I miss ....

old man emu

I miss moveable quarter windows. I miss those air vents in the side of the footwells. 

Air conditioning is nice on a stinking hot day, and a good heater is a blessing early on winter's morning, but there are lots of times when all you want is a strong flow of ambient air over your feet or in your face.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I miss Australian accents that you can understand in customer service call centres. So many times you cannot understand what the operator is saying and have to ask them to repeat, or give up  trying to understand. It's a giveaway when you call late in the afternoon and they answer "Good morning.".

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

5 hours ago, old man emu said:

but there are lots of times when all you want is a strong flow of ambient air over your feet

It works well until the ambient temp gets up in the high 40's and into the 50's. Then you have to close the vents so the hot air doesn't fry your feet. A bit like a fan forced oven at those temperatures.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Always intrigues me why cars radiator intakes are so low; the air just above the bitumen can be super heated.

Heat is removed from the fins of the radiator by the processes of conduction. Evaporation doesn't work for radiators because there  is no fluid to evaporate and convection and conduction only make miniscule amounts of cooling. For conduction to happen, molecules in the air must bump against the hot (i.e. rapidly jiggling) molecules of the skin of the radiator, so that some of that heat energy can be transferred from them to the air molecules. After they've made contact, the air molecules must move away, carrying what used to be radiator heat with them. The faster the turnover of air molecules bumping against and then moving off the radiator's skin, the more cooling there is. 

Even on the hottest day in the hottest place, the ambient air temperature is forty to fifty degrees cooler than the skin of the radiator which may be between 90 and 105 Celsius.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Surfaces that incur and retain a lot of heat, such as black asphalt, don't transfer that heat to the air all that well, any more than about 150mm above the surface.

From that height upwards, there's a pretty substantial difference (cooler) between air temperature and surface temperature. The link below is to a study carried out on the effect. The graphs and charts show it all.

https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2277&context=all_theses

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2022 at 5:25 AM, Old Koreelah said:

The rest of us had better appreciate the ones we still have.

I worked with two blokes who had women falling at their feet prepared to carry their babies for an eternity. I was so envious of them, until one evening after work having dinner and a few beers, I realised their private lives were screwed (not in the sense of these women wanting to carry their babies) and made me appreciate my partner so much more..

I am happy with where I am, but there are two things I miss (both of which I am constantly educating, or nagging, my "kids" on):

• My Youth and younger adult years: A lot of waste in there.. Sadly, it will never come back, but I have taught myself to look forward
  • Australia: No country is perfect - least not Australia; but on balance, you can make it what you want, which one cannot in any other country (maybe except Canada.. but their midges are a llot worse than Australia's).

• Like 2
  • Winner 2