Israel Folau - latest example of how to fleece the gullible

Marty_d

Re. the whole god smiting because of same sex marriage thing. If I were to seriously consider that proposition my first step would probably be to produce a map of countries where SSM was allowed and then overlay a map of natural disasters. If I did notice a correlation then I would probably investigate further to see whether the correlation was significant or not.   

Go for it, Octave!

Natural disasters happen everywhere, but our capacity to protect ourselves and recover depends on using our common sense.

I predict you will find that natural disasters have far more impact where people are religious.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eternal life in the next world and lotsa money in this one. Hard to beat the rationale. WHO wouldn't go for that? If it's actually there.

When Israel got into football, big time, he was made well aware of the fact the show was non discriminatory re GAYS. .He was warned a few times about his public statements being contrary to the agreement.. He was shown the door. He wants compensation.

Similar Christian groups are moving into the NT  and some aborigines are going for it and burning their artifacts  and turning from their tribal connections. Didn't this happen in a past time?

Aborigines don't accumulate money or OWN  things . They share it .That's worked for 60 million years for them and they haven't wrecked the place to do it. Christianity has been around for  say 2,000 years but it's origins go back a little further. Many "Believers" say the Universe is only 6300 years old. so the aborigines have existed nine times longer than the universe has?? Which one of these "things" is more likely to be closest to the truth?  Nev

Nev. How can you use truth and religion in the same sentence.

Christianity is the worlds largest insurance con trick. Be good in this life, praise the lord and you will have everlasting life.

Who would believe that sort of bull?

It's all he really knows.. Apples and the temptress Eve, started all this.. If it's all planned that makes it much worse. and they say since Trump is elected  and God works in mysterious ways. Golden Hair wouldn't be there if God wasn't OK with that situation . See it's really SIMPLE?? Or some appear to be to believe all the $#!t.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...

"Aborigines don't accumulate money or OWN  things . "

Are you certain ?

"    One of the biggest native title compensation claims is set to be launched in the federal court on Thursday. 

Clan leader Galarrwuy Yunupingu is seeking up to $700 million in compensation from the commonwealth over the Gove mine in the Northern Territory. 

The government allowed the mine to go ahead in 1968, against the wishes of the Gumatj people of northeast Arnhem Land. "

spacesailor

Well for about 60, 000 years they didn't and what other "civilisation' ever lasted for anywhere near that time. GREED 's not going to bring the concept apart if things are shared. What Lawyers advise them to do today is hardly what I'm talking about and they got a bit "modified " when Cook put a flag or two in the ground and muttered a few words about some King or whatever over the other side of the world now owning the lot and it being used / suitable to dump felons and undesirables  and not much else but keeping another  (potential colonising) Power out.

Nev

Was there justice? It looks to me that Israel Folau had a win and it cost Rugby a lot of money,  Just about what you would expect. The cost of lawyering up scared rugby and they caved in.

Now we can expect government legislation making it illegal for anyone to complain about religious utterings. The Christians will be able to condemn sinners to Hell as Israel has done. The Muslims will also be able to condemn adulterers to public stoning and non believers to death.

Oh I forgot, the Christaians will also be able to do that.

The rise of the bible bashers. Today the Australian shows our PM giving a recently released from Taliban prisoner a bible.

Shades of Joh.

One moment my grandkids, are told by teacher's to believe what is written in their text books, & yet are told that the Oldest & greatest print-run book (the world ever produced) is full of lies.

Like all the glossy mags And All the news-papers.

We of course know the government tells lies, LOTS & lots of them.

spacesailor

The government doesn't tell lies. they are just false truths. The problem is that the electorate is happy to go along with it and never stop to wonder what the hidden agenda is.

One of our previous PMs was a bible basher, but he was at least not an inconsequential wimp. The current one is just bad news and you would be well advised to never believe a thing he says.

Growing up in Alice Springs in the 1950's, and going to school there,  I never heard about:

(1) the Coniston massacre ( 1928, near Alice Springs, the last official punitive expedition against aborigines. 50 were killed, kids and all )

(2) the Boer war...  we saw their names on dead soldier's lists, but never heard about the war aims and origins. Yep, the story was  so shameful these things  were never mentioned.

(3) the Darwin air-raids. I was quite old before I found there was more than one raid. And I was never told that Australia declared war on Japan, not the other way around.

These days, I reckon that most crime is done by governments, except that they pass legislation to make their crimes "legal". So whats a few lies?

Other things I have learned recently... the terrible unnecessary waste of the Kokoda "campaign " , the stupidity of our high command over Singapore, and the loss of life caused by their stupidity and sloth and ignorance of dogs as soldiers helpers.

On the wall in the school foyer, there was a portrait of sir william slim, our governor general. We now know him to be a pedophile of the worst sort. That sums up how governments work, they are still in denial about slim.

• 2 months later...

Whether you agree with Israel Folau or not, you have to agree he can pull the haters into line to attack him. Now they are trying to get his contract with a French team torn up. Just because they don't like his religious beliefs.

I think he is a fool to believe, but I also think, those who try to cause him further pain are ratbags. We are seeing this type of thing proliferating since gay marriage was approved. Now that the whingers have achieved their aim of telling us what we can and cannot believe in they are pushing more hatefully ideas than the religious zealots.

Now that the whingers have achieved their aim of telling us what we can and cannot believe in they are pushing more hatefully ideas than the religious zealots.

You are free to believe absolutely anything you want.

You're even free to spout discriminatory religious bile in direct contravention of the rules of your contract.  No one tried to bring a criminal case against Folau for his statement, because guess what, he's free to say it.

I'm interested in which ideas you think these all-powerful "whingers", whoever they are, are pushing that are more hateful than the religious zealots?

They are trying to stop Folau working, just because they don't like his religious spouting.

Rather similar to the hate campaign about Margaret Court and possibly the latest about Bettina Arndt, although info about that is scarce.

I don't think people HATE either person They just don't like the grim stuff they say about Gays.. Particularly when the stated policy of the sports body is non discriminatory.  Bettina Arndt is different, interviewing a convicted sex offender in away considered to be too lenient for the type of offence committed. These cases are rarely exactly the same  and can't be just lumped together. The victim insists that she is being grossly misrepresented  by the perpetrator's statements about her. I have NO difficulty understanding her concerns . Nev

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/survivor-wants-bettina-arndts-australia-day-honours-removed/11928740 

Most extraordinary if the victims claims are true. Also, if Betina Arndt wants to play amateur journo about such a subject, then interviewing to get both sides of teh story surely is the correct thing to do.. and publish based on the facts...