Download speed

Admin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have my first provider to NBN wanting me to go with them!.

A little help would be appreciated. I tried to calculate their speed & download,

For $60 ( same as Optus broadband) They offer 250 GB @ approximately 8,5Mbps, if 28 day billing, what number of Gb's could I download ?

I did try my calculator but was lost in the numbers.

spacesailor

I don't have the NBN yet but my ADSL plan gives me 150GB a month with average download speeds of 12.3mbps upload speeds of 4.2mbps. Cost with IInet is $29.95 a month. I don't think I have ever used more than 40GB. I have Foxtel & download a few movies which usually consume 1.5 to 3 GB each & browsing, youtube email etc for 2 users makes up the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

KGW

Have a couple of kids (your relo'es) play a soccer game on their Ipads, and watch the gigs burn,

I thought their sitting in the same room on opposing beds they wouldn't need internet connection,

But was very wrong on that.

That's the pair in my Hummebird

spacesailor

It's a bit like the ad - who's Slow Vakia now? Even the Democratic Republic of Congo would be laughing at us.

I was talking to a mate on a property at Isisford in western Queensland, where they've had the NBN provide satellite connections. He said on the rare occasion it works, it's as slow, or slower than dial up and drops out continuously.

The thing that's wrong with the NBN is politics. Remember we were all supposed to be connected by the end of 2016 & that was to our house. On the ABC 4 corners they were saying Dunedin in NZ was their first gigabit city. Our best seems to be around 100 megabits with some hapless people still trying to get to the magic 1 megabit mark. If a commercial venture was in charge without any political interference all of the cities & major towns would have been on ages ago. The problem would be getting access to the bush as the cost would far exceed any return so it would not be commercially viable.

The cost of supplying the "bush" with grid electricity and Internet speeds has to be a challenge. I can't see any way really how it can be done without subsidy and some unreliability. Peoples expectations might be too high, but non the less this has been a deliberate political choice, and I hope eventually the truth will come out and you will see how you have been dudded. New Zealand shows it can be done by a country with economic limitations. 5 million on 2 islands and a lot of distance involved and it's not flat and shakes a lot. As usual the Kiwi's punch above their weight. They are a bit more real over there. Nev

The cost of supplying the "bush" with grid electricity and Internet speeds has to be a challenge. I can't see any way really how it can be done without subsidy and some unreliability. Peoples expectations might be too high, but non the less this has been a deliberate political choice, and I hope eventually the truth will come out and you will see how you have been dudded. New Zealand shows it can be done by a country with economic limitations. 5 million on 2 islands and a lot of distance involved and it's not flat and shakes a lot. As usual the Kiwi's punch above their weight. They are a bit more real over there. Nev

Yep NZ does punch above its weight. My son moved his tech business to NZ 3 years ago partly because the internet was faster but also because NZ is more progressive both in a business sense and a social sense (but also craft beer and coffee). He also regularly tries to convince us to also move there. I must say having visited there many times, other than the fu****g wind in Welly I am quite interested.

NZ is a really nice place to visit. Lovely scenery, and the people understand Australian humour. But flying can be rather limited - by their English weather, and a lot of cumulus granitus clouds. And lots of mountains with rotor on the lee, and if you do get away from the mountains, lots of small, not-so-level paddocks that are challenging to Pilots doing outlandings. And then there are the headwinds.....

QUOTE="nomadpete, post: 37302, member: 140"]NZ is a really nice place to visit. Lovely scenery, and the people understand Australian humour. But flying can be rather limited - by their English weather, and a lot of cumulus granitus clouds. And lots of mountains with rotor on the lee, and if you do get away from the mountains, lots of small, not-so-level paddocks that are challenging to Pilots doing outlandings. And then there are the headwinds.....

Flying in unzud, sweet as bro!

On my last trip we (my son who now lives there my bro in law and myself) spent a day flying a 152 with a great instructor from kapiti aero club, the weather "was sweet as bro"

[ATTACH]49035._xfImport[/ATTACH]

IMG_46312rec.thumb.jpg.06a4dfa61dee4eb4bc85a5d4b544829a.jpg

I spent 40 year flying in EnZed & I reckon there were more good flyable days there than what I have now. It is somewhat more challenging but we just accepted that there would be 15-20 knots crosswind on a good day. Most kiwi aviators have a very strong sphincter muscle. When the weather is good and you are flying in the mountains the scenery is absolutely spectacular. Flying a C172 from Queenstown to Milford Sound on a beautiful Autumn day after the Warbirds over Wanaka show 17 years ago is, and is likely to stay the most awesome flight of my life.

So you think it could ever be as good as "Copper" / cable.

I've only heard bad things about NBN.

So I don't want it, they may think with a monopoly, they could force the consumer to take whats offered, but it never works.

Some folks are paying for satellite and American ISP.

spacesailor

Average download on 4G LTE is 33 MBPS whereas the NBN has a theoretical download speed of 100 MBPS but very few ISPs are able to deliver this, hence the current refunds going on. My ADSL 2 currently averages 15 MBPS download with around 4 MBPS upload speed.

The real difference though is cost per GB. I have a land line ADSL2 connection and get 150 GB per month for $29.95. Telstra charges $24.00 for 1 GB plus $1.46 per MB above this with their top of the range hot spot Nighthawk M1. You can get 20GB for $70.00 plus 34c per MB above that. This is called a large plan. On their large mobile plan it would cost $70.00 for the first 20GB plus the next 130GB at 34c per MB or $340.00 per GB so the cost for 150GB would be $44,270.00.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...