Australian terrorist

Marty_d

We hear on American dramas the term "Assault and battery" They are actually two offences.

In Australia, the simplest assault occurs where the victim is made fearful of their physical well-being. There does not need to be any contact between the possible victim and the assailant. Examples are strong verbal threats or creating a fist in close proximity to the victim. The fear of terrorist attack constitutes an assault. The victim must believe that the assailant is capable of carrying out the action. If the person making the threat is known, the victim can apply for an Apprehended Violence Order from the Court.

The next step up is the unlawful application of force that only produces transient pain. That's Common Assault.

One step further is the infliction of an injury that takes time to heal, like a bruise or shallow cuts. That's Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm.

Go a bit further and you have Assault Occasioning Grievous Bodily Harm. This is where the injury causes a permanent change to the body of the victim. This could be broken or dislodged teeth; a broken bone, permanent soft tissue damage, say to the eye.

Kill someone while doing something unlawful dangerously, or while doing a lawful act negligently, but not having the actual intent to kill and you commit the crime of Manslaughter. Killing someone in a vehicle or boat accident as a result of a dangerous or negligent operation of the vehicle or boat is dealt with as Culpable Driving/Navigation.That offence is considered a slightly less criminal than Manslaughter.

Hatch a plan to kill someone, not matter how fleeting a time the plan existed and you have committed Murder.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that the police do not intend to pursue charges against egg boy. They are however interested in pursuing Niel Erikson one of the thugs that at least my opinion overstepped reasonable force. The fact that that he has an outstanding warrant probably does not help. Anyway this is a trivial issue, charge or dont charge who cares? There are much bigger issues. It matters liite to me who ausalted who. What is more interesting to me is how in 2019 we have people who identify themselves as white supremacists? Perhaps I have confused the title of the thread, I thought the terrorist act we were talking about occured in Christchurch not Australia.

The trivial egging was not, the big item I took umbrage at.

The media swamped the air waves with it,

AND

Totally Ignored the PLIGHT of maybe 1000 people killed in Africa. From the biggest typhoon that devastated three or four countries.

One town of 1/2 million people was totally wiped out. (death toll unknown).

( England is sending tents plus money for aid to the area).

Not on Australian horizen.

"BTW - Spacey, given the brute force they used on the boy, couldn't his reaction to try and hit them (to get them off him) also be a self-defence given the circumstances? "

My take IS, after the MP's slap,the young man threw a punch, only to get a punch returned post-hast !.

Check the video footage, I watched three, it was only seen in two of them, (maybe edited for effect).

Anyway, Even the N Z is NOT charging him (Aussy Terroriest) with Terrorism., therefor stopping his reading, of HIS rantings.

spacesailor

The trivial egging was not, the big item I took umbrage at.The media swamped the air waves with it,

AND

Totally Ignored the PLIGHT of maybe 1000 people killed in Africa. From the biggest typhoon that devastated three or four countries.

One town of 1/2 million people was totally wiped out. (death toll unknown).

( England is sending tents plus money for aid to the area).

Not on Australian horizen.

"BTW - Spacey, given the brute force they used on the boy, couldn't his reaction to try and hit them (to get them off him) also be a self-defence given the circumstances? "

My take IS, after the MP's slap,the young man threw a punch, only to get a punch returned post-hast !.

Check the video footage, I watched three, it was only seen in two of them, (maybe edited for effect).

Anyway, Even the N Z is NOT charging him (Aussy Terroriest) with Terrorism., therefor stopping his reading, of HIS rantings.

spacesailor

No, the media didn't ignore it. Just because you did not see it doesn't mean it wasn't reported perhaps you should try ABC or SBS

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/19/weather/cyclone-idai-mozambique-facts-intl/index.html

Cyclone Idai triggers 'massive disaster'

An aerial view of a neighbourhood destroyed by Cyclone Idai

Cyclone Idai tore a path of destruction through southern Africa

Of course, the terrorist attack in NZ made big news, many of us have family in NZ and it was carried at by one of us.

Only one charge of murder has been laid, this is usual before they investigate, it allows them to hold him in custody. If you are suggesting that this was not terrorism perhaps you should read his manifesto, it is available if you search for it.

My suburb has seen the arrival of many non-Europeans in recent years. For the most part, the old time residents (mainly Anglo-Irish) haven't been put out by this, and the new arrivals are only noticeable by their clothing and colour. You could say that the community is peacefully integrated. Then we get a dick who does this: http://newslocal.smedia.com.au/mc-campbelltown/ (Go to page 7)

Now that's what I would expect from an illiterate dole bludger from a houso estate. I was shocked when I saw that it was a 46 year-old bloke. No wonder White Supremacists capture a following.

Sad, but not uncommon. What a narrow, boring world he must live in.

My daughter moved out of Parramatta a few years ago, and still misses the multicultural mix. Her little kid had wonderful daycare with lovely women from Vietnam, Bangladesh and China. We encouraged them to teach my grandy as much of their language and culture as possible.

