Where's me job, M Rabbott?

old man emu

So Tony wants me to keep working until I'm 67 before I can apply for an Old Age Pension.

I don't mind that. In fact , it seems that the mere act of going to work and being productive keeps the mind stimulated and wards off senility. I'm patriotic enough to say that I don't mind paying income tax if I was working, but ....

WHERE'S MY JOB, M RABBOTT?

There is no manufacturing industry here. Your mob let it all be sold off to Asia. The only thing that might be available is work in the Service Industries, so can I get retrained to flip burgers and upsize fries?

Can I get a New Start Allowance from 60 to 67?

Old Man Emu

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that other mob that they replaced put the country so far in debt, and frigging lied about the total amount(or were that useless they didnt know), got nothing to do with it i spose huh? what you like them to do keep spending borrowed money like there is no tomorrow, then what? that was labours' mind set, they were in there, having a fat time spending money like it was going out of fashion, now the country has got to cut back and of course it's Abbott fault is it??

Then the best bit is, of course labour is crying now about all the closures and job losses, and i heard 1 w*nker from labour claiming they cut the boats back by 90%, what a joke the labour goverments are/were, i had to put the plural, cause what was there 3 or 4 leaders in the last 3 years?

The labour leaders would not be game to show their heads out west here, where THEY completely distroyed the northern part of the country(live export), so many people walking off properties, and/or going in a box because they blew their head off because they got nothing now.

I will wait for your reply.

With a post spelling his name like that maybe the Prime Minister will stop his "finding people a job" work Monday morning and say "That's a novel way to attract my attention, I'll have to find a job for him"........or maybe he'll refer you to Senator Button who actually started the avalanche with the silly notion that "Australians would have to be competitive", when our critical mass of production hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell.

It's all in the mindset OME. I know plenty of people from their late forties on who've given up ever being employed again because "companies don't employ old people"

I know quite a few others who are earning good money into their eighties and one or two in their nineties.

From your mood of frustration I suspect you've done the rounds of the Agencies, who in my opinion just look for the high volume quick turnover market.

My advice is to look for the off beat jobs. There's an old guy who is fully employed showing visitors around the MCG and gets TV coverage, there are guys who ferry cars and trucks for manufacturers and rental companies and out earn their original career charging flat rates.

I would think someone with attention to detail skills, and company loyalty like you, could be invaluable in many large companies, but don't look for agencies to find the niches.

Good luck anyway.

So Tony wants me to keep working until I'm 67 before I can apply for an Old Age Pension.

I don't mind that. In fact , it seems that the mere act of going to work and being productive keeps the mind stimulated and wards off senility. I'm patriotic enough to say that I don't mind paying income tax if I was working, but ....

WHERE'S MY JOB, M RABBOTT?

There is no manufacturing industry here. Your mob let it all be sold off to Asia. The only thing that might be available is work in the Service Industries, so can I get retrained to flip burgers and upsize fries?

Can I get a New Start Allowance from 60 to 67?

Old Man Emu

OME some general advice follows.

You would normally need to meet an "Activity" test in looking for work whilst on Newstart Allowance. However, if you are over age 55 you may be able to perform voluntary work for 30 hours a fortnight to meet the Activity test. ie Centrelink won't be bothering you regarding looking for work although you are obviously able to do that at the same time.

If you were born before 1st July 1952 the age pension qualifying age is still 65.

Hope this is of some help to you.

If you honestly believe that Abbott has single handedly destroyed Australian manufacturing in just six months , you really are better off getting the dole, or maybe go for a union boss job ,(same skill set as a dole bludger) the fringe benefits are awesome

I love the way that every Lib, from the PM down to hardcore supporters, blames the previous Labor government for their own party's shortcomings.

What did Labor do? Hmmm... kept the country out of recession when the rest of the world were in it (that the "spending money" bit, which the Libs argued against, so thank f*ck they weren't at the helm in 2008)... Brought in the NDIS, which if you know or are related to someone with a disability, you will know is a damn good thing... Had the guts to actually say "sorry" to the aborigines, which little Johnny couldn't bring himself to do... Tried to bring in a super profits tax so the companies making obscene profits from digging up stuff that belongs to the entire country could actually contribute to it... Actually realised that global warming is caused by human activity, so put in place ways to encourage development of sustainable power generation (although they didn't go far enough). And I'm not even a Labor fan given their disgusting treatment of asylum seekers.

What have the Liberals done since winning power?

F&ck all. Oh, p*ssing off other countries, killing & maiming detainees, putting the axe to jobs, etc etc. Nothing positive that's for sure.

well, if we can just stop pretending that our political parties are as important as our respective football clubs that we support, and actually distil what old man emu said, I think you would get a lot of agreement.

