Israel Folau - latest example of how to fleece the gullible

Marty_d

Reading what Sam Clench said I wonder how the religious books and preachers can get away with their outpourings. It was words from the Bible that caused all this furore, but nobody seems to be saying that the bible should be banned, just that Israel Folau should not quote it.

An employer sought to enforce their interpretation of a contract with an employee. This will be tested in court The employee concerned was warned several times and knew the conditions of his contract Many jobs come with an obligation not to embarrass their employer. That is the long and short of it. I as someone who works with children would probably lose my job if my public utterances were considered to have a negative effect on my employers reputation. If this is unacceptable to me then I would consider earning my living in a different way.

People who are unhappy with this situation need to consider two issues. The first issue is whether or not the interpretation of the contract is legal. This can only really judged by a court and will be unless there is an out of court settlement. Secondly does an employer have the right to expect their employee to adhere to a code of conduct? My first job was in the RAAF. I knew when I signed up that I was expected not to embarrass my employer or speak to the media etc. If I had wanted to go to an anti-war protest I would have had to choose between this and my job.

This fellow was not denied free speech, he said his piece.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with the whole thing is the right wing nut jobs jumping on the bandwagon with the "free speech" and "anti-political correctness" stuff.

Apparently Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones, two of my least favourite people, have used this to spout their nonsense.

Pretty much everyone except for hardcore christians think what he posted is ridiculous, and probably 90% of people couldn't give a toss about it, but somehow he's being held up as the poster boy for free speech.

Someone on the conservative side said there's a "quiet majority" of Australians who support Folau because they want freedom of speech. My questions are, firstly if they're so quiet then what would they do with freedom of speech, and secondly, what the hell do they want to be able to say that they can't say now?

Reading what Sam Clench said I wonder how the religious books and preachers can get away with their outpourings. It was words from the Bible that caused all this furore, but nobody seems to be saying that the bible should be banned, just that Israel Folau should not quote it.

Finally! You've revealed the crux of the problem; the elephant in the room. These rule books were developed a thousand or more years ago for very different way of life to the one we have today. Most of us have long since abandoned the crazy ones.

If Bible bashers (and their Moslem equivalents) are fair dunkum in their faith, they will live by all those archaic principles.

Sell their daughters into slavery, kill their disobedient children, not charge interest on loans, not work on the Sabbath.

Very TIC OK. They are often places you wouldn't live in even if they paid you. IF they were as pious as they say and really meant it, there would be NO violence and you wouldn't be killed because you are different and are going to hell anyhow.. Drunkards are going to hell doesn't pass the Pub test.. Isn't going to hell enough punishment without giving them HELL as well?. Nev

I think he's being used as a trojan horse to open up the attack on non hetero's Despite ALL we have been through on this the WAR is not over...

I fear you are right, Nev.

Unfortunately, it's not just LBTQI (please, can someone come up with an easier label) rights under attack.

There is an insidious, widespread movement to undo human progress.

The 8-hour day is long gone, unions are under relentless attack.

Wages have not increased in years, while the rich get richer and governments grant them generous tax cuts.

The denialistist have white-anted the global response to climate change.

Australia's new government is advocating nuclear power.

Slavery is now more widespread than at any time in history.

The Young Liberals have voted to sell the ABC, leaving Murdoch free to increase his manipulation of the electorate.

In America, rich old white men have taken hard-won abortion rights from women- but they defend the right of young mothers to live in poverty.

The US right’s concern for the foetus doesn’t survive the trip down the birth canal

Well I agree with the conservatives about nuclear power. We in Australia should have the cheapest power in the world. Instead we have the most expensive. I blame the "safety" and green lots for this.

But you will get no argument from me about the need to protect people like homo's and unionists. I do reckon though that homo's are better protected now than they were 50 years ago. I remember a lecturer called Duncan who was thrown into the Torrens by the Vice squad of the day. Duncan drowned and the vice squad got off. This whole thing would not happen today, thank goodness.

If politicians really believed the alarmist warming theories then they would be urgently building nuclear power stations all around the world. They are not. They don’t believe we are under any climate threat. But they have to mouth the right words.

I think he's being used as a trojan horse to open up the attack on non hetero's Despite ALL we have been through on this the WAR is not over.. Mix religion with politics and you get $#!t. Plenty of examples of it all over the world. Nev

Back to topic (pmcarthy's views on climate change are well known, I'll argue with him on a climate change thread).

