There isno god/s

nomadpete

We're all made of stardust.

When you think about it, we start life as an egg around 100 microns in diameter, about the width of a hair.  I'm ignoring the sperm as size-wise it's insignificant compared to the egg.  That's the sum total of physical matter we directly get from our parents.  Everything else that increases our size to what we are today is from energy taken from food, whether it be via the umbilical, boob or Macca's.  All of that food is possible either directly (vegetation) or indirectly (other food groups) from energy from the sun.

So, our first cell is recycled stardust, and everything since is recycled stardust activated by the closest star.

And with all this wonderment, people still need gods?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

The ancients were the only lot who have been right in all history. They worshipped the sun as the giver of all life. So that's it, if you need something to believe in go out in the morning & thank the sun for the existence of everything on the planet.

Mankind should have outgrown religion well before now given it is the most destructive of all his inventions. The problem is there are several billion nutters who keep the myth alive and well. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I need to believe in an omnipotent God, because I look at the wondrous constructions of our bodies, with their 200 different life support systems, all interdependent and reliant on such complex organic chemical interchanges, that even the worlds best scientists today, still cannot understand fully, how many of them work.

They still cannot understand how numerous diseases manifest and perpetuate, why they attack our bodies, and they cannot understand why the body is seemingly programmed to die.

Yet in the evolutionary sciences view, evolution is ongoing, so in their evolutionary teachings, the human body, which reputedly crawled as a couple of protozoa from a steaming swamp squillions of years ago, should have evolved to avoid death by now.

And those same scientists and highly-educated experts in every field today, all trained in universities that teach intricate knowledge and skills that have virtually all been discovered in the 20th and 21st centuries, all happily accept the theories of a scientist who was born in 1809 and who died in 1882 - and in whose lifetime, medicine was a crude art, knowledge of organic chemicals in the body (and their interaction) was not understood, scientific and medical instruments were crude and limited in their abilities - and the ability to cure even simple sicknesses was virtually impossible - and quacks abounded with preposterous medical theories, such as blood-letting being the cure for many health complaints.

• Like 1

Yep, onetrack, we have a long way to go but we sure have made some progress in the last 2000 years or so. They had no idea about germs or astronomy or anything else...  they thought that thunder was god's wrath for example.

But we ignore science at our peril...  Stuart, that great explorer, should have known about scurvy, but he refused to believe it and suffered badly, while Cook, a hundred years before, understood the theory and profited mightily.

As for Darwin, gosh our generation benefited well from antibiotics but these benefits  have fallen due to the nasty way in which germs have evolved. Now they have " antibiotic resistance" to deal with...  bugger, huh.

In my infancy, there was no penicillin for Australian babies, the supplies all went to US soldiers. I don't grudge them at all, they sure survived better than the Germans did.

Whatever theory anyone subscribes to, is fine by me. As long as people (whatever their belief structure is) do not use their belifs to harm anybody else in any way.

The fact that my spiritual beliefs differ from anybody elses, does not give me the right to give anyone grief over theirs. I am happy with mine, and if yours is different, I am respectfully interested to hear it, and I am glad that you are happy with yours (I assume).

One reason that I like mine, is that agnostics and athiests rarely seem to have wars in the name of their spiritual beliefs. But that is just my justification for my beliefs, and it works for me. At the end of the day, (the end of my days), my beliefs might turn out to be totally wrong. Isn't that what one's 'Day of Reckoning" really is?

• Like 4

Part of my belief structure is my fascination by all matters.

Atomic theory is fascinating, as is spiritual matters, cosmology, the impressive age of everything, the existence and possible significance of life itself, and so on.

I feel pleasantly connected to it all in an inexplicable way. I can gaze at the stars or the trees and feel that all is made up of basic atomic structures and energy, that all gets recycled, and so am I. I don't feel any need to try to ingratiate myself with recognised religions, and I mostly live by simple 'do unto others' rules. I do not believe that religion itself has done much good in matters of fair play or morals. Humans, and indeed many animals generally have an intrinsic sense of right and wrong anyway. So my life is one long fascinating experience. (ok, it feels long but I realise it is but a blink on the cosmic calender)

I'm just putting my feelings on the subject out there. These feelings and thoughts work for me but I expect every thinking individual must arrive at their own structure of belief that works for them.

• Like 1

Personally I think those who are fundamentalist and have fixed beliefs because they are told from an early age that these are true and have therefore become brainwashed into a fixed idealism are sad misinformed religious nutters. Those who think about what they have learned and look at spirituality as distinct from religion and also consider scientific knowledge and proof, I have respect for even if they still have an inkling of a creator. And as the child would say "Who was God's mum & dad?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nomadpete said:

agnostics and atheists rarely seem to have wars in the name of their spiritual beliefs.

Over the past 500 years, just to put a start point on it, there haven't been too many "Non-Believers" in Western countries in a position to make war. The obvious one to name is Hitler, whose wars were based on non-theist beliefs. His were clearly man-made. Even the leaders of Communist regimes in Asia were more fighting for independence from European colonial rule. Can't say much about African nations, but I believe that after the Europeans handed over governance, conflicts were simply rehashes of traditional inter-tribal wars.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

OME, did you know that Hitler included Atheists in his list of " undesirables"? He was in fact a Catholic.

Nope. Maybe baptised into Catholicism, but did he practise its teachings? You never hear of a priest who was his personal chaplain. Doesn't change the fact that his wars were based on non-theist beliefs.

• Like 1

Hitler had a mish mash of beliefs, but I don't consider him an atheist.  He was into christian mythology, symbolism, and even considered Jesus an "Aryan enemy of the Jews".

The Nazis were big on religious relics.  Even the swastika has been found in various cultures throughout history, mostly as a positive symbol as opposed to the symbol of hate, oppression and attempted genocide that the Nazis made it.

So I think that calling him an atheist is a bridge too far.  As for "non-theist beliefs" - I can't work out what that means, any sort of belief in the supernatural kind of means you're not an atheist.

• Like 1

I am not sure whether it is kosher to post somebody else's poem, so please mod it away if I am breaking any rules.

--- Agnostic's Prayer ---

(To give last rites to an agnostic)

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.

Creatures of Light and Darkness © 1969 Roger Zelazny

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spacesailor said:

It makes as much sense to me, as listening to a Latin prayer. Or most foreign language prayers.

spacesailor

Who gives a toss about the words; I love listening to Canto Gregoriano booming off my high ceilings;

For centuries the church had a near monopoly on the best composers. Tune out the “message from our sponsor” and enjoy the music!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

For centuries the church had a near monopoly on the best composers. Tune out the “message from our sponsor” and enjoy the music!

As Tim Minchin says in his song "White wine in the sun" - "I get freaked out by churches. Some of the hymns that they sing have nice chords but the lyrics are dodgy"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Music is over rated for any ' hearing impaired ',  

I have always been ' tone ' deaf,  now I also have industrial deafness.

BUT

I still love classical guitar music. My favorite player is   

Bert Weedon.

And I haven't,t got one piece of his music.

spacesailor

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Music is over rated for any ' hearing impaired ',  

I have always been ' tone ' deaf,  now I also have industrial deafness.

BUT

I still love classical guitar music. My favorite player is   

Bert Weedon.

And I haven't,t got one piece of his music.

spacesailor

Here you go:

• Like 1

As a kid I was forced to play classical Piano but enjoyed the big Symphony orchestra's that the school got to go to.. An Army Vickers machine gun destroyed my then perfect hearing at about 21 years of age. Today I get my kicks from Jazz which soothes the savage beast. Haven't been able to go for a while. Nev

• Informative 1