Where's me job, M Rabbott?

old man emu

I beg to differ Kaz. He copped a lot of backlash from his own side for doing it and lost seats. I have NO reason whatever to speak well of Howard but I follow politics a fair bit. Any one could be wrong as I may be here but don't feel so in this instance. he did say "never ever" and it was hung on him many times since. That was years before . Your view reflects the common Labor view of it. which I do not agree with. I hate arguing for Howard but that is what I strongly believe happened. He declared a change of policy BEFORE the election and suffered for it. Nev

I voted for him, Nev and kicked myself after :-) I never did like him, I'm afraid. I was always sad Peacock didn't get a run and I thought Hewson a decent man but Howard ... (Best left unsaid).

Seems I had it half right...Apologies for the wrong half...blame old age and 9 doses of Bilateral ECT .

"John Howard was re-elected leader of the Liberal party in 1995, and pledged "never, ever" to introduce the GST.[1] Howard led the Liberal-National Coalition to a large victory in the 1996 elections.

Still, before the 1998 election, Howard proposed a GST that would replace all sales taxes, as well as applying to all goods and services. The Howard Government finished on a two-party-preferred vote of 49.02% at the election, suffering a swing of 4.61% to Labor on 50.98%. However, the incumbent government retained a parliamentary majority of seats in the lower house. Howard described the election win as a "mandate for the GST". Lacking a Senate majority, and with Labor opposed to the introduction of the GST, the government turned to the minor parties such as the Australian Democrats for support."

So yes, he did take it to an election just three years after the "Never Ever" statement and it was only with the help of the Democrats that he got it through.

Politics are a funny thing and they attract cranks and fanatics. I didn't like Keating when he was PM because he was utterly ruthless, but I did admire his intellect. I thought Hawke a loud-mouthed womaniser and, while I held Beasley up as a decent type, he just didn't have it to be in Government. Now I think about it, the last one I liked was poor old Malcolm, pants and all. I met he and Tammy back in about 1982 and they were just lovely friendly country folk; no pretentiousness at all.

Kaz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winsor68,

You get out of life what you put in, I have worked in the oil & gas industry for the last 20 years, 10 of that I haven't been home as I have worked equal time and sacrificed a lot for the income I earn, it is ok to have a crack at someone who is prepared to be away from home 1/2 their life and sacrifice birthdays, weddings, kids school things to give their family a better life.

Yeah I am all for as long as I get yours I Bl**dy earn it mate while your sleeping in your bed every night.

And what is your real job compared to mine????, bet your not out in the p!ssing rain & hail offshore in 60kt winds drilling for oil & gas or out there in 50 + degree heat in the desert like I am now that allows YOU put petrol in your car and keep you and your family warm and toasty of a night.

I sacrifice my time and my families lifestyle for you to enjoy your luxuries, the stuff doesn't come from the bowser mate or the stove or heater, it comes from the efforts of others.

Yeah I earn a **** pile of money alright and don't feel one bit of guilt about it while your at home every night with your family & friends around you.

See that thing in my Avatar, I would never have had the opportunity to buy that if from not a lot of sacrifice from me and my family.

Still like to know what your real job is also compared to mine and others living the dream & the sacrifice.

Alf

I got covered in blood and guts and then vomit supporting a resource worker spine after a car accident on Friday just before I went home... Does that qualify for making a contribution?

I got covered in blood and guts and then vomit supporting a resource worker spine after a car accident on Friday just before I went home... Does that qualify for making a contribution?

And what really gives me the xXxXs...??? It my very modest wages that the crooks in govt will be going after rather than the ridiculous wages some here claim...

Yeah it does, just don't go around bagging others who work hard for what they earn, I admire people like you who do that sort of thing for others as it is something I could not do.

But I am not going to sit here and have someone criticize someone else because of what job they have as our type of jobs didn't come knocking on our doors, it took a lot of effort to make a reality.

It is a chosen path I took as we all have a choice, I am no better than anyone else just because of my earning capacity.

