There isno god/s

nomadpete

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the story of astrology during WW2 is quite amazing - and it wasn't Hitler utilising it - Britain employed a German Jewish astrologer, to try and pinpoint important planetary aspects of the War.

Hitler actually denounced astrologers and forbade the practice.

What did happen was that the more clever British leaders were interested in gaining an insight into what Hitler was possibly being advised by any astrological advisers - but there weren't any, despite their belief that Hitler was being advised by an astrologer. Hitler did believe in numerology, though.

And the cunning Goebbels rapidly understood the propaganda potential of astrological advice. Hess was a fervent believer in astrology - but after Hess's defection, the Nazis turned on their astrologers, and arrested and jailed them all!

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17730959

• Like 1

There was a test,which the assembled astrologers at some convention foolishly agreed to.

A person answered every possible question ( had he ever had good luck etc ) except his birth sign.

Then the astrologer then said what birth sign he was....  the astrologers were right one in 12, showing that it was all nonsense.

• Informative 1

I scrolled an scrolled until my thumbs hurt. But I couldn't find a decent retort to that. This one at least, is funny....

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"

Quentin Crisp

• Haha 1

I was washing my car last Sunday when I remembered Exodus 20:8-11, which records the ten Commandments.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour, and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

This must be the first example of a Master considering the need for his servants to have time to rejuvenate themselves. Or perhaps the case was that Moses was a really good Union Rep and argued along the lines, "Well if you give us one day off a week, we'll agree to obey the rules you have made." Perhaps the Ten Commandments represent the first workplace agreement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Babylonians regarded seventh days as unlucky, and avoided certain activities on them; the Jewish observance might have begun as a similar custom following the exile in Babylon. Among European Christians, the time of "Sabbath" shifted from the seventh day to the first (Sunday) via the Christians' celebration of the Lord's resurrection on the first day of the week (a Christian Sabbath), though no definite law, either divine or ecclesiastical, directed the change.

As European Christians spread over the world, they took the idea of Sunday being the first day of the week with them. "Calendar" comes from the Latin  calendae/kalendae "the calends" the first day of the Roman month, when debts fell due and accounts were reckoned.

• Like 1

Who decided which day of the eon (that first day 6,500 years ago?) should be called the first day. After which we start counting to base seven. Without that reference marker, it is highly (odds 7 to 1 against) likely that we have all been unwittingly offending this god by working on His sabbath.

Which begs the question, 'Did He set us all up to fail'?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomadpete said:

So, Moses brought the world it's first Workplace Agreement, with that 'seventh day' clause?

Does this make god a unionist, or did Moses slip that clause in whilst He wasn't watching?

It could have been that Moses was the Union negotiator who accepted all the fun-destroying activities in exchange for one day off a week.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, old man emu said:

It could have been that Moses was the Union negotiator who accepted all the fun-destroying activities in exchange for one day off a week.

Alright OME, that makes Moses the first man to make an Enterprise Bargain with his employer. And that resulted in the first Workplace Agreemant.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Yeah, but at least he still had the Commandments with him, when he left the desert, give the bloke a bit of credit.

Only some of them. I heard he broke a tablet on his way down from the mountain. Apparently there were supposed to be 15, not 10.

......  I just saw Octave's post. Mel Brooks even made a video about it, so it must be right.

Edited by rgmwa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1