Invasion or Immigration?

old man emu

Yes, definitely IMMIGRATION.

Much the same as London becoming Londonistan.

Over time the locals become outnumbered by mainly peaceful migrants. There are always a few clashes, but the vast majority of migrants just want to get on with life peacefully. That's why they migrated. 

Similarly, I feel that Australia's recent (200yr) population of mainly anglo/european dwellers who have migrated and raised families here are now being swamped by further migrants arriving from other parts of the globe.

Given a population of say 20,000,000 when you add 500,000 extra migrants per year, in the next 40 years, descendants of the old occupants (our kids) are outnumbered by migrants. Clearly, this has a big influence on our collective culture. I don't assume it is negative. (Total numbers are debatable but you get my drift).

This is not sinister, but it does mean that our culture is constantly changing and that makes people feel threatened (just like the indigenous feel threatened by the cultural changes brought about by anglo/euro migrants post 1788).

The dictionary clearly defines the difference between immigration and invasion.

Back in 1788 the population of darker inhabitants was not subjucated by an invasion. There was a gradual process of migration following 1788.

Edited by nomadpete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It sure is different now huh. I reckon it would be impossible to raise a volunteer army such as we had at Gallipoli again, and this is probably a good thing.

The Australia we grew up in has gone for sure, and there were many good things that have gone too. Like our tolerance ...  gosh, Alice Springs in the 1950's was a tolerant place. Boys knew to stay away from the Rajah, plus a certain Anglican arch-deacon, plus a certain schoolteacher.  These blokes lived their lives in peace and nobody attacked them. Well the guy who lived with Arthur, the plumbers clerk cum dressmaker, used to come home drunk and beat him up, but this was frowned upon. Most people were on Arthur's side.

Anzac days were when you climbed Anzac Hill and noticed the crippled ex-soldiers. They were really there and alive, but they were driven up the hill.

Schoolteachers were professionals, right up there with medical doctors. We pitied the private-school kids sent down south, we thought they only went there so their parents could pick on the teachers to make them pretend the kid was smart.

The whole place, under Menzies, was very communist , with most people working for the government. Most builing and maintenance, all medical services, dental, education police, railways and airlines were all government. Of course this "communist " word  was never said by anybody.

The place is very different now... long term residents are leaving through fear of being victims of crime. If you ring the police, you will be asked if the perpetrators could be indigenous. If the answer to this is "yes", you will be referred to the private law firm of your choice.

• Informative 2

45 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

That's the point Red..  he doesn't look much like a pure blood blackfellow to me.

Bruce what’s your point? This bloke has ancestors throughout the southest of this continent. Does he have to be black to qualify as Aboriginal? 

The reality is that he’s an excellent example of the natives found by the first white explorers- who commented on the tendency to lighter skin tone, body hair and balding of the original peoples. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

who commented on the tendency to lighter skin tone, body hair and balding of the original peoples.

Lighter skin colour is simply a result of selection for the ability to absorb more radiation for the production of Vitamin D. If a group of people live in a place where the strength of the Sun's UV radiation is low (that's in the high latitudes - north and south) a mutation for light coloured skin is beneficial. Studies of  ancient Europeans suggests that the mutation for light skin became more common around the start of the Bronze Age - about 7000 BC. Since we know that Australia was populated well before that time, it is quite possible that light skinniness also arose independently at or before the European Bronze Age. 

• Like 1

Because, Bruce, light pigment in the epidermis obviously indicates an inability to connect with your birthplace, or the land.

At least, that seems to be the implied meaning. I am similarly disadvantaged. Therefore I demand to have a VOICE in federal parliament.

(PS for those who didn't notice, I am being a bit sarcastic. Blame it on Wolfie)

• Like 1

Bruce, tonight SBS replayed the "Who Do You Think You Are" family history of Uncle Jack Charles tracing his full bloodline back before 1800 in Tasmania and how his mother was shipped off to Flinders Island. Somewhere in our over 1,000 videos recorded from Foxtel by my late wife, I have a copy of that episode of WDYTYA. It will take a while to dig it out (they are not sorted or catalogued), but I could copy it and send it to you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think there must have been some genuine stolen kids, or where would the idea have come from? All I know for sure is that there were none around Alice Springs when I was a kid. They could not have kept this secret from the kids at school. Mind you, they sure kept lots of secrets...  for example, that Governor General William Slim was a pedophile, or that there was more than one Darwin bombing.

Or that the Coniston Massacre happened in 1928! wow that was late on huh. We found out all this stuff in the end, and we would have known if there were real stolen kids, gosh we would have known them personally.

AND I've never heard about why climbing Ayer's Rock, or Uluru, is bad. 

• Like 1

Pauline reckons it's unsafe. Did you see her sliding gingerly down it on her butt as scared as hell?  Kids fostered out were considered stolen. Many were not full blooded and called Yella fella's who were often poorly treated by the tribes themselves..  I do accept the Natives consider it a sacred site which they only access on rare special occasions.  Nev

• Informative 1