I Think BoJo's Days are Somewhat Numbered

Jerry_Atrick

It took the conservatives two months to find a replacement for Bojo. It has taken 6 weeks to show their choice was incompetent. How long to find another replacement. What it really shows is that the Conservatives are not fit to run the country.

My recollection of British politics is that the majority of British people think they are a cut above the rest and they adore the establishment. They do not like new money, by which I mean the adore the old families that inherited money and look down on those who made their money by working or maybe sharp practice.

They love those people who have been around for years and have titles, or become entitled to be looked up to, y buying the manor house and they are usually new money.

The adore those who have officer rank from their short time in the army.

In short they don't look for competence in their leaders, but going to the right school or having a knighthood are great.

My wife is distantly related to a British lord. I thought the knighthood was supposed to die out with the previous holder of the title, but there is now a Third lord, plus his sister was put into the lords by PM Cameron. That was just after Talk Talk had a massive security leak, similar to the recent Optus leak. It was said of her that she was absolutely ignorant about what was going on.  She is now Baroness Harding of somewhere or other. Called Dido, but her name is Dianna. Dildo would be more appropriate.

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Truss has all but gone - I think in a week she formally vacates 10 Downing Street. Both Theresa May and Gordon Brown are breathing a sigh of releif that the worst PM is no longer a tie and does not feature them.. Lizz will finish with 52 days in power, less that  half of the previous record holder of the shortest PM in UK history. Markets haven't moved much in the time since she announced her resignation, so obviously there is a lot of scepticism of what will happen next.

BTW, has it not dawned on many of the media, the markets essentially brought down the government - and since when were market participants elected to the democratic process or bringing down a government?

@Yenn - I believe this is the Baroness your wife is relateed to: https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about/people/dido-harding/biography

Tony Blair did almost get rid of the hereditary peerage - but not entirely: https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/why-are-there-still-hereditary-peers-in-the-house-of-lords/

• Informative 1

We were discussing the short stay by LT at the Men's Shed on Friday, and someone asked who Australia's shortest serving PM was. A Google search showed Arthur Fadden was in power for 39 days, from 29 August to 7 October, in 1941. There were a couple of shorter ones, but they were caretaker PM's. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, red750 said:

Looks like there's going to be as many job memes for Liz as there were for ScoMo.

True. But I'd guess that unlike SFM, not so many people are going to line up to listen to her speak at WWSG conventions

Edited by nomadpete

I would.. just to hear her say... "And now, put your hands together and introducing one of the world's great leaders - Scott Morrison!!! "

I wouldn't pay, though..

🙂

And, in this case, putting my hands together would be for praying to this dog that no-one takes any of his or her advice:

image.thumb.png.04cfe778b4974d78fd0d248d72ba13f7.png

(Seen here, watching over me!) 😉

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 2

Yeah - read in the Sunday Times (sadly, a Mucdoch publication - but seems to be more or less balanced) that he wouldn't get the parliametary support he needs. There is no doubt if he did, he owuld win, as the party membership love him. It is between Penny Mordant and Rishi Sunak. Of them, I would prefer Sunak, but at this stage I would prefer an election.. and for the first time in about 10 years, I would cast a vote..

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

Boris obviously thought he was in with a chance or he wouldn't have cut short his holiday.That means he was told when he got back that it wouldn't work out. Penny Morduant has only 20 or so backers so she is not in the race, What it all boils down to is that the party is severely deficient in quality members. The bottom of the barrel is well scraped and nothing much is left.

• Agree 2

If only one candiate reaches a vote of 100 or more parliamentarians, they will be declared the winner. The head of the 1922 Committee of Bank Benchers set the rules for this (and the last) leadership challenge  - this time to try and head off a vote to the whole Conservative party so as not to have a repeat of them electing someone like Truss.

BoJo didn't come out of the race because of the potential of his re-election to split the party if Sunak and Mordaunt didn't support him on a unity ticket. A quick call to each before he cut his holiday (while parliament was sitting) short would have sorted that out. He backed out because he didn't have the numbers of parliamentarians to back him. Imagine how it would have looked to re-elect someone you just booted out 3 months ago! Was never going to happen.

Re Penny v Rishi - I prefer neither. however, Sunak did prove his credentials during the pandemic - we was normally quite calm and collected - unlike his leader. His furlough plan was largely fair (except self-employed such as myself at the time suffered a bit, but we had the benefits that come with being self-employed, so I could accept that). Unlike the Aussie one, the money went via the employer straight into the employee's account. Where it was found that employers weren't giving the full amount, HMRC took them to the cleaners. He also is somewhat progressive on the climate front, but on all other things, he is Conservative. Mordaunt is not progressive on the climate front, doesn't have a great track record in financial management of the MOD, and is in all other ways, also Conservative. So I would go for Rishi - but by a whisker.

And yes, there are many who have said they would never vote convervative again. Some are ex-life long conservative voters. That usually means they will never vote again. But most I have heard are the "red wall" voters of northern English seats that turned on Labour to the Consevatives to get out of the EU.  Someo of which pledged they would vote Conservatives only if BoJo was leading them. He can't lead them forever, and these are the same people who would happily vote away their human rights, vote for Trumpians, etc.