Space Stations: Past, Present, And Future

octave

• 8 months later...

I wonder what the reason was behind the crash? Poor choice of electronics due to sanctions? (I've read they're ripping new washing machines apart to get the chips) - some info stolen by spies was purposely wrong, designed to stuff up their space efforts? - or the Russian problem of drunks in the system creating major issues?

12 minutes ago, onetrack said:

I wonder what the reason was behind the crash? Poor choice of electronics due to sanctions? (I've read they're ripping new washing machines apart to get the chips) - some info stolen by spies was purposely wrong, designed to stuff up their space efforts? - or the Russian problem of drunks in the system creating major issues?

The 90 year old professor of astronomy who was heavily involved with the project called for an inquiry into the failure. He's in hospital; the stress of the failure must have been too great. He suspects the mathematics people stuffed the algorithms up. It doesn't look like any mechanical failure, more a software problem putting it into the wrong orbit trajectory.

Β 

I was reading where the new head of Roscosmos has dropped all the investigations into corruption in the organisation. It's likely parts substitution and dodgy behaviour will be a big issue for them. I bet the Yanks are happy they've now got the SpaceX option for the ISS. Travelling on the Soyuz might start to get riskier the way Russia is going about things.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On tonight's news a NASA spokesman said the US is anxious to beat China to the lunar south pole "If China get there first, they'll say THIS IS OURS, EVERYONE ELSE NICK OFF." They hope to find ice or water which future astronauts can use.

• Informative 1

I was thinking that putting a 90 yr old in charge of your space programme is likely to be a recipe for disaster.

Β 

"Now where did I put that solar panel?? Oh, there it is! Inside the fuel tank! Silly me!!"Β :cheezy grin:

Β 

Edited by onetrack
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, onetrack said:

I was thinking that putting a 90 yr old in charge of your space programme is likely to be a recipe for disaster.

He wasn't in charge of the show, but was a fairly major advisor. In the photo is Yury Borisov, who is now the head of Roscosmos. He doesn't look that bright, but they say he's a qualified mathematician as well as being a politician until his appointment as head of the space agency. The bloke he replaced last year was getting a bit too loopy, even for Russia, so putler sacked him. Borisov is ex deputy prime minister and he held the deputy defence minister role as well. Appoint a politician to head the space agency, who then halts all corruption investigations into the agency - what could possibly go wrong?

Β 

Β 

F4EK75fWgAANmu3.png

• Informative 2

The Russians have had a bit of previous trouble with landings. They were the first to land on the moon but it was what they call a hard landing, eg: a controlled crash. That one was planned. When Armstrong was on the moon, at the same time the Russian unmanned lander was crashing somewhere else on the Lunar surface. That was a planned soft landing that went wrong. The Apollo 11 mission had some rare (for the times) cooperation from the Russians toward NASA, providing location and tracking data so the two missions didn't endanger each other. I've never read the full story, but it sounds like the Soviets were trying to steal a bit of thunder from the American manned mission, and it backfired on them.

Β 

Β 

• 2 weeks later...

β€œMushroom poisoning”: rocket scientist dies after Russia’s failed moon mission

Β 

A Russian rocket scientist has died as a result of mushroom poisoning. This reports the German news website fr.de with reference to the Russian newspaper MKRU.

Β 

Already on August 11, 77-year-old Vitaly Melnikov was hospitalized with severe poisoning. For weeks doctors tried to save his life, but without success. Melnikov had suffered from kidney failure and eventually died as a result. MKRU writes: β€œAccording to his relatives, he collected mushrooms every summer and had never been poisoned by forest food before. He always went mushroom hunting alone and enjoyed being one with nature.”

Β 

Melnikov worked at RSC Energia, the largest space company in Russia. There, he headed the department for rocket and space systems and took part in many scientific experiments. Among other things, he was involved in the Russian mission with the Luna 25 space probe, which was supposed to land on the moon. It hit the lunar surface on August 20 and crashed.

• Sad 2