The politicians want us to work longer before we get the pension

The jobs for whatever reason (especially when you get into my age bracket) are simply not there.

So, what does one do to eek out what could be a miserable existence..

Where is the common sense / logic in the treasurer's position (DON'T turn this into a he said/she said nonsense argument). It is bloody stupid

I love the way that every Lib, from the PM down to hardcore supporters, blames the previous Labor government for their own party's shortcomings.

Firstly i dont particularly like the mob that is in now, and no i didnt vote for them either.

What did Labor do? Hmmm... kept the country out of recession when the rest of the world were in it

Yep and at what price? how many Billion of $ did they waste, all the balls ups involved to hand that out.

Brought in the NDIS, which if you know or are related to someone with a disability, you will know is a damn good thing...

Wow good thing not bad

Had the guts to actually say "sorry" to the aborigines, which little Johnny couldn't bring himself to do...

Yep a real winner that one, i ask you what good has that done? really?

Tried to bring in a super profits tax so the companies making obscene profits from digging up stuff that belongs to the entire country could actually contribute to it...

Just throw the figures up that the great RED actually got from the first 1/4 of tax time for this WONDERFUL new profit tax.

It cost more to set up than it got......... yep another winner there, and it is the reason why some of the job cuts have happened.

Actually realised that global warming is caused by human activity, so put in place ways to encourage development of sustainable power generation (although they didn't go far enough).

Seriously you believe the sh*t that they tell you about this, if you were to sit back and do about 3 years of reading you probably change your mind on this one

"the seas are getting hotter, arrrr well they should be by now"

What have the Liberals done since winning power?

Trying to get the country out of the inverted tail spin that labour put it in, and walked of the cockpit saying it still in good shape(for now)

F&ck all.

they only been there for 6 months for crap's sake.

Oh, p*ssing off other countries,

What for telling it how it is, well bout time someone had to balls to do it.

killing & maiming detainees,

Ummmmm they shouldnt have been here in the first place duh, i spose it was the Gov's fault for all the boats that sank to ayy.

Nothing positive that's for sure.

I got nothing to say to that really i am sitting here scatching my head as to how some one can be so.... (oh be nice Bones) blind, 1 just 1 issue from the last line, how many boats have turned up since the election????

Dont worry i can tell you, not a single 1 since early december, compared to about 10 the same time last year, but i spose in your meager mind thats nothing huh.

None of the buggers are worth what us silly buggers are paying them ! There all there for there own retirement fund and getting as mush as they can for them selfs

Exactly, Doug.

We get the politicians we deserve and we get far too many of them. We live in a wonderful country called Australia and we cling to the anachronistic notion of individual autonomous states, each with its own bigotry and parochialism, while our total national population doesn't add up to that of one state in the USA.

Do away with the States and introduce national and regional government...get rid of local governments, too. Cut the number of politicians in half to. allow us to offer a decent salary to those who then win majority votes. Leaves enough over to pay better pensions to those in the community who need them, too.

I'll be 70 in a few weeks OME. Nearly 20 years ago I was in the middle of a humongous breakdown and thought I'd never work again. I tried to ensure that by making a couple of rather stupid attempts to end my life. Someone reached out and made me feel worthwhile again and for that I am very grateful. I commenced a whole new career (law) and now work. 50+ hours per week trying to sort the legal issues of the most vulnerable in our community. Pay is a bit ordinary but, hey, I'm working. And I get a lot of satisfaction from doing it.

Hang in there mate. Get out and talk to people. Build networks. Show you are interested. Think about starting a small business yourself. A job will happen.

Best wishes

Kaz

Firstly i dont particularly like the mob that is in now, and no i didnt vote for them either.

Yep and at what price? how many Billion of $ did they waste, all the balls ups involved to hand that out.

Wow good thing not bad

Yep a real winner that one, i ask you what good has that done? really?

Just throw the figures up that the great RED actually got from the first 1/4 of tax time for this WONDERFUL new profit tax.

It cost more to set up than it got......... yep another winner there, and it is the reason why some of the job cuts have happened.

Seriously you believe the sh*t that they tell you about this, if you were to sit back and do about 3 years of reading you probably change your mind on this one

"the seas are getting hotter, arrrr well they should be by now"

Trying to get the country out of the inverted tail spin that labour put it in, and walked of the cockpit saying it still in good shape(for now)

they only been there for 6 months for crap's sake.

What for telling it how it is, well bout time someone had to balls to do it.

Ummmmm they shouldnt have been here in the first place duh, i spose it was the Gov's fault for all the boats that sank to ayy.