I'd like to see a Venn diagram of the people who voted "no" to gay marriage and the people who donated to the ACL campaign.

If the circles didn't perfectly overlap it'd be damn close.

Meanwhile at the god nutjob camp,.....

Jared Hayne is up on Two charges for rape here in AU's and one in the USA.

Today he got his bail changed so he can attend in Perth a spiritual education course.

I can save him some time.

Don't rape women

He's saying that teh Venn diagram would probably show that a high percentage of people who voted No to SSM would also be the one who donated money to the ACL campaign.

That's it.

In fact it'd probably look like this:

[ATTACH]50150._xfImport[/ATTACH]

(It was only after I drew it that I realised it looks a bit like a tit. Quite appropriate really...)

1921926802_Folauvenn.thumb.jpg.7844e9267440b3e6b71387c74860232f.jpg

Well I agree with the conservatives about nuclear power. We in Australia should have the cheapest power in the world. Instead we have the most expensive. I blame the "safety" and green lots for this.But you will get no argument from me about the need to protect people like homo's and unionists. I do reckon though that homo's are better protected now than they were 50 years ago. I remember a lecturer called Duncan who was thrown into the Torrens by the Vice squad of the day. Duncan drowned and the vice squad got off. This whole thing would not happen today, thank goodness.

It was George Duncan. Growing up in Adelaide this was one of my early memories. He was murdered in 1972 when I was 10. Murder of George Duncan - Wikipedia

I simply don't understand why some people are so insecure that they have a problem with who has a relationship with who. Same-sex marriage has been deemed acceptable by the majority and is entirely legal. Anyone is entitled to express their inability to cope with reality but they must accept the criticism that they may attract.

"Unfortunately, it's not just LBTQI (please, can someone come up with an easier label) rights under attack."

Can someone please take them to court over their xxx for not putting Hetro in that lbtqi " name.

" I remember a lecturer called Duncan who was thrown into the Torrens by the Vice squad of the day. Duncan drowned and the vice squad got off. This whole thing would not happen today, thank goodness"

Not enough water in the Torrens to drown someone ?.

(One of my cousins has just got engaged to his partner, so could be another wedding to attend)

spacesailor

I don't have a problem about who does what with who. I just cannot understand why we have to be told about it.

A couple of days ago the ABC was extatic about the first openly gay female member of parliament. Who cares?

I don't have a problem about who does what with who. I just cannot understand why we have to be told about it.A couple of days ago the ABC was extatic about the first openly gay female member of parliament. Who cares?

Are you saying we should not be told about that?

My sister spent years not able to discuss her relationship lest she be accused of forcing it on those around her. All she wanted was the right to talk about her partner in exactly the way her colleagues did, that's all.

Since it is now justifiably ridiculous to be blatantly anti-gay we have moved to a situation where those who are uncomfortable about it have now moved to a position of saying it is ok but I shouldn't have to know about it. Yenn if it doesn't bother you, why does a news story about a gay politician seem to bother you?

Methinks you protest too much. T a Bot said they make him feel uncomfortable..???? If "who cares" is a reality "who cares" if they mention the fact that an openly gay woman is sitting in the Parliament. It is actually a significant occasion since (for Men, not women ) it was criminal to be one openly here not that long ago and in many parts of the world they would be beheaded or stoned to death. While that can still happen there's work to be done. Taiwan just Ok'd same sex marriage.. That's a ray of hope for others, (in my view). Nev

Does being LGBT adversely affect a person's ability to effectively carry out the task they have been employed to do? I think not. Would the Enigma code have been broken of Turing's thinking had been befuddled by his sexual orientation?

I'm beginning to believe that anyone who takes a the violent stance in word or deed against another person simply because of their sexual orientation is, in fact, making a display of their own inadequacies.

The only things I dislike about some LGBTs is foppish behaviour in males and male bashing in females. As a matter of fact, I'm getting sick and tired of females on both sides of the fence continuing to nag about how badly done by they are.

. Well often they are badly done by.. Would YOU really like to come back as one, in todays world or even yesterdays world.. There's a few man haters in some of the femme people. Some men aren't actually rapists. (despite the assertions). Nev