Where is Townsville?

pmccarthy

I subscribe to the MELBOURNE Age which this morning has no mention of Townsville. Is Townsville in Australia? My wife reads the Australian, which tells her that Townsville is in the middle of an unprecedented disaster. The Age manages all sorts of stories about gay people on trams and good coverage of fires in Victoria but not a mention of Townsville. I repeat, not a mention!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once in Melbourne I went to buy a paper with enough money to buy an Adelaide Advertiser. Alas it wasn't enough for a Melbourne paper, and when I complained, the girl said " well nothing much happens in Adelaide so of course its cheaper"

400 MM is not a metre. I haven't heard of figures like 1 metre. At the moment the dumping of water from the dam is having the greatest effect on the flooding but it's done for the safety of the dam structure. Normally, Townsville is not a high rainfall area. The desert almost meets the sea there. Nev

Many years ago when working in a Bank in Brisbane I was asked by our Melbourne Office to quickly jump in a car and resolve an issue with a client in Cairns.

I worked for a small software company (a staff of 8), based in Mitcham, Vic, in 1993. I was sent to install their software package at the Bundaberg Sugar Refinery. A round trip involving 5 flights in one day. Paid for by Bundy Sugar. The install took less than 30 minutes.

The way things have been going Townsville may well be off the Qld coast. As others have said it is normally a dry place. I lived there in 1969 and it sure was dry, but no more so than other places in Qld. If I was there no I would be under water. I hear they are considering re opening the airport.

When it all settles down there will be lots of complaints about BOM not saying it was going to be severe rainfall. Rather like other places saying BOM predicted severe weather that didn't happen and ruined their tourist trade.

For once I think the use of the term un precedented can apply to this weather.

It's dry compared to other places ON THE COAST to the North and the south. it always was.. (last 50-60 years or so at least.)

300 to 400 mm per day is the sort of thing they are getting. That's certainly enough to call it a big wet. If the tropical low is stationary it can just keep happening.. It doesn't run out of water if the conditions stay right for it . In fact the extra moisture on the land areas perpetuates it.The system is over to Mt ISA and the gulf and the top of Cape York. It's picking up water from the Gulf and the Coral sea..Nev

It's not until you understand what X mm of rain means that you get an idea of the volume of water it represents.

If you take a square of surface one metre by one metre and drop 10 mm of rain on it, you would have dropped 10 litres of water. Over one square kilometre, that's ten million litres.

So if you get one metre of rain (1000 mm), that's 1,000,000,000 litres of water per Square kilometre. The City of Townsville has an area of 693 sq kms.

It's easier to imagine a uniform layer of water over the entire surface. Normal annual rainfalls in usually lived in (non desert) areas have annual rainfall of 800 -1200 mm . You need more in tropical regions and it takes no regard of seasons (wet and dry) where you have an extreme variation situation. re rain but not temp (as much). . If you are in inches divide by 25.. Wettest places on the earth were getting "precipitation rates" over 190 inches per annum. Nev

Townsville is/was a very dry city, many locals have water bores of which number there is no record. Ross River Dam was down to 15% in 2016. Several Water Bore Drilling Businesses advertise in the area. In contrast Tully, 175km up the road has the highest annual rainfall in Aus.

sisters still not in trouble but me brother inlaw reconds that the crocs yabbies and fish are cause sis was in bicinie and they left

now believe this shit for brain paper has head line that the weir gates were opened to cause maximum damage to Townsville at 250% capacity off the dam why would you not open the gates

I have a feeling that when the water reaches the height it did the gates open as a saftey measure neil

Nearly an impossible task to get right. Whatever is done, someone will think it's the wrong thing. If it never overflows it's done the flood mitigation thing. Once it's full it's as if it's not there unless there's a safety element, (structural). The Hume Weir near Albury became unsafe a few years ago. If these things let go it's a catastrophe, you wouldn't want to think about. It's pretty easy to criticise decisions until you must make them yourself and most of us are not aware of the precise situation these people are addressing. The Papers sell "sensation" for profit. Truth is not allowed to get in the way of a GOOD Story, as you will find out when you are involved with something that "Makes the Headlines" the MAKES has a double meaning. .Nev

It's Not the decision to open the gates but the time.

IF opened the day (or more) before, it would have been a lesser Flood, as it was opened too late & too much, ( the Dam hight going down ).

The Hight of the dam could be adjusted according to Keeping the Hight stationery, & not lowering that vast expanse of water.

I',m not there so only going on news coverage.

spacesailor