Her kids are now growing up in another city, but sadly, it has nothing like the cultural diversity of Sydney.

@old man emu - maybe we should start a new thread on the differences between Aussie and Pommie law. FWIW, over 'ere, Grevious Bodily Harm is the busting of the epithelieum (or however it is spelt) that draws blood.. Doesn't have to be permanent - and it can attract a life sentence. If the blood vessels burst and there is no breaking of he skin (or other epitheleum), then it is battery (common assault).

Re the man on P7, we don't know the full background - he may have had too much to drink, etc. I don't believe too much to drink should ever be a defence as most of us know what we're like when we've had too many (I normally just take to the keyboard and make a lot of mistakes ;-)) and therefore losing it when one is p!$$ed is really one's own doing...

But, in his defence, he had the integrity to hand himself in.. and from the article, I got the impression that people may have come in character defence and submitted he was not normally a racist (OK, people lie... but why would he turn himself in?)

@spacesailor - a typhoon is out of mans' hands (well, excluding the adverse weather from man-made climate change). A terrorist attack is definitely within mans hands and will probably attract more attention. Of course, I don't dispute the issue with the press; if something like this happened in America or possibly Europe, the press would be all over it...

For a happier Australia in the next generation, we need our babes to be playing with kids from many cultural backgrounds. Since babes don't know about racism, having them used to be playing with others from different backgrounds is the best way to kill the racist demon. As long as we can stop parents introducing racist prejudice into their own kids, we will have a chance.

Anning is so close to being a terrorist it isn't funny. Hanson & Katter share many of his views but they are politically aware enough to know that they'd lose votes if they kept him on. How someone who gets only 19 votes & is elected through party preferences can stay in the senate when kicked out of that party & spend our money travelling around to right wing fascist rallys to expose his racist hatred is mind bogglingly pathetic. The law must be changed to prevent this in future. Good on the kid for egging him. Annings disgusting diatribe has caused far more harm than that did.

Below is an excerpt from a statement given after the shootings by Dame Anne Salmond a former NZer of the year and it applies equally or even moreso here. You may not understand the Maori but will get the idea.

"In the wake of this terrible tragedy, let's be honest, for once. White supremacy is a part of us, a dark power in the land.

In its soft version, it looks bland and reasonable. Eminent New Zealanders assure their fellows that Māori were "lucky" to be colonised by Europeans, that te reo Māori is worthless, that tikanga Māori have nothing to teach us.

Others simply assume that ancestral legacies from Europe are superior to those from the Pacific – in the law, science, social and cultural life. In its hard version, it's violent and hateful, spewing out curses, incarcerating young Māori in large numbers, denying them a decent education, homes and jobs, telling them they have no future, and are better off dead."

After Māori, the indigenous people of these islands, this sense of white superiority spills out over "other" groups – Pasifika, Asian people, and now Muslims in Christchurch. Many of these people have been sworn at, punched and jostled, treated as aliens who have no place among us.

Just talk with members of these groups, and they will have traumatic experiences to share. Contempt breeds contempt, and hatred can breed hatred. Sometimes they strike back, as you would expect – although more often than not, at those close at hand.

The doctrine of white superiority is based on arrogance, and ignorance. Since other cultures, languages and religions are worthless, there's no need to learn about them. The "others" are dehumanised, making their misery and suffering unreal. This helps to explain our tolerance for the terrible statistics of youth suicide, incarceration, and family violence in New Zealand.

Like the song of the Orcs, this kind of hatred echoes in deep, hidden caverns in our society, menacing and frightening. Every now and then it flashes out in actions that are simply terrifying, like the shootings in Christchurch.

So let's be clear about this. White supremacy is a black strand woven through our history as a nation. It was deeply rooted in Europe, even before arriving here in New Zealand."

Fortunately, though, it's not the only legacy we have to draw on. From the outset, ideas of justice and kindness, equality and mutual respect have provided a counterpoint to greed and colonial ambition. Interwoven with notions of tika, a and manaakitanga, this has led to moments that light up the dark.

When James Cook's Endeavour arrived in New Zealand in 1769, almost 250 years ago, there were shootings. The next day, Cook and an unnamed warrior put down their weapons and exchanged a hongi on a sacred rock.

Four years later, when a group of his men were sacrificed in Queen Charlotte Sound, Cook commented of Māori: "I have always found them of a Brave, Noble, Open and benevolent disposition, devoid of treachery, but they will never put up with an insult if they have an opportunity to resent it."

He had come to admire Māori and understand something about mana, manaakitanga and tika, lessons that many New Zealanders have yet to learn. In 1840 when Te Tiriti was signed at Waitangi, for instance, the text describes an exchange of gifts between Queen Victoria and the rangatira, a balance of powers between her agent, the governor (kawanatanga), and the rangatira (tino rangatiratanga), and a promise of equality between Māori and the Queen's people (nga tikanga rite tahi).

