Does anyone recognise this item?

While doing a big cleanup of our kitchen we found a strange little bit of equipment.

As shown in the pix, it's 32x 17x 7mm and seems to be folded up from stainless steel.

Can any of you technical people identify it?

[ATTACH]50555._xfImport[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50556._xfImport[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50557._xfImport[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50558._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpeg.1266cc1618c1c4cf374c9dc94d958032.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1ddf8dc073144b6ac3d208ccb06a5be2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4605418d375366cd324cec8b70effe1e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b0aa80bdd3258aa892adfbbac17f741d.jpeg

OME, you haven't got a clue, have you?  :classic_biggrin: There's nary a thread to be seen on it!  I can see where the countersunk-head screws went, though.

I searched Google for the image and Google told me it was a belt buckle. Good try, but no cigar, I reckon.

Red - Yes, it must have been a common saying for inquisitive youngsters in our day, it seems it comes from our parents era - my Dad always used it on me, when I got too inquisitive. First recorded use in Australia, in 1917.

It looks small, unless you have really big biros of course. The only other observation is that the half oval section has a beveled cutting or scraping edge, and the counter sunk screw holes might attach it all to a handle. My best bet is a thingamebob.

I don't think they are countersunk holes, I think it is a two-piece unit, with indentations in the outer part, which slip into holes in the inner part when put together. 

I think it is intended to separate into the two parts.

[ATTACH]50564._xfImport[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpeg.37553b308c81d80884c11ad923e27586.thumb.jpeg.6c62b95c407ccfc09848c4746e2c9cbb.jpeg

I don't think they are countersunk holes, I think it is a two-piece unit, with indentations in the outer part, which slip into holes in the inner part when put together. 

I think it is intended to separate into the two parts.

That could be right, Peter. If they were countersunk screw holes, the hole diameter of the inner cutting edge section would be the size of the screw shank and not so big like it is. It's hard to visualise what the cutting edge would do.

Can't we just forget you ever found it.? It's just a bracket for some fitting or something or other you didn't need at the time. IF it WAS important you would have known about it long ago.  My brain cells are in short supply so I have to use them on important things.. Critical allocation of scarce resources  to priority tasks sort of thing.   Nev.

It's actually something he wanted desperately about 5 years ago. Despite a major search, he couldn't find it, so he went out and bought another one.

Then he's found the item, well after he needed it, and it's been that long, he's even forgotten what it was actually for.

That's what happens every time I need an item, and I know I've got it somewhere. I spend hours looking for it, can't find it, and go and buy another one at great cost.

This then makes the gremlins put the item back where you thought it was, and you find it again, long after you needed it.

Hide it.

Tell your wife you've thrown to out.

She will be happy to hear that ( brownie points!)

Wait a week. (This depend on how bad your short term memory is).

Suddenly you will need it! (Basic rule of the shed.... You never think you'll need something until a week after you throw it out)

Problem solved. Then Tell us! We're dying to know.

Basic rule of the shed.... You never think you'll need something until a week after you throw it out

That's very true and also very weird. It must be some cosmic force of nature or something. I've been cleaning up to put the place on the market and stuff that hasn't been used for twenty years or more suddenly has a use and is missed within a week or two of throwing it out. Why is it so?

A food tool to core a fruit or vegetable or remove a section of it.

Has a sharp blade  so must be to cut stuff.

Probably from a tool that has changeable heads.

Used in torture of food.

Litey you get the prize. My kid sent these pix of a long-forgotten device that cores, peels and makes spirals out of apples:

[ATTACH]50587._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50588._xfImport[/ATTACH]

7D7103C3-0C55-44AF-9791-CB23E2A65387.thumb.jpeg.d4ba5bfb7a8df714708b5e346657cd6b.jpeg

84FA14D0-32DD-451A-8896-030F4A00EA5B.thumb.jpeg.6e91d40bf52691c9fd8eadef9c7093e2.jpeg