Download speed

Admin

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My NBN is still really great..still doing constant 23mb/s dload and 4.7mb/s upload. there has been a couple of hiccups but only for a very short time so in general I cant complain at all but there are a lot of others in my local area that are having issues but I believe it is their ISP. I am wit TPG and they have been excellent

• 1 year later...

Well, here we are, years behind everyone, just getting connected to the NBN. The actual NBN connection was installed about 3 weeks ago, and our landline switched over a week later. Our internet was switched over yesterday. On ADSL2 on a good day, we were getting around 5 Mbps, and my daughter said that recently at 2 am while watching Netflix, she got 0.5 Mbps. She "owns" the connection, and I piggyback off it.  She organised for the 50 Mbps service which she got at a good price because we have been customers for a number of years. Our first test was 43 Mbps, and a bit later we even recorded 55 Mbps.

Her is a test I ran at 6.30 pm today.

[ATTACH]50534._xfImport[/ATTACH]

My son loves it. Streaming Netflix in 4K with zero buffering.

45130515_Internetspeedtest6.30pm31122019.thumb.JPG.8a0804cce1e0710cb4d9d9e672c594c0.JPG

I have had NBN at my city home for about 3 years which by the way was 3 years earlier than proposed....Wyatt Roy got our area into the stage luckily by crawling up Malcolm Turnbulls backside..and I am grateful. The only issue is it is FFTN and being about 1km from the node the best I can expect is 25mb and thats what I get. Up here at the farm halfway bet Childers and GinGin the only internet was wireless broadband from Telstra and even then I had to use my 30years in the radio business to get a system of RF together to make it work reliably but best speed ever seen was around 5mb. NBN do satellite internet so I chased Skymesh after some online research and got them to do it..it would have been installed in about 8 days but I pushed them out for a month until the next trip up here. The guy came and installed the dish on the roof...he gave me a DC to 48 supply so I can run the sat modem off my battery backup system so it doesnt stop when the power goes out as it does up here from time to time. I didnt want to reconfig the commercial wireless router I had here so had to wait until I came back up in another month with a normal router to attach to the sat modem.

Came up that month setup the modem and bingo straight online. I have to admit I was impressed. I get a pretty solid 25mb from the satellite and 5mb upload speed. The ping isnt great so no good for gamers at about 600ms but it has to be that way with any asynchronous data link over 72,000 km twice a time. The price is about the same I pay for the 5mb wireless from Telstra but instead of 30gb per month I now get 45gb peak and 90gb off peak. The ping time is not a issue either for my security cameras I log into and also have PTZ as well its just a little delay when you command something...Netflix and any streaming is fine with no buffering either. 

Just like all NBN the speeds and other issues others have and usually blame the NBN is NOT the NBN its your service providers equipment they use with their interface with NBN or their own network equipment. At home I am with TPG and it has worked brillantly for 3 years yet all the locals around Burpengary connect to telstra on the NBN are squealing all the time...the same with other ISP. Similar with the satellite stuff...some ISP there are lots of complaints about "The NBN" but its not them usually its the crap ISP. Skymesh so far for the past 3 months has been excellent

We've been reasonably happy with TPG ADSL2, that's why we stayed with them for NBN. We have even ported our Telstra landline (or NBN replacement) to TPG, which will save $30 - $40 per month. TPG's internet is good, but their technical support staff on the phone are shyte. Our modem was couriered to us to install ourselves. My daughter, who looks after all the TV sound systems and internet connections was doing the installation. She was trying to make the girl on the phone at TPG understand that we were in a single, one storey house. The girl asked at least four times whether we had upstairs, or were in a duplex. She also could not understand that the NBN line had been installed, and we had an NBN modem, which was attached to a Telstra phone modem, but at the time only had TPG ADSL2 modem. All we had to do was replace the last two with TPG's NBN modem. when the system was ready to cut over. My daughter eventually got it worked out.

Despite being only 5kms from the CBD in Perth, we only got NBN last year. The wait was advantageous, because we ended up with FTTC, and the Gateway is in a pit in the footpath at the gate.

We've been with Iinet for 17 years and stayed with them. We got a Bundle package with the VOIP phone and free calls to mobiles included.

The NBN has been relatively trouble-free, only one glitch where we went offline for a day. The NBN blokes rocked up and fixed the problem, it was a faulty join. Only took them about an hour.

We've got a subscription to Netflix and bought a top-of-the-wozza Fetch Mighty set-top box, so the Missus is happy, we also subscribed to a couple of Channel packs, which I rarely watch, though.

We previously had ADSL2, the speed with the NBN is greatly improved, but I tested it and it rarely gets to 50Mbps, sometimes it's only 37 Mbps. You get variations in advised speed, according to what site you use to test your speed.

• 1 month later...

Looking at this animation of the proposed 57,000 satellites to be launched in the next five years makes you wonder how reliable and cheap satellite connections will be in the future. Some people on satellite connections say it's ok. A mate in western Queensland is on a NBN satellite connection and said that it's as bad as dial up on the odd occasions you can any reception.

[ATTACH]50637._xfImport[/ATTACH]

2.thumb.jpg.e38092f8809ac3258bfb4576f9403e94.jpg

Just ran the fast.com speed test, 2:20 pm Sunday. Download 42 Mbps, upload 5.4 Mbps.

That's a good speed. Just checked mine at 10 Mbps, which is good for here. I'm still on copper wire ADSL with my property phone cable being nearly 500 meters into the property. The wireless NBN was supposed to be on last November, but no word yet. The tower is less than 2k away and has been humming for a few months now. But maybe that's the power transformer and they haven't got the transmitter on line yet.

I don't know how good wireless NBN is. The Telstra mobile signal is bulletproof around here, but digital tv drops out when it rains.

20 for me.  We're on fixed wireless NBN.

Marty, does fixed wireless mean the signal comes from one fixed local tower? I guess that's what we're getting here.

Had a letter from TPG today trying to sell a plan and saying the NBN is now available. But not a peep from the NBN so far to let people know it's on.

Marty, does fixed wireless mean the signal comes from one fixed local tower? I guess that's what we're getting here.

Had a letter from TPG today trying to sell a plan and saying the NBN is now available. But not a peep from the NBN so far to let people know it's on.

Yes - small square (mounted diamond - angled) dish on the roof, pointed in the direction of the nearest tower.

It's a million times better than the Ipstar satellite we used to be on.  Sometimes now we have the kids watching their Netflix show in one room and we're doing computer/phone stuff in the other.  Before, Spotify was a distant pipe dream, let alone streaming TV.

Yes - small square (mounted diamond - angled) dish on the roof, pointed in the direction of the nearest tower.

It's a million times better than the Ipstar satellite we used to be on.  Sometimes now we have the kids watching their Netflix show in one room and we're doing computer/phone stuff in the other.  Before, Spotify was a distant pipe dream, let alone streaming TV.

Thanks Marty. Hopefully it won't be too affected by weather or trees. I've got a lot of tall timber around my place but it doesn't affect the Telstra mobile signal; only the occasional rare dropout. It will be interesting to see how long it will be before Australia starts to benefit from the thousands of satellites that they're starting to put up in orbit.