Download speed

Admin

Google has a very interesting service it offers quietly here https://www.google.com/get/videoqualityreport/ it rates your ISP against others that service your area and shows for 100% of users requesting a 720p HD video stream how many the service provider will support at the requested HD, how many have to drop back to SD and how many drop back to even lower than SD due to severe ISP congestion. . . .

Very interesting Andy, thanks for the tip. In Newcastle East Telstra is a marginal winner with TPG and iiNet pretty close with, as you would expect DoDo dragging its butt. All come up assessed as SD.

Personal experience is that SD run in realtime, 720p usually OK but sometimes a delay in buffering and 1080p HD almost always buffering. Running catch up TV (via internet) on my Samsung TV is usually OK with no buffering delays.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Malcolm has any idea where the money is coming from either nor does he have any costings for the FTTN.

Malcolm is the only politician (on either side) who has the slightest clue about the interweb but he will be having trouble getting the dough from his ex BFF Joe Hockey and I doubt he gets much support from (not so) Fat Tony.

We finally got ADSL2 here a short while ago & I have just upgraded. We are about 1km from the local exchange. Access to most sites hasn't changed much in terms of how quickly data is displayed. The limitations are more the size of the pipe from the host or the work the host is being asked to do at the time than anything I reckon. Video is quicker & is available before the display which often was a problem in the past as there would be a stop while the data being downloaded caught up. I haven't downloaded any files yet to see the improvement there.

2 Days ago these were the results

Ping 22 ms

Upload 0.21 Mb/s

Download 1.4 Mb/s

Just now the results are:-

Ping 24 ms

Upload 0.87 Mb/s

Download 15.11 Mb/s

So from ADSL-1 to ADSL-2 upload has improved 414% and download 1079%

• 1 month later...

Our internet has been woeful and getting worse, even in town. So frustrated spacer.png I just thought I would tell someone who cared. spacer.png

I have been playing 2 rounds of cards waiting for a page, even the speed test took several goes to get loaded. We were supposed to be on the NBN by now, but that was shelved after the change of policy.spacer.png

Test run on 29/09/2014 @ 03:16 PM

Mirror: TPG

Data: 130 KB

Test Time: 10.11 secs

Your line speed is 106 kbps (0.11 Mbps).

Your download speed is 13 KB/s (0.01 MB/s).

Sue spacer.png

Results from Cleve, SA on ADSL2+ (less than 100metres from the exchange building).

Upload Test

Test run on 29/09/2014 @ 05:21 PM (EST)

Mirror: Internode

Data: 22 MB

Test Time: 10 seconds

Your line speed is 18.1 Mbps (18105 kbps).

Your download speed is 2.21 MB/s (2263 KB/s).

Download Test

You uploaded 1 MB bytes in 11.23 seconds.

kbps: 747.76

KB/s: 93.47

Mbps: 0.75

Results vary. I think the major limiting factor is the uphaul connection from the exchange. Whatever local speed we get we still have to share a DS3 uplink (45Mbps).

Guest Andys@coffs

Sue

Are you sure your not being shaped? I note that tpg for some of their plans have shaping speeds of 128k which is v close to what you are reporting. Might be worth checking....... A friend of mine, older and not altogether computer literate signed up to a Telstra NBN deal of 1!whole Gb per month which most months will cover Microsoft updates..... Anyway they were bleating very loudly about hopeless NBN speed and it was reality that by the 3rd day after new monthly billing cycle that their entire usage was used. In the month I checked by day 23 they were up to 5gb, 4 of it at 256 and I thought that was appalling speed!

Andy

P.s they also signed up to 12mbps down 1mbps up (very much cost driven....but chose Telstra???) if you were close to the exchange on adsl2+ that would probably be slower than what you might have already had

Optus have been having trouble over the last few day...for me, it wasn't useable for a couple of hours this morning and I am on Optus Cable but it was only for International Sites as in the server is outside Australia like Recreational Flying is...It is on the agenda to get an Aussie server but they are so expensive to get what I have now

Guest Andys@coffs
Results from Cleve, SA on ADSL2+ (less than 100metres from the exchange building).

Upload Test

Test run on 29/09/2014 @ 05:21 PM (EST)

Mirror: Internode

Data: 22 MB

Test Time: 10 seconds

Your line speed is 18.1 Mbps (18105 kbps).

Your download speed is 2.21 MB/s (2263 KB/s).

Download Test

You uploaded 1 MB bytes in 11.23 seconds.

kbps: 747.76

KB/s: 93.47

Mbps: 0.75

Results vary. I think the major limiting factor is the uphaul connection from the exchange. Whatever local speed we get we still have to share a DS3 uplink (45Mbps).