I got nothing to say to that really i am sitting here scatching my head as to how some one can be so.... (oh be nice Bones) blind, 1 just 1 issue from the last line, how many boats have turned up since the election????

Dont worry i can tell you, not a single 1 since early december, compared to about 10 the same time last year, but i spose in your meager mind thats nothing huh.

Hmmm... telling me I have a meagre mind (learn how to spell English unless you're a yank) doesn't really convince me that the "oh be nice Bones" worked.

And you're right. It is nothing. They haven't turned up on the mainland because they've been turned back to Indonesia, by warships that despite having every navigational aid known to man somehow still don't know where Indonesia's territorial waters are, in the process damaging relations with our nearest neighbour who has a population over 10 times greater than us.

As for the numbers of asylum seekers, this is the biggest political furphy ever. Compared to other countries we get absolutely bugger all, they will not change our economy one iota, yet somehow this is whipped up in the voter's minds as a "real" issue. Get a grip, real issues are education, jobs, medical, social, law enforcement, etc etc. Fifty thousand extra people - who by the way are costing us what? Half a million each per annum to keep locked away in other countries? - are not a real issue.

Anyway we've had this discussion on another thread and I'm not going to get into it again.

You do know that the current government, after all that whining about "big bad debt" under the previous government, have scrapped Australia's debt ceiling because they intend to get us even further into debt. And while we are talking about wasting billions, let's think about the billions wasted by the Howard/Costello/Abbott government when they brought in all the middle class welfare just to buy votes. During that time our infrastructure was in dire need of investment and seeing us falling behind many other countries.

So, heres my story , came to oz in 1969, could work 24 /7 if i could stay awake, by 1974 labour were giving money away and wanted to print more , i then had to go to north west oz to work , worked in the mining industry (the money was not that good and the conditions were rubbish) , the labour party got dumped and hey presto work started to flow back, started the first of many businesses making good money contracting , labour got back in and what do you , work started to dry up again another round of labour give aways, libs in again , lots of good years , then the imbecile,s hawk and keating that really gave oz a caning then libs again all good to 2009/2010 labour in again , here we go again, this time i gave up , retired at 62, got into this flying and hey i needed more money, at 65 started a new career , age is no barrier ,there are many industries that need older,more experienced people , where i work i have a few 60 year olds and 1 guy who drives road trains and is 74, i work a minimum of 60 hrs and i love it, and the pay is great ,to recap 45 years in this Great Country, 4 times it was almost ruined by labour , they just cannot handle the economy , the libs can , you dont have to like a lib pollie but this lot can manage money (a 45 year australian)

cheers gareth

where i work i have a few 60 year olds and 1 guy who drives road trains and is 74, i work a minimum of 60 hrs and i love it, and the pay is great ,cheers gareth

how can the pay be great if LNP just got in? don't you mean the pay is sh!t and you are sick of getting screwed by the unions?

OME, let this be a lesson to you that gratuitous sarcasm does you more harm than good.

You've given the usual fruit loops the opportunity to fly their kites and totally ignore providing any helpful advice to you.

Kaz is the perfect example of what I was referring to, and hopefully will go on in rewarding employment for many years to come - that's the way to go. Good on her!

I'll be 70 in a few weeks OME. Nearly 20 years ago I was in the middle of a humongous breakdown and thought I'd never work again. I tried to ensure that by making a couple of rather stupid attempts to end my life. Someone reached out and made me feel worthwhile again and for that I am very grateful. I commenced a whole new career (law) and now work. 50+ hours per week trying to sort the legal issues of the most vulnerable in our community. Pay is a bit ordinary but, hey, I'm working. And I get a lot of satisfaction from doing it.

That was 20 years ago. At that time I was enjoying my career and was looking forward to another 18 years before I could retire (I was a policeman and could retire with a pension at 60). This is now. I was discharged "medically unfit" in 2007. Got a job in aviation for a couple of days per week. Enjoyed that until those who took over the company decided my services were not a financial asset. I did some courses which I thought would suit my skills and tried to start a business. Since it was a Service Industry business, and times were tough, no one wanted my services. So I've had a year of "retirement" living. The money is dwindling. The wife has callouses on the soles of her feet from my being under them, and I've got all the jobs around the house done.

Now 20 years later, the job market is shrinking and those jobs available are going to the young who have 30 - 40 years' productivity before them. I suppose I could buy myself a broom and set myself up as a floor sweeping contractor. Too bad we don't use horse-and-carts anymore. Always plenty of stuff to sweep up there!

Old Man Emu

SEEK has heaps of jobs , not all of them are sweet $100k plus gigs , but there is plenty of work for a reasonably dexterous person, although it has become increasingly difficult to employ people , I've gone from employing five to just working alone, and making money again,