and leadership, without presenting your CV and outlining your track record and skills, generally to a panel or board.

It's well overdue that our Western democratically-elected potential leaders are subjected to the same public scrutiny of their CV, track record and skills, by an independent qualified panel, if they want to put themselves into these crucial positions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The leaders you are talking about are not elected by the people. They are elected by the party. At least Biden, Trump, Johnson and our very own Morrison. They only stay as leaders while the party supports them. What does that tell you. Surely it is the party that is at fault.

Johnson is a clown, as was Trump, but in both cases the party decided they were clowns worth having.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Yenn said:

Surely it is the party that is at fault.

Kier Starmer, the Labour leader here, effectively said the same in parliament, when he said that anyone who resigned recently but defended the indefensible throughout has not a shred of integrity; and also it is the ship that is deserting the rats. I can't help but think that this is a power play, with the attorney general already stating she will put her hat in the ring for leadership; but I think that is to deflect from the big hitters of the Conservative party (of which she is most definitely not).

The Conservatives only 3 weeks ago had a no confidence vote which BoJo narrowly won - however the rules of the 1922 Committee is that a second no confidence vote can't be held for 12 months. The Parliamentary Standards Committee is due to deliver its verdict on whether BoJo intentionally misleaded parliament over Party Gate, in October. If it finds a member of the house has intentionally misled parliament, the member is expected to resign - note the word expected.

Exciting days ahead.

• Informative 1

Bojo never does what is expected of a reasonable person.  The whole Brexit fiasco has been a farce.. I don't believe Cameron expected the vote to be FOR it. The Tories have been riddled by scandals for ages . They never show much discipline. That's for the Lower classes.  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

From the BBC news Website:

• Boris Johnson is to resign as Conservative leader today and make a statement to the country
  • But he plans to continue to serve as prime minister until the autumn to allow a Tory leadership contest to take place in the summer

Darn.. what else will there be to complain about!

• Informative 1

The conservative party or whatever it is calling itself must be bereft of people with leadership skills if it is going to take that long to find someone to vote in as PM. I wonder what would have happened if Boris had dropped dead? Would it take months to replace him? I doubt it, so why so long now.

My theory is that the party is the same as it has been for 70 years. In the 1950s it was useless and took Britain into a war that it could not justify and was really intended to give Israel a crack at controlling the Arabs rather than anything else. That was the Suez crisis and Anthony Eden was the chief clown then.

• Like 1

Gee, he's a bit animated in his response to BoJo's performance, isn't he?  :cheezy grin:  The problem is, you could substitute "Trump" for "BoJo" and the entire flowery, animated, toe-curling description, would also fit Trump perfectly!

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The conservative party or whatever it is calling itself must be bereft of people with leadership skills if it is going to take that long to find someone to vote in as PM. I wonder what would have happened if Boris had dropped dead? Would it take months to replace him? I doubt it, so why so long now.

My theory is that the party is the same as it has been for 70 years. In the 1950s it was useless and took Britain into a war that it could not justify and was really intended to give Israel a crack at controlling the Arabs rather than anything else. That was the Suez crisis and Anthony Eden was the chief clown then.

At the moment it is just like our coalition and the Yank Republicans. It has a leader who has won an election and doubts that anyone else in the party could win the next election, so it sticks with the clown it has.

• Like 1

Boris did win an election handsomely. THAT must have had an effect for a while. Apparently He's fun at a party and a good speaker at times. Having purpose propriety and direction is another matter.  TA Bot says he got Brexit done. Well is it done?  Is everything solved?  Nev

Eventually, I believe that Brexit will prove to have been the right decision, possibly for all the wrong reasons - but it certainly won't be remembered as Boris' crowning achievement, because all his other lack of achievements will crowd out anything he's done, that would be considered worthy.

Putin welcomed it but he doesn't like Boris at the moment. You can easily drive across 3 nations a day in Europe. The kerfuffle at each border was eliminated People moved easily to take up jobs. The refugees from Syria, Iraq  Turkey, Libya etc freaked UK out.. Brexit was a close called result. I doubt if voters had been fully informed of the difficulties the outcome would have been as it was. . It's not fully sorted yet. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I could take off from Fairoaks (WSW of London) and touch down at Le Touquet airport in 45 minutes..

One of the other shareoplane piots and I did France, Luxembourg (Landing fees!!!), Germany, Swtizerland, and back in a day - in the same PA28 (G-BPIU for anyone interested).. early start, late finish, great day.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2