I Think BoJo's Days are Somewhat Numbered

Jerry_Atrick

From what I have seen over the years, it correlates well. In the same vein as the repubs and the LNP, if they think they have a chance of winning, throw away any integrity8 and morals.

He got in because he promised to get Brexit done, abetted by the press here. Like the press in Aus with SFM, they turned on him here big time, including a headline by the Daily Mail that read something like "Will the greasy piglet perform another Houdini?" after the first two cabinet members resigned, followed swiftly by junior ministers.

He, his advisers and speech writers script everything.. it is well planned. When his speech is suffled, he can't adlib well.. His parliament answers are well rehearsed before he sets foot in parliament. And he does the pollie thing and answer as different question when questions are swkqard or he hasn't prepared:

Sadly, none I found did justice to how bad he actually was...

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BoJos latest escapade is going on police raids. The news today was that some rapper in the UK was raided by the police and he woke up to find Bori at the bittom of his bed. Boris commented that the bloke seemed pleased to see him. No charges were laid and no explanation as to why the raid took place.

• Confused 1

The rights of poms using Commons have been trampled on over the years. The Lords seem to be just a rubber stamp, very nice for the Lords who get a good days pay if they turn up there, but I better not say too much as my wife is related to one of them. I thought the present lords father would be the last of the line, but it has carried on for another generation.

I reckon Liz Truss is a female Donald Trump, and I reckon the Poms will be looking for a new PM within 12 mths. I love this description of her from journalist Matthew Parris ...

"Liz Truss is a planet-sized mass of overconfidence and ambition, teetering upon a pinhead of a political brain."  I reckon that about sums her up. If this is the best leader Britain can produce, God help the country!

I mean to say, she's actually praising Boofhead Boris for doing a great job!! What planet is she on?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-06/who-is-liz-truss-britains-next-prime-minister/101404932

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

She must be the best the Tories can find, because it took ages to find who would be acceptable. I wonder what would have happened if Boris had dropped dead, before he resigned. Would they have taken so long about finding a successor.

Looking at all the parties all around the world and they seem to be too afraid to move away from past winners and in the UK's case too afraid to promote someone until they are forced to. Rather like Libs here and Republicans in USA.

• Agree 1

Its a little more nuanced that that, to be honest. There are some capable politicians in the Tory stable.. But, the party is so in need of structural reform and fresh blood, they will have little, if any chance of surfacing to the top. If you look at the Juice Media's last YT video, they did one on UK politics, and finished it with a picture of the Queen, as considered by the Tories, who is Maggie Thatcher.  So, to cut a long story short, the the election of the parliamentary leader works is that the paliamentary party has a series of votes to determine the remaining 2 candidates, who are then put to the Torny party membership - which is currently estimated to be c. 160,000. A series of "Hustings" are arranged, in this case chaired by a radio Journo, who IMHO, is a Tory syncophant, who asks a few dorothy dixers and tepid critical questions and lets the contestants speak. The audience get to ask a few questions, too, and it is all over.

I didn't follow them too much.. but what I did see was simply who could be most Thatcher-like would get the looudest appluase. So, when Sunak was saying it wasn't time to lower taxes because of the cost of the pandemic, and there are other ways to contain inflation, Truss, knowing Thatcher and the Conservatives are all for small state, lower taxes, etc, said, "yeah.. I'll lower taxes and basiocally sod any economic management. Also, she undertook to approve no less than 120 applications to drill/frack for oil to ease supply issues and reduce the price of domestic fuel. Quite how that will find gas, I am not sure, but it will be at least 10 years, but most are saying 20 before anything of any volume comes to the market. But, this means the 160,000 mainly old conservative members who want to boost their pension pot and have smaller taxes, as well as want the most Thatcher-like person... Whereas at least Sunack has somewhat of a spine and stuck his ground, Truss knew that the Conservative voters will vote for what they want, not necessarily is the good of the country.. and that is why she won, which is echoed in almost every forum I have seen/heard them proffer their explanation.

Note, almost all of the Tory members I have seen/heard publicly also consider Sunack a traitor to BoJo and wanted BoJo to re-run.. they do not see what he had done as wrong in any way.

• Sad 1

When all the tomfoolery goes on and on, after a while the decent ones give up and leave.. Truss only got a 57% backing but removed Sunak's supporters from the new cabinet so loyalty rather than talent rules the day. We'll see how Truss goes but if I was a betting person my money would be on BoJo responding to the call and offering his services. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

In the great tradition of recent Tory PMs, I think (?!? know) Lizz Truss' days are numbered.

Any best on how long she lasts..

They are saying Jeremy Hunt is the PM in all but name..

Polls have Labour ahead by about 18%, and Starmer is about the same as Albo in charisma terms.

Sadly, the general election is 2 years away... alledgedly.

• Informative 1

I have a theory that when a political party is in power for too long and the machinations of infighting works its way through the syytem, towards the end of their srewardship, they have to scrape the bottom of the talent barrel to find a leader. In this case, they scraped too hard, broke the bottom and hit the dirt..

Having said that, the 160K or so Conservative party members did vote for her over Sunak.. The latter was a much safer pair of hands.

• Informative 1

Well, the pain continues for Lizz.. First, there were prominent Conservative MPs calling for her head in weekend tellie. Then Jeremey Hunt has all but reversed the mini budget released by her and Kwarteng leaving stamp duty relief and reversing a planned increase in some tax by BoJo in tact. Lizz, who hailed the nutjob giveaway as forstering a path to growth, has hailed the changes, which simply scrap the biggest parts of the mini-budget, so really leaving things more or less the same (except for holding up house prices) as the new road to growth..

It has simply intesified the calls for her to go. Hopefully it will be soon as she is a complete nut job and anyhow, has no command over her cabinet or the wider parliamentary party.

• Like 1