Vale Bob Hawke

Jerry_Atrick

I know @Marty_d has said it in the Federal Election thread, but vale to Bob Hawke... He was Australia's most popular PM and never lost touch with his electorate. He did achieve a lot and his legacy lives onm today. I met him a couple of times in the '83 election and a couple of young libs that met him with me conceded he was not much short of an inspiration. It doesn't matter what side of the political divide one is on, at a personal level, he was well liked and respected.

I for one, will be finding a bit of Aussie beer (not Fosters - probably VB or a Crownie) and saluting him this weekend.

RIP

I know it's probably a bit early for this comment, but I can't help wondering if the timing of his departure will give a boost to the Labor parliament.

1 full day out from the federal election - Bob couldn't have timed it better if he tried. Enough time for news outlets to emphasize his popularity and achievements, and interview current Labor pollies, which is all pretty much free advertising for Labor.

He did what he could for the party right to the end!

Yes he did.. A man of his convictions.. You aren't the first to think it.. I was watching Thursday night's AFL360 and someone Mooney (not Cameron) who has a show called Up the Guts (actually, quite funny) obviously was a Labour supporter; called that Labour would win based on the timing of Bob's death. Now, I am not sure he meant it... He was so popular because he epitomised the little Aussie battler (even though he wasn't).. .he would have fought for every breath...

Ian Daile on LBC Radio here in London ran a bit of a memory lane on Hawke today.. It was the first time in my life I felt like calling a radio talk show...

He was the greatest PM will ever had and with Keating they were they dynamic duo that changed our country forever in many great ways.

A real life political Batman and Robin.

And he was a battler, he started from very humble very beginnings. He was never given anything on a plate. He was a giant of his times.

Yes I have met him and Blanche.

I fear his kind will never be repeated.

He was the greatest PM will ever had and with Keating they were they dynamic duo that changed our country forever in many great ways.

A real life political Batman and Robin.

And he was a battler, he started from very humble very beginnings. He was never given anything on a plate. He was a giant of his times.

Yes I have met him and Blanche.

I fear his kind will never be repeated.

So how come I was paying 17% mortgage interest rates during his reign. He dumped his wife for a blonde bimbo and people think he is a god. Not in my eyes. Famous for skulling beer, screwing over bill hayden etc. Sorry he passed but not celebrating his non achievements.

Paul Keating always said that they wouldn't have had to go so high if the Reserve Bank had listened to him and raised them earlier instead of letting things overheat so much. High rates were a general trend for a lot of years before Keating finally killed inflation for good ( the recession we had to have).

Variable rate home loans were almost 14% under John Howard as treasurer and Fraser as PM. So how come we were paying 13.5% during Howard and Fraser's reign? Ask the conservative god, little johnny the answer to that one. In the first two years of the Hawke/Keating government, we were paying lower rates than under Fraser and Howard.

If you don't like what Hawke got done, cut up you Medicare card and rely solely on private health insurance the Little Johnny said you must have until you die, or die waiting for health care in an over-stretched public system.

Stop taking your ocean cruises and Asian holidays on the money from your superannuation that Hawke made compulsory. Stop using the infrastructure that everyone's super contributions are funding.

my super had nothing to do with him or his policies,mine came from hard work and being a little shrewd, 51 years in this great country and every time labor got power I lost out and had to work harder ,hawke a statesman,never! condolences to his family on passing if bill gets in we will have a definite downside

I bought a house in those high interest days and also saved for my old age.

Now my savings are earning very little and mortgage rates are at an all time low. My Grandson still can't afford to buy a home so he is renting.

The LNP are promising to allow deposits for a new home of 5% or whatever. I thought that was what caused the global financial meltdown and also the Royal Commission into banking, and what a farce that was. It was shown that there was plenty of illegal dealings, but I haven't heard of anyone being charged. They seem to be considered incompetent instead of corrupt. I wonder if they have friends in high places and if so they must be happy with yesterdays vote.

The LNP fought tooth and nail to protect these crooks. Banksters go free while plenty of poor people go to gaol for lesser crimes. As one of the many who lost tens of thousands to big bank ripoffs, I watch with glee as the Big Banks are being consigned to history by technological change.

I met Bob Hawke accidentally in late 1979. . .seemed a nice bloke. He was willing to chat with a self employed Pommie, and joked about the Poms getting stick when they first fronted up in Australia.

What happened politically I can't really comment one way or the other. . .I was renting ( super cheaply ) at the time, and until I returned to the UK ( against my will ) in late 1983 . . .Just think,. . if things had played out differently in the old country, I might still be there $hitposting on the interweb ( From Queensland of course ). . .( what a horrible thought for Ian and the rest of my friends on here. . . )

RIP Bob.