Who says TV doesn't affect kids!

old man emu

Working all over Sydney taught me a lot about the demographic groups, and about people.

I preferred to work the poorer suburbs. The customers were generally more honest and civil. They always had the money set aside to pay their bills, unlike the posh areas.

I don't know if the culture has changed.

• Informative 1

32 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

The 'Beast with five fingers ' my first Horor movie.

These days they call that a "hand".

Interesting point by Octave about the old Westerns etc not showing the effects of gunshots - ie the actor just clutched their chest and fell down, no blood or anything.

Then I was listening to an old (1990) song by Jon Bon Jovi this morning - "Blaze of Glory".  Basically glorifies getting shot.

Is more realistic violence on current shows / movies bad or good?  I don't know.  What I do know is that every generation thinks that whatever the young people are doing is going to lead to their downfall, and that attitude has been recorded since Roman times.

Just like to point out that if you're in your early 70's now, then you were old enough to go to Woodstock.  Bet your parents were truly horrified about that!

• Like 1

Those old westerns were self-censored to the extent that I thought a kiss was the ultimate thing... As for making people think that violence causes little harm, that is quite right. It may have caused some deaths due to the perp thinking the victim would recover like they do in the movies.

On 08/04/2021 at 11:37 PM, red750 said:

You are not wrong about the deterioration of TV programming. It's so bad I turn off, either literally, or just ignoring what is going on in the background. It helps to drown out the tinnitus. These incessant moronic reality programs and game shows - Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity, get me out of here, Married at First Sight, The Batchelor/ette and that other Greg Norman piece of garbage - I can't remember the name. That and gambling ads - Sportsbet, Ladbrokes, et al. Should be banned like cigarette advertising. Incidentally, saw a picture of Peter Brock's Torana with the Marlboro logo blurred. Quiz shows are different - Millionaire Hot Seat, The Chase, etc are interesting. However, that English one my wife watches, Tipping Point - should be Tipping Pointless.

(Edit: You have to wonder what brainless morons go on these reality shows.)

You're not wrong! Unfortunately, society has become very vouyerstic and from a TV (or media perspective) seems ot have its roots in some of the sensationalist current affairs programs and TV shows like Donahue, Opra, Springer, and a few others. I am amazed at how people can make fortunes out of being total cretins.

Not long after returning from Aus, I was in India on work. A woman named something like Jane Gaddo was in a Big Brother type show in the UK along with a B rate celebrity of Indian descent. This Jane Gaddo was a no-one and in Aussie terms, quite ferral. Got to the hotel in India to an onslaught of press coverage of the UK show as Jane Gaddo (I think that was her name) got annoyed with Shilpa (the B rate celeb) and said something racist - something like "Why don't you crawl back to your dog kennel of a country you came from".. Can't recall.

The press coverage was amazing - the whole country basically spoke about nothing else for the next 2 or 3 days. I was thinking to myself, who gives a rats pass? After all, it is just some nobody.. And giving it all that publicity just strengthens her and people like her support. Well, call my cynical - I am sure she was racist - but I am thinking her agent (which they all get when they go on these shows if they already don't have one) manufactured the whole thing.

Sadly, Jane Gaddo died c. 5 years later from cancer, but that episode and shennangans afterwards turned her into a celebrity (B - C grade) and she left her 5 year old son an inheritance of something like £5m.

Also - look at those like the Kardashians (2 of them are now billionaires), and now the web site onlyfans - where if you have a great rack and pass, you can make millions in short time. What sort of society have we become to reward this sort of behaviour? But, I think this is the impact of media - if you make only this cheap carp available, people will watch it and they will eventually be celebrated...

Another example, on returning to Australia the first time, I noticed that Aussie (or Melbourne/Victorian) men have an aggression issue in general, compared to the  UK and Western/Central Europe, anyway. In fact, even most of the US I lived in, the general level of aggression on makes wasn't as obvious in Melbourne, anyway.  Of course, before leaving Aussie shores to live, I had no idea, and it isn't the gangs, or knife crime or guns extreme.. it is just a general level.. things like when driving, we will guard our real estate the car takes with zeaslousness few other countries do; we tend to take more aggressive posturing, etc. I think some of this has to do with the media portayal of Aussie Rules (a game I do love), and its not only acceptance, but encouragement of some of the more violent aspects of the game. This can't be a good role model for kids.

(BTW, I wasn't the only Aussie re-pat and European ex-pat that noticed this).