Alf

The real crooks are the pollys who rape and pillage the average worker, I sure as hell don't get 69% of tax payer funded super which I can get my hands on after 10 years.

They are the dirt bags of society.

I always wanted to join the police force except for the wages it is a disgrace what the country's emergency services personnel get paid.

Kaz . face to face you and I would resolve this assessment in a very short while. Politics disappoints most of us. I wonder if the adversarial thing works in law and in politics because in politics at least it works on perception rather than reality. In law some investigatorial process may be an improvement. The prosecutor may have material evidence which would acquit the accused but is under no requirement to make it available to the court process. Hardly likely to produce a just outcome. I have spent many hours talking to learned counsel about justice and the law and some quite strong views are put. I have lost my faith in legal process in this country, which is a pretty sad state of affairs Nev

The real crooks are the pollys who rape and pillage the average worker, I sure as hell don't get 69% of tax payer funded super which I can get my hands on after 10 years.They are the dirt bags of society.

I always wanted to join the police force except for the wages it is a disgrace what the country's emergency services personnel get paid.

I think a good platform for a new party would be to reduce politician's entitlements such as travel and super, back in line with whatever the average industry entitlements are. Wages are not really an issue, the PM gets around $500,000 (which is a fair bit but on the low side when compared to say a large corporation's CEO), having said that though I'd like to see them linked to either the inflation rate or APS agreements so they only go up by 2% per year instead of the 6-ish % per year the PM's salary has increased by since 2006 - but the perks like free travel for life after leaving the job, the aforementioned super, office and staff - are things that I think the majority of Australians would agree are undeserved.

Trouble is that most people seem to lose their ethics after becoming politicians so no one seriously tries to reduce their wages. Apart from Bob Brown that is.

For those who think the Prime Minister should be responsible for every little part of their lives, here's an example of what is possible when people get off their bums and use their creative skills - half a million people packed Melbourne at the weekend and spent all night, boosting retailers profitability throughout the night. At just one restaurant they worked through the day, had a two hour close for a rest then worked through the night.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/half-a-million-attend-melbournes-second-allnight-white-night-festival-20140223-33a3j.html

Success in so many things comes initially in direct proportion to the effort one puts into it.

After that," work smarter, not harder" seems a worthwhile motto, so you reap the benefits without having it all taken away from you.

Not an easy feat these days, as many on here would know.

...I have lost my faith in legal process in this country, which is a pretty sad state of affairs Nev

I too have come to this sad conclusion, Nev.

After challenging management, I was accused, found guilty and punished without being told all the charges, let alone being given any chance to defend myself. All my attempts to have the allegations against me investigated have been ignored.

Silence reigns. The more complex a legal system, the more loopholes there are to manipulate. People are so easily silenced when their job or chances of promotion are at stake.

The real crooks are the pollys who rape and pillage the average worker, I sure as hell don't get 69% of tax payer funded super which I can get my hands on after 10 years.They are the dirt bags of society.

I can only speak from my own experience as a volunteer with the SES but most of the paid professionals seem to spend most of their time working out how to rort the system by doing less and less for more and more. I am hopeful that the ICAC enquiry into corruption within the SES hierachy will sort a lot of this out. As a volunteer I expected support from the paid professionals but generally have only been kicked from pillar to post.

Company Structure

The modern era.

spacer.png

This financial crisis is forcing governments and business at all levels to make some tough decisions.

If things continue like this for much longer, there's a real risk that we may have to lay Fred off.

[ATTACH]47432._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Company Structure

The modern era.

This financial crisis is forcing governments and business at all levels to make some tough decisions.

If things continue like this for much longer, there's a real risk that we may have to lay Fred off.

attempt 2 - johnm

thing.thumb.JPG.f0c8167e17232c1454a65c82ab52d2ad.JPG

Well, I went to Bunnings today to enquire about a job. I was told that I had to apply on line, and that it is Bunnings' policy to NOT reply to the application for a couple of months, then they will contact the applicant to see if they are still interested in getting a job. The person I was talking to (just a bloke I know, not a HR person) suggested that I try at Maccas, since they are always hiring.