This promise was utterly smashed by the incoming settler government, which proclaimed and practised white supremacy.

135 years later when the Waitangi Tribunal was set up, the New Zealand government took a step away from this doctrine, although the promise of equality has yet to be amply fulfilled.

In the present, let's face it. Online, on talkback, in taxis and around dinner tables, the doctrine of white superiority is still alive and well in New Zealand.

Sometimes it's loud and ugly, at other times simply taken for granted, and all the more insidious and dangerous.

It's absolutely right that our prime minister should take a stand for kindness and generosity, aroha and manaakitanga in the relations among different groups in our country.

Like many other Kiwis, I support and admire her for that. But let's not pretend that there's not a dark underbelly in New Zealand society. It's real, and its twisted, and its been here forever. The rest of us have to name it, challenge it when it comes to light, and replace it with different, better ways of being Kiwi.

The Muslim community has suffered a terrible, heart-breaking loss, and it needs all our love and support. It is not the only group who are targeted by white supremacists, however, and there are more ways of killing and maiming people than with a gun."

Wise words. Most western societies have progressed to the stage of being able to question much of our past, our heroes and our attitudes. We now openly recognise the darker side of our history. Have other cultures evolved enough to do the same?

Voices equivalent to Dame Anne Salmond are not treated well in other cultures, including throughout the Islamic world.

We quite rightly condemn Fraser Anning and his goons, but his crimes pale beside the inflammatory threats of Turkey's president.

A lot of praise for Maoridom, but when Cook arrived they were Cannibals, But they Deni it,

Just don't get invited to the marae for dinner !.

Now were did those men disappeared to ?. "Four years later, when a group of his men were sacrificed in Queen Charlotte Sound,"

AND there's a story of pre-Maori natives in NZ.

"The Moriori sent a group of dignitaries to offer the Maori a share of the island and its resources. The Maori scornfully refused the gesture.

As soon as they were strong enough the first load of invaders set off in all directions to claim as their own property the land and everything on it, including the Moriori. Part of the ritual of tikenga was to kill a number of the former proprietors."

spacesailor

I have been to a number of Marae & have stayed there overnight & lived 12km from the Turangawaewae Marae in Ngaruawahia the seat of the Maori King movement, for more than 25 years. I was always treated with respect and respected their culture and customs. In pre European times some were cannibals and the Maori I knew acknowledged that without any denial. An old friend and neighbour Bob Tipene died just before I left for Australia & I attended his Tangi (funeral). I was treated like family. It was a humbling experience and I felt honoured to be there among his people and to be treated as one of them. Like every culture there are the ratbags and those with an axe to grind but the Elders generally keep them in line. Too many white Kiwis have never had this experience and take their views from hearsay and their own internal white prejudices which have descended through the generations of white superiority.

There are a number of Maori based gangs in NZ & they are pretty intimidating. They too have their structure and culture. One of the most fearsome is the Mongrel Mob. After the shooting in Christchurch the Mongrel Mob approached the local Muslim community and provided free security for their Mosques not just in Christchurch but around the country. Jacinda Adern is an inspirational leader who espouses kindness, empathy, love and compassion. She has held NZ together at a most difficult time. There is no-one here that comes close. At the UN she spoke of these things while holding her new baby. She got a standing ovation. Trump got up & stated that he rejects Globalism and embraces patriotism. Deadly silence. If the rest of the world follows her advice I do not fear the future.

Yes I DO agree

BUT why that BIG sign outside that says "NO Pakiha. NO cars, NO guns, NO dogs NO camera's"

AND Then I drive in with a Deer (on the bonnet) Dogs (in the boot), Guns everywhere & my camera.

Big welcome, no animosity, AN invite to stay the night, then fishing in the morning (Biggest eel I've seen).

Happy days in the sixty's & seventies. (possibly,: Te Kōpū Mānia Marae) Hamilton on the Waikato river.

WHAT doe's :khayt hanara : mean ?.

spacesailor

Yes I DO agree BUT why that BIG sign outside that says "NO Pakiha. NO cars, NO guns, NO dogs NO camera's"

AND Then I drive in with a Deer (on the bonnet) Dogs (in the boot), Guns everywhere & my camera.

Big welcome, no animosity, AN invite to stay the night, then fishing in the morning (Biggest eel I've seen).

Happy days in the sixty's & seventies. (possibly,: Te Kōpū Mānia Marae) Hamilton on the Waikato river.

WHAT doe's :khayt hanara : mean ?.

spacesailor

"khayt hanara" - Maori shorthand for "White man who can't read signs"...

Hoping that's a joke as it's on NZ government paper's.The sign outside Te Kōpū Mānia Marae. Stopped me, but was Told to drive on through !.

spacesailor

Yes, it was a joke. Based on you driving past the sign about no guns, dogs or cameras, with all these things.