Also, we still watch the tellie today... Just not the broadcast stations (or, more accurately, rarely). TVs these days are "smart"; we stream, youtune, watchafl, etc. The TV's still there, the content providers have changed.. why aren't they moderated in the same way as the traditional TV broadcasters?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Here's a funny but true story about Australian drivers. There was a guy from Boston who worked here for 2 years. Shortly after arriving, he was involved in a freeway-joining crash because nobody let him in as they do back in the US. The Australian way, he discovered, was that you slow and wait for an opening.

Well we heard that on returning to Boston, he caused another crash, this time a chain of rear ends, when he unexpectedly slowed down on joining the freeway.

• Like 3

Indians seem to have the thinnest of skins when it comes to reacting to any non-PC comment by Anglo people. Just look at the hissy fits their cricketers have if someone's sledge is a bit close to the bone. Those of you who don't live in southwest Sydney would not understand the level of racism of Indians. Mind you, the White PC warriors have promoted this indignant behaviour without having to live amongst these people.

We pay a lot of attention to the growing influence of China based on an apparent militaristic approach to international relations, but China will, I think, stay within its own borders. India on the other hand will come in via the back door by economic means.

I think the response to a $#1thole of a place depends on whether you live there or not. I'm quite astounded why considering their treatment by Britain the Indians still hold some affection for anything British.

Driving "Courtesy" varies over time. The Americans are known for letting you in IF you just indicate you can cut across 5 lanes if you move across slowly. Melbourne used to be quite good but not now. They must be "on" something, they are so psycho. At one time passing on the left in Sydney caused weird consequences but generally they are better drivers, because you have to be..  Nev

BUT, those Sheethole places, started out as Nice !.

I live in, was, a ' low density residential area.

NOW ( thanks to the bureaucrats )

I lkve in a ' medium density mixed area ' They sacked the Parramatta council, to have an administrate r. 

We will soon have an Ugly Block of Flats, half for ' low income ' residents.

In other-words refugees. ( from War Zones, with their take on life ). 

Already three old time residents have sold up.

spacesailor

You talk about Indians being thin skinned. What about that fkn eejit aboriginal doctor or what ever he is, who campaigned and had Coon Cheese renamed, even though it was named after the guy who developed it. Now he wants the Carlton Football Club to change its theme song "We are the old 'dark' navy blues". Gimme a break. Next it will be Richmond "Yellow and Black". Why do people pay attention to these kooks.

We know that the type of cheese you are referring to was names after the process for making it; the process was developed by a person whose surname was Coon, and the surname "Coon" is an old Scottish one. So taking offence at the name of that cheese simply shows one's ignorance. Do we now rename Danish Blue, and Stinking Bishop?

For a business such as a cheese producer it is not a case that they were forced by an individual but that they reacted to a number of complaints which out numbered the amount of people who lobbied to keep the name.   From a business point of view your product names or chosen or change on the basis what is good for business.    Whilst we may consider it thin skinned to complain about the existing name it also appears to me to be thin skinned to be distressed by change.

Were you ever cautioned, not to call the English,  Bastards. .

As in " pomebastards ".  

Very deogitory to say ,they were born to ' unmarried parents '.

The first lot may have been, not the ones who chose to come here.

Took a lot to make me come over to the other side, ( pond that is, Tasman sea, see ).

spacesailor

6 hours ago, red750 said:

"Breast feeding" is now also out. Has to be "chest feeding".

That's a furphy.  

One maternity department in one UK hospital ADDED the option to use "chestfeeding" for trans patients.  They at no time banned the word breastfeeding.

Of course when the right wing rags grab it and use it to dog whistle, the barking starts.

On 09/04/2021 at 10:41 AM, octave said:

Don't get me wrong folks I am in no way pro TV.  In our house we watch online or by subscription where we make an active choice rather than spinning through the channels to find the least worst thing to watch. 

Spot on, Octave!

Our house has access to several streaming services but (being an old fart) I still like to flick channels. There are a few old favorites still worth watching (New Tricks, Doc Martin, Frost, David Attenborough...

Sometimes we happen upon something good; SBS often has an excellent foreign movie and NITV has more decent shows than most.

..We tend to remember the past selectively.    I am skeptical that todays young are more aggressive or warlike than my generation...

Too plurry right!

While staying with us our grandkids noticed and ad. on TV and asked “what’s that?” They’d never seen free-to-air, having streamed services only.

One of the best things a parent can do is to watch with your child and play the computer games your child..

Quality shows are still to be found and can reach a huge audience crying out for something decent to watch. This show out of Brisbane is a prime example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluey_(2018_TV_series)