Like I said earlier, the only work you can get in this country is as a menial. Forget about all you have learned from formal study and life experience. The politicians have sold the country out from underneath us. I wonder if I'll even be able to buy a burial plot somewhere that a future politician wont convince the government to dig up for one of his get-rich-quick schemes.

Old Man Emu

OME, I could kick the bastards who are not helping one little bit with your serious issue, so we'll forget them.

There are several million Australians earning an income as we speak.

Bunnings policy is Bunnings policy and a lot of big companies have their quirks, so if you want to get on there then start now with an application and in eight weeks you'll get a call. My advice is to ask yourself "Do I want to go around in a uniform showing people where to find hardware."

Maccas and Coles are for under 18's or people who will work at U18 rates.

Personally I think you are looking in the wrong direction. I only have to read what you write here to know your communications skills are above average, and you have an evidence based background which required above average communications skills. Have a look at the car, truck and bus industry; there are some good jobs in the parts industry with both manufacturers and dealers and the best way to find out is just call up the Parts Managers and request a meeting. From there you will get a grasp of the possibilities. I'd start with a couple of the bigger car and truck dealers. You might be surprised. I wouldn't go through the saga I've read here; that would turn anyone off - just tell them your age, your skills, and that you're looking for work.......and practice so you get all that out in under 30 seconds. That way he knows what he's got to deal with and he'll lead the discussion.

Well, I went to Bunnings today to enquire about a job. I was told that I had to apply on line, and that it is Bunnings' policy to NOT reply to the application for a couple of months, then they will contact the applicant to see if they are still interested in getting a job. The person I was talking to (just a bloke I know, not a HR person) suggested that I try at Maccas, since they are always hiring.

Like I said earlier, the only work you can get in this country is as a menial. Forget about all you have learned from formal study and life experience. The politicians have sold the country out from underneath us. I wonder if I'll even be able to buy a burial plot somewhere that a future politician wont convince the government to dig up for one of his get-rich-quick schemes.

Old Man Emu

OME:

I worked for Bunnings for about two years. After a career as a software engineer, wages and conditions in the retail industry were a bit of a wakeup for me. I only went to work for them to keep from being bored after retiring. After about two years I had a gutful of being taken advantage of. What I couldn't get past, was the way the retail industry (and the hospitality industry too) exploit their workforce. The retailers are always bleating on about how much they have to pay in wages and that that's why their prices are so high. I'm here to tell you it's all Bulls__t! They pay peanuts and they employ fewer people in any given store than what is required to make the thing function properly. Want to know why retail staff are so rude? They cop enless abuse from customers and management because the stores are chronically and acutely understaffed, and they're paid a pittance for the privilege.

The US labour model where 1/2 the positions in an enterprise are classified as "entry level" and paid a pittance. The LNP are committed to cutting penalties, so expect plenty more jobs to pay minimum wages.

It's not just the LNP...both Australian political parties are selling us down the drain FT...

One thing about this great country ( which a lot of people think is good enough to emigrate here), is we can always go and do something for ourselves. Set our own wages, conditions, hours.....

Id love to do so.... But having enough cash saved up to try is a real stumbling block...

I started work at 17 and 45 years later am still working. Five kids put through Uni. The mining industry has paid for 40 acres of heaven and an LSA to play with on weekends. I get annoyed by the whingers who complain about fat cats with expensive aeroplanes and take it personally. Life gives back what you put in, I reckon. Many friends are flying on a shoestring, but they enjoy what they are doing. All of us ( I would count a dozen at least as friends) have no time for today' unionists and their political mates. They are the real fat cats, bullies, thugs and non- producers. The Labor party once stood for something and got my vote but in recent decades they are in it for individual self- aggrandisement. Apart from that, I have no opinion.