This 'Diversity Quota' recruitment stuff is Really silly. ( IMHO )

Phil Perry

Yenn, those buildings in the news, I find it hard to think the design engineers were shonky. the computers design according to the code, and it would be quite a job to cut corners. Not only that, it would leave a paper trail on the plans which could sent you to jail.

But maybe during the actual construction, some short-cuts could be done. A bit less steel and then the concrete pour hides everything.

What do you think happened?

• 2 weeks later...

I know what happened. The engineers designed buildings, usually for architects. they went to tender with a specification that layed down all the material requirements.

The builder knew he could cover up the use of alternative materials and in some cases got away with it. I was his pet hate as I knew enough to spot his dodgy practices. In one case I refused to approve a big floor slab pour, because the reo wasn't in on Friday evening. I turned up unexpectedly on Saturday morning and he was pouring, with nowhere near the required reinforcing in place. I had to get my boss out to read the riot act to him and point out that he wouldn't get paid. That was one of many times that I really pissed him off.

Degrees get dated. In many faculties If you are more than10 years you aren't really there. Pilots often get the shot in the arm with a career ending (if you fail) endorsement on a more modern type, Can be a stressful time for many, often done overseas. Nev

I agree there Nev,. . one of my oldest friends in aviation, let's call him 'Bob' as that is actually his name, . .. was a flight instructor at a a local flying school when we met, he checked me out on an aircraft ( PA28 R200 ) that I wanted to rent ( I'd already done that in Aus, but that's the process here in the UK ) He competed an Airline pilot course and started training on the Fokker F22,. . he was consistently unable to land the aircraft in a safe manner,. . and reluctantly, returned to G.A. Flight training, where he now runs a successful business, with eleven aircraft and various contract instructors. He is now VERY GLAD that his life went in the direction that it did and he has the luxury of being able to drive home in fifteen minutes every day. . ., and not leave home for days on end and live out of a suitcase, as CAN be the life of an Airline Jockey, particulary internationally. . ..

I know anther local guy, wo got to the captain's chair on 747 for Atlas Air Cargo, at the age of 34,. . He is a single man, ( Or Was then ) and he said it was real hard times sitting around the pool with female BA cabin staff on layovers in Rio. . . ( This was 9 years back,. . I have not seen him since. . .)

• 2 weeks later...
Diversity/political correctness/equality strikes again. The next 007 will be a black woman. Ian Fleming must be spinning in his grave.

The role of this fictional character has been played by many different humans over the years. The 007 character has long ago diverged from the original concept. I would suspect that the producers are not making a political statement but rather they are adjusting the character as they have done before to cater to a more modern audience. It is simply good business.

From the original Ian Fleming novels, James Bond was a submarine commander in WW2. Following that he joined MI6 and was a 60-a-day smoker, drank like a fish, and shagged anything with a heartbeat. He was also abrupt, bitter and short-tempered.

Compare that with any of the more recent Bonds and you won't find much in common - apart from the shagging. They've always been updated to suit the times. Let's face it, if you kept the original he'd be about 100 now, which wouldn't make for much of an action movie, especially given his nicotine habit.

In any case I believe that she's not actually playing Bond, she's taking over the 007 number. I don't know what happens to James.

"Yesterday at 9:51 PM From the original Ian Fleming novels, James Bond was a submarine commander in WW2. Following that he joined MI6 and was a 60-a-day smoker, drank like a fish, and shagged anything with a heartbeat. He was also abrupt, bitter and short-tempered."

WOW, sounds like a good plot for a movie,

How did a submarine commander get rid of all those dog-ends. His boat must have stunk like a Old brothel.

spacesailor