Mobile phone usage

willedoo

Octave, it's more than just information and knowledge sharing. The (mis)use of mobile phones is often just plain rude, and bad-mannered behaviour.

The phone users ignore the people they are with, to concentrate 100% on their phone, thus making the other people they are supposed to be interacting with, feel less worthy than an electronic device.

If I even start to touch my phone when seated with my wife at a dinner table, I get an earful about rudeness - and rightly so.

Octave, it's more than just information and knowledge sharing. The (mis)use of mobile phones is often just plain rude, and bad-mannered behaviour.

The phone users ignore the people they are with, to concentrate 100% on their phone, thus making the other people they are supposed to be interacting with, feel less worthy than an electronic device.

If I even start to touch my phone when seated with my wife at a dinner table, I get an earful about rudeness - and rightly so.

I can't say I have ever had someone pull out a phone mid conversation in a social situation. I guess I would avoid those people but is it really that common?  

I went to the Transport Department this week to pay vehicle registration. About thirty people were there, all with numbered tickets waiting to be served; their ages varying from young ones getting learners permits through to oldies. After sitting there for a while, I realized there were only myself and two others not staring at mobile phones. Most had blank moronic expressions and only differed from wax dummies in that their fingers occasionally performed a pecking ritual on the face of their phones...

I totally agree, Willee.

I'm reading your post while I wait in line...

Octave said,

"I can't say I have ever had someone pull out a phone mid conversation in a social situation. I guess I would avoid those people but is it really that common?  "

I see this comonly with under 30's kids.

They don't 'pull out' a home because it never leaves their hand.

Sometimes mid conversation with me (speaking of family related individuals or their friends).

Chatting happily, pause, suddenly glance at phone, quick thumbwork, then continue our conversation without losing the thread. All done in seconds.

That's how the busy younger folk are.

They don't see it the same way as we do. They see it as if these other invisible people are sitting right with us, and are included in our collective conversation even though the outsiders are talking about unrelated subjects. They are accepting the intruders 'via phone', as if they are physically present.

We 'oldies'see it as disrespectful.

You have to be very "non ignorant" to sort out the content on line. There's more misinformation than real information.  (Unfortunately). Like TV. Mostly BS and rubbish. Nev

That's very true, Nev. People who are gullible by nature or not critical thinkers, or in some cases, just not too bright, are easy game for a lot of the BS on the net. You have to use a bit of sense to filter through it.

Because the powerful knew that knowledge is power, and if the ignorant gained knowledge, the once powerful would lose their power over them.

The same applies these days with the internet, but even more so than books because of a huge audience who can access information almost immediately. It's a big threat to those in power. The media is a good example with the rise of independent and non aligned news sources online; every government's nightmare. Also, citizen's media like Twitter is a big worry for them. Hard to keep up the lies when so many citizens have phone cameras and Twitter accounts to show the world what really happened. Often a situation is doing the Twitter rounds before the powers get a chance to sanitize and apply the usual  spin.

Do you agree that since about the year 2000, the general population has become more vociferous on various topics because of the masses of information that they now have quick and easy access to?

I find that it is so easy now to research obscure subjects because of the Internet. 20/30 years ago, not a quarter of this information would be available to casual researchers (and by "researcher" I mean anyone looking for any information). I'm off now to look up a recipe for sun-dried tomato dip.

Mobile devices and the internet also allow an optimisation of time. I take the first train of the day into work; newspaper outlets are closed, etc.. I can reat the newspaper, research other stuff during what would normally be idle time.. By the time I get to work, I have had the day's brieifing and can get cracking.. Also, a lot of people who commute distances can have more normal hours as they use the time on the train to actually get some work done...

Took a picture of Ms Octave in a cafe this morning and noticed the couple in the background.   I don't have any problem with them each reading the paper rather than talking and I don't find it to be a million miles away from a couple reading something on their mobile phones.   One of the differences though may be age. I am wondering if people of a certain age or more likely to be irritated by behaviour that is different from when they were younger.   The denigration of younger people has been around for most or probably all of human history.   

[ATTACH]50706._xfImport[/ATTACH]

20200217_100255.thumb.jpg.0bb62b9e5a0bc9ee9259e6d8d3eb28db.jpg

My wife laughs at my device history. Planes, cars and this forum and weatherzone.

i watch you tube when nothing else on, usually Aussie dash cams, flight chops and other aviation ones.

i like books in my hand over reading at length on iPad or phone. 2 or 3 novels a week if good ones, only problem is storage, the walk in robe is chockers with books.

if I am with people the phone stays away. 

My kids barely lift their heads from phones and tablets. I couldn’t be kept inside from daylight to dark at their age. They tell us that things are different now.

My missus bought her own mower - a little lightweight lithium battery electric one off eBay. She reckons my big old self-propelled, 2-speed Honda HRU219 is too big and heavy for her, and she hates trying to figure out fuel tap and choke, and pull the big heavy pull rope.

She loves the little 'lekky one, it suits her main desires to have a lightweight rig with no petrol, pulling, choking, or gear operation involved. She even remembers to charge it when she wants to use it.