It's my experience that most isp's put limits around what you can get. I used to connect at 19mbps but could never better 10mbps in real life. When I transferred to nbn they gave me a new account but never killed the old. If I use new PPPoE credentials I get my 50/20 speed, if I use the older PPPoE Adsl2+ credentials I get 10/1 over NBN.

My ISP is an SA based one but I'm pretty sure the approach they have put in place is standard.

Irony is I spent real $ getting to 19mbps connectivity from an older modem that would stably connect at nothing higher than 12mbps.......dollars down the drain!

Andy

Not being shaped - we are with TPG over Telstra landline on a 512/60GB plan with laptop via ethernet cable from modem. Three weeks into the billing cycle and we have used 4.3% of that and the previous month we used 2,257MB (3.8%). Modem is less than 12 months old. I have the WiFi set up for my husband to get annoying adverts on his iPad while he is playing free card games (that's all he uses it for) which wouldn't account for many Gigs. So, I put it down to a substandard rural copper wire service. Our phone audio quality is scratchy, so can't expect much from broadband. Within 1km of the exchange too.

Perhaps we should stretch the string between the cans a bit tighter? spacer.png

Sounds more like high resistance joints in the cable, but over that distance you probrably only have three joints. when the digital exchanges were first rolled out in the bush, the fax machines suddenly got a lot more particular about line quality. A lot of 30 pair cables only had about 15 pairs fit to transfer data back then, so they would be worse now.

This is in a country town in NZ at 2.00 am:

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 29/09/2014 @ 10:57 PM*

Mirror: Optus

Data: 13 MB

Test Time: 10.01 secs

Your line speed is 11.3 Mbps (11303 kbps).

Your download speed is 1.38 MB/s (1413 KB/s).

We are about 2.5 km from the telephone exchange.

*It shows about 11 pm because in addition to the 2 hour difference with eastern Australia, we are already on daylight savings time here in NZ

• 2 years later...
Here is a sarcastic, and maybe tongue-in-cheek note to NBN Australia, posted on Facebook. If any forumites have the NBN connected, I would like their comments, as they are currently installing in our area right now.

"To NBN Australia

Just wanted to let you know what an outstanding job you guys are doing in Australia. After 3 months of waiting for my house to be recognized on your system I was thrilled to book my appointment with Telstra to get your service installed in my house. It only took 30 rounds of "we'll be in contact within 4 days" before you got in contact, which I thought was impressive given your tiny budget. But alas I am here and its been an amazing few days with your service. Today I had a record speed of 1.1mbps, which allowed me to briefly google whether 1.1mbps was a normal speed for someone paying $120 per month. Unfortunately though, 1.1mbps was too much to ask for too long and the connection has slowed to a mere 0.36mbps again. Thankfully I was able to use my phone, which I thought to test as well on the 4g network, which surprisingly had a download speed of 63.5mbps. Was the guy on the television ad confused when he said it was faster? Someone should let him know before anyone else gets misled. These are normal speeds in my area, although my neighbour had 2mbps yesterday which was a new record for the street. We had a party to celebrate but unfortunately we had to cut it short because Spotify stopped working because of the connection dropping out.

I am excited for the future of this network but worried I am over extending myself with my 1000gb per month plan. See, at 0.36mbps the most I could download in one month would be just shy of 300gb if I was at full speed 24/7.

Anyway, keep it up guys, you are doing Australia proud."

My son moved his computer games development company from Australia to NZ for many reasons but one the big reasons was -

[ATTACH]48816._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Well play NZ, well played

11425065_1101118129904904_7442492449769084836_n.thumb.png.e366544ac903d4c3953cb7967a98539d.png

My son moved his computer games development company from Australia to NZ for many reasons but one the big reasons was -

[ATTACH=full]2320[/ATTACH]

Well play NZ, well played

NZ do an awful lot of things smarter than we do.

What is NBN?

I keep hearing about it, but I don't think it is going to happen here in the near future. Meanwhile I can download, or is it upload? at about 57kbps. I used to make photo books using Myphotofun, but I need to download the updated program and it is just impossible. I used to be able to design a photo book, upload it and it would be printed and posted to me. Now my internet is too slow to upload, it will keep trundling along all night and then collapse in a heap. I could make a DVD and post it to them, if I had the updated program. But I don't.

We were the first to have to get the digital TV, which we didn't want and it cost us $500 to get set up, so it seems we wil be the last to get NBN.