God help America

red750

So what has Joe done in the short time that he has been president?

What did Donald do?

Which of them got the troops out of Afghanistan?

Which of them could not see that if Afghanistan and USA with all its allies couldn't beat the Taliban, that Afghanistan alone could also not win.

Joe stuffed up in believing that the Afghan government could control the country. He should have foreseen the problems they are having now. If he couldn't then Blind Freddy should be president of the USA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yenn said:

What did Donald do?

He made a deal with the taliban, which supposedly was to give them seats in government once the USA pulled out their troops, Biden, just named the day. It's no different to every war the USA starts, they always fail and come out looking like fools leaving huge amounts of war machinery and weapons the enemy ends up getting. I worked with them in Thailand and Philippines. Luckily they weren't in Borneo, Malay or the Indonesian islands, so we weren't as on edge as when with them.

Edited by Dax

it's always a mess at the end of a fracas. Plenty of tin Hitlers looking for a moment of glory. on these occasions. I think they did OK under the circumstances.. Joe seems decisive enough. It was never going to be easy. and he's got plenty of Trump residue and other problems on his plate. No country will tolerate being under the control of another if it can help it even if they are the most perfect of occupiers.. Despite the outcome the Taliban would never be elected but at least they are afghans..

I  doubt they will be able to run it. and IF they don't moderate the demands they impose the majority of the people who have known better won't accept t he imposed trip back to the dark ages. by a patriarchal theocracy they didn't ask for.. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Western forces who have been in Afghanistan for 20 years provided the majority of the population with the best peace possible. Just consider that there are many Afghanis 20 or younger who have had a relatively peaceful upbringing. They are free thinkers and are not likely to put up with any jackboot (jack sandal?) behaviour by the Taliban. Like any totalitarian State, give the Taliban a few years and they will be destroyed by their own Fundamentalism when the rest of the Afghanis see what they are missing out on by not being able to enjoy the fruits of temporal knowledge. We know enough Muslims in Australia to realise that practising a particular Faith does not prevent someone from enjoying the fruits of a society.

We must remember that Islamic people flourished in knowledge and its applications from the 8th to the 14th Centuries - Western Europe's Early Medieval period. At the same time these Islamic scholars no doubt were devout in there practice of their Faith.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Art and music are banned and women doing meaningful jobs. I don't see them as wicked or evil as they are generally portrayed in the west. It's been part of their  culture for a long while. The West is not anything to rave about either. There's more guns in the USA than the Taliban wave about and a lot of deaths resulting. Most of the military are lower socioeconomics whites and majority of blacks. "Suckers and Losers" as Trump describes them..  (Even the top brass).  Surprisingly many ex military still support Trump. Nev

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

Art and music are banned and women doing meaningful jobs. I don't see them as wicked or evil as they are generally portrayed in the west. It's been part of their  culture for a long while. The West is not anything to rave about either. There's more guns in the USA than the Taliban wave about and a lot of deaths resulting. Most of the military are lower socioeconomics whites and majority of blacks. "Suckers and Losers" as Trump describes them..  (Even the top brass).  Surprisingly many ex military still support Trump. Nev

Well if they support someone who calls them "Suckers and Losers", they're proving him right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Despite that a lot of them do. Trump got a dodgy doctor to find something wrong with his feet. Trump knows how to 'work them". and use people while they can do something  for him.. They often pay greatly for doing his bidding and even more if they stop doing it. Look at what happened to Mike Pence.  A failure is NEVER his fault.  Nev

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

The USA has now replaced North Korea as source of the most bizzare news.

From SMH’s Quotes of the Week

“Australia currently, make no mistake, is a tyrannical police state. Its citizens are quite literally being imprisoned against their will. So when do we deploy?” - American conservative commentator Candace Owens arguing for an invasion of Australia.

“I love the Aussies. Their history of rugged independence is legendary; I’ve always said Australia is the Texas of the Pacific. The COVID tyranny of their current government is disgraceful & sad. Individual liberty matters. I stand with the people of #Australia.” -US Senator for Texas, Ted Cruz, targeting the Northern Territory vaccine mandate.

“Nearly 70,000 Texans have tragically died from COVID. There have been zero deaths in the Territory. Did you know that . . ? We don’t need your lectures, mate. You know nothing about us. And if you stand against a life-saving vaccine, then you sure as hell don’t stand with Australia.” - NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner replies to Ted Cruz on Twitter.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Fortunately we don't have much oil under Australia, so it's unlikely the americans will feel motivated to "help" us.

But we have a lot of flat, open space above the oil we do have, and  lots of coastline that makes for easy building of military bases.

• Like 1

We may have aluminium and uranium, but why would USA want to take over Australia to get it when we will practically give it away. There is no way Australia is going to mine something and use the ore to produce a finished item. Even the aluminium which is produced a few km from here is not used in the construction of aircraft, That quality has to come from the USA.

The Yanks have no need to take us over, we are falling over ourselves in our hurry to make them happy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Great idea, Willie. However, so far World trade hasn't worked out very fairly. It seems to favor the big players. We see international product dumping that creates a windfall for middle men, but causes local industries to suffer temporary setbacks (which sometimes sends them broke) whilst cheap product gets moved around the world to the most profitable markets. Also big players often get government subsidies that make their product appear cheaper in a competitors country. The world trade system is corrupt.

"Getting on with it" is not so simple.

• Like 1

The world once looked up to America as a beacon of progress and hope. What happened?

Now they’re cutting food aid to poor people and extending the working hours of children, all while vilifying anyone who talks of taxing the super rich.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/oct/30/capitalism-isnt-working-us-politicians-child-labor

Won’t be long before it all blows up.

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for posting this, Jerry. A ray of hope that some Americans are hearing commonsense.

He did a good job of defending Australia’s handling of the pandemic, but I wish he’d corrected that nutter’s claim that troops had been deployed to imprison Aussies in their own homes. To US viewers, that would conjure images of heavily armoured National Guards carrying automatic weapons.

The reality in Australia is different: smiling (and unarmed) young men and women defence personnel helping Police with logistics and patrols. Why would they need to carry weapons, when the average Aussie respects their uniform and will, perhaps grudgingly, do what is required to get us thru this challengine time? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I & my neibours felt like we had truly been imprisoned, when that curfew was put into effect, with the armies assistance.

I never saw a smiling officer, just sour faced " revenue raising " police, looking for Any infringement, to slap a fine on you.

No excuses or warnings, just get that fine issued.

spacesailor

• Like 1