Albo & Co.

willedoo

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Good old Airbus Overseasy is off again. Came home for clean underwear.

That's terrible, having a PM who's actually representing the country and working hard, while having a well qualified and professional cabinet that he can depend on to keep things on track while he's gone.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

That family was well imbibed in their local community. There are many immigrants who not only propser. but contribute above their weight to the communuty. Rremeber the Sikhs who would hand out cooked food during the lockdown? Don't see too may Euopean derived people doing that.

Was a travesty the way the government treats boat people. And the Children overboard affair was an absolute embarressment (can't remember the name of the vessel). I was putting on an English accent in the weeks that was being reported here.

The Djokovic saga raised awareness of the depravity the previous government ketp people in hotels in - worse than our murderers and rapists. Now, the government is being sued, and is likely to lose, costing the taxpayer more and more. For what twisted ideology? Yeah, a few rotten apples get through (sadly, sometimes with devastating consequences). But aren't the worst atrocities in Australia (and NZ, by the way) committed by Australians? The Hilton Bombing, Port Arthur Masacre, Hoddle Street killer, and the NZ mosque, etc?

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

At least if you are naturalized you can say it was your choice to become Australian, and you have experienced a different culture. You are not Australian because you were born here, you are Australian because you think it is the best place to call home.

I was English, because that is where my mother was when I was born, that is my story and i am sticking to it. Now I am Aussie.

• Agree 1

Getting back to Albo.. I am warming to this guy.. and for Dutsy Dutto.. and his party - they need to lift their game. The first 20 minutes of this will show why:

How many points of order had no points of order?

[edit] it's like the new opposition are trying to use the power they had in government to move the member not be heard on the item.. shameful politics. Go Albo!

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1

For the first time in my life I agree with Spud.

I don't apporve of free handouts without an attached incentive toward better behaviour. All poverty relief should have a attached restraint from destructive misuse such as alcohol, tobacco, takeaway food. There is no NEED to provide such luxuries. Unless you'd like to subsidise my sailboat - the last antifoul meant I couldn't afford wine for a month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't help but agree wholeheartedly with Pete over the restraint from destructive misuse of poverty relief - but trying to enforce that angle always brings out the "Big Brother" argument - and the bottom line is, they can always find ways around restrictions by swapping purchases with others for cash, that can then be used to buy booze, or to blow on the pokies or lotto tickets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I agree about making welfare recipients do something in return. Around here, it would be great to have a welfare teenager to help clear paddocks. Alas, they don't find working for a living very attractive compared with welfare.

I'm shocked that there is pressure for more immigration to fill jobs here. Until recent times, you had to go to where the work was, which was why my lot went to Alice Springs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I wonder how Gina reacts to the latest stuff about how inequality costs GDP ?

There are a few reasons I have worked out...

1. costs of law and order rise with inequality.

2. There is a big loss of productivity if you don't get enough education.

3. There is a big welfare cost of providing for the poor.

( none of these are my figuring )

All these things lead to the conclusion that our GDP would be several percent higher if we were more equal.

And notice that I didn't mention that capital raising would possibly be better...  once I saw Gina's executive jet at Adelaide airport. Apparently she or one of her lot liked shopping in Melbourne more than Perth. I bet she had no interest in launching satellites.

Of course, we still need to reward success, hard work and risk-taking, so we do need a bit of inequality... but I reckon we have way too much when Gina has 30 billion.

• Agree 1

Gina is doing wonderful things for Australia. She is proposing more gas fields that she and her Korean partners can use to provide gas for the East Coast of Australia and probably a bit will be hived off for overseas sales.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Gina probably could not give a flying intercourse of equality or GDP. She makes her money by extracting ground-based Aussie wealth and exports it, so she is probably more worried about other countries' GDP than ours. The fact she is happy to pay virtually no tax to the country from which she extracts and gains her wealth - you know - like giving back to the community but still haviong massive wealth - indicates she is unlikely to have a strong social compass, and if she does in fact believe all crimes should be able to be resolved by paying a fine, indicates a potential lack of moral compass to boot. I hardly think on that basis, she would care too much about levelling up and improving Aussie GDP. She doesn't have to house migrants, worry too much about crime, etc.

In my opinion, of course.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

She DID propose it  (fines for ALL crimes) and funds the IPA. Even her father, Lang Hancock despised her. I can't recall when she has been anything but SELF serving.  She poured millions into opposing the Mining Excess Profits Supertax and bought half a major newspaper  (advised to do so by "Lord" Monkton who was her principal advisor for quite a while) to promote her view on things. . Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Informative 1
  • Sad 1