Where is Townsville?

pmccarthy

There is an operators manual for each Dam. It advises what percentage opening on the gates at various levels. As the operator you follow the Manual to the letter otherwise YOU will be held personally responsible for loss of property or life as a consequence of deviating from the Manual. Remember the debarkle surrounding this subject with Wyvanhoe Dam during the Brisbane floods.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Wivenhoe debacle was caused by the manual not being good enough and also wilful disregard of the consequences.

The current Townsville problem will be blamed on the met office not predicting the "unprecedented" rainfall. They could have started releasing a couple of days or so earlier, but I suppose they thought the rain would stop and they could store the water for use in the dry.

I live downstream of Awoonga Dam and a few years ago the powers that be started panicking. The water was 18m over the spillway, at which stage a saddle dam should have given way, letting water down an alternative route, but it didn't, so the level could get high enough to breach the dam. We were advised to evacuate and go to Boyne or Tannum, which is at the mouth of the river. I preferred to stay and evacuate if the water got near us. It was about 1.5m below the house at the highest, but it flooded parts of Boyne and Tannum

When something is in the order of once in hundreds of years, it's pretty rich to blame forecasters for not predicting it. What should be looked at is developing reclaimed swamps and soaks as suburbs. Better to leave as farm or parks. But the almighty dollar dictates it be developed.. Insurance costs go through the roof. Everyone pays.. The developers pocket the profits and get ready to do it somewhere else. Long term locals know the BAD areas but are never listened to .. . Nev

Not only the use of swamps as subdivisions, but also the trend to build Melbourne style slab on ground boxes with no eaves and also too many to the hectare.

One thing which makes flooding more and more likely is the speed of rainfall run off. The more heoses per hectare and the more sealed roads and driveways, the more water to run off per unit of time.

I would assume that drainage systems in Townsville would be designed to cope with 200mm per hour rainfall. That rate would result in Melbourne disappearing under water I haven't heard anything about flooding in Ingham, but a few years ago I was there and horrified to see a new subdivision in low ground with houses on the ground. I predicted then that they would flood and wonder what really happened.

"The developers pocket the profits and get ready to do it somewhere else. Long term locals know the BAD areas but are never listened to .. . Nev"

And the next Biggy in Sydney will be MASCOT.!

All those Acres, & house plots at 500 squares max, makes $ Billions for the DEVELOPERS then the ripoff Rates to the council.

spacesailor

The Council will need the money for depression and suicide counselling, safe houses, extra police, psychiatrists CCTV and loudspeakers.. Streets named after aspirational concepts like, Closet Close, Divorced Court, Effluent Road and Persistent Drive all the way past Notso-Down Downs and the Twilby Mine, to the waters edge at Point Less. .Nev

While driving to the airstrip this morning I heard that Sydney got 56mm of rain and there was flooding.

How I would like 56mm of rain, preferably spread out over 2 hours and it would be just great. So far we have had no "wet " at all. I have never known a year when the rain hadn't started by Feb 1st.

yenn being a farming contractor the weather patterns have constantly changed in 1960