Where's Phil?

red750

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Can one of you Pommies contact his flying club to find out?

I'll give it a go tomorrow... They are in Tier 4 lockdown, so I don't like the chances anyone will be there... But worth a shot. The contact # is a mobile one.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what tier 4 lockdown means, but the news from my sister in Sussex is not great. She has several friends who have the virus and everyone seems to be afraid of getting it. not surprising when you see the death rate in the UK. It would be good to hear some good news of Phil.

• Agree 2

Tier 4 is not quite as tough as normal lockdowns in Aus. There are challenges here, on everage, that make it more difficult to do a proper lockdown than Aus, but to say the government has handled it competently is a massive overstatement. The fact that sizeable political donations in the millions can be received as long as they are declared may have had something to do with it, I htink.

Our move from Tier 2 to Tier 3 has meant that, apart from the rule of 6 (can not meet more than 6 people outdoors) and social distancing/wearing face masks in enclosed public areas, only pubs and restaurants (and other social venues like bowling and cinemas) have to close. All retail can stay open (although many independent retailers have not yet opened their doors since the first lockdown in March - though they still trade online).

I can't get to Dunkeswell airfield as I am in Somerset and it is just over the border in Devonj, which is tier 2. We are in tier 3 because there is no Avonshire anymore and Bristol is now in Somerset - and it is the reason why the whole county moved to tier 3. Ahh well, it would have just been for photography, anyway.

The mobile number has been pulled from the Staff's Aero Club website - but I still have it - and no answer. I have sent an email to the aero club to see how Phil is.. hopefully they will respond shortly, and with good news.

The site is region protected so that someone outside Australia cannot log in directly. Overseas visitors can only access it if they are registered members of recreationalflying.com, and enter via the Off Topic link in the RF menu, or at least that's my understanding of it.

@Jerry_Atrick, I believe the site is blocked to overseas readers to reduce the likelihood of scammers and spammers flooding the forums with adverts for things like phoney certificates, licences, passports and the like, and other totally unsolicited junk which we used to get a lot of previously. In other words, unpaid advertising of rubbish. These often came from Asia and the sub-continent.

• 2 months later...

O.M.E. has asked me to post this email interchange in the forum for all Phil's friends:

Phil,
So glad to hear that you are OK. We had worries that the dreaded lurgy had claimed you as a victim. We have tried to contact you through your flying club, but there has only been flying done here by a guy in a red and white flying suit on Christmas Eve. 

I've given up on posting anything because of two idiots who would rather troll than contribute.

All the best
Mark 

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 22:36, Phil <airside4me@gmail.com> wrote:
Ecky thump Mark. . . G'Day.

I'm still here and in reasonable health.  I hope that Mrs A and your family are also.

There's still no flying here in the UK, but we're hoping to hear some news in May  (! !)

And I shall post on the forum today Sir. 

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

Thank you for following that up Peter, and for passing it on to us.

I really have come to think of our forumites as "family". I miss those who have decided to move on.

People such as Phil, and OME have been a big, valued source of social interaction, especially to those of us who are feeling the pinch of isolation.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Got an email from Phil today:

'ALLO COBBER ! ! ! !

Oh I've bin around and about, spending a lot of time on ham radio, chatting and arguing with some friends and others. . . .  I need to put up a new wire antenna for dx on the HF bands.  I was given a cracking used HF commercial transceiver, out of an oil rig base station in Saudi, but the weather here has been so bloody poor that I haven't been able to erect the darned thing.

My Airfield has finally fitted a remotely accessible REAL TIME LIVE weather station, and the link is thru https://www.othertonairfield.com then select WEBCAM & WEATHER.  It looks like half the sodding windsock has blown away in the gales a few days back. . .another maintenance job I guess. . .   I've not been on RECFLYING for a bit Mark,. . .must give a shout to see wotz going on. 

I hope your family is well.  My lot are doiing OK, all having partaken of the Government / Media injectible.   I'm the black sheep and have maintained my refusenik status from day one.  Two of my family have had the kung flu,. . .oddd, since they have had 3 jabs. . . oh well, ours is not to reason why.

Oh dear. . .got to go, Daughter has left her Terrorist Spaniel with us for 4 hours. . .Jeeze. . .

CYA Later Mark.   All the best. 

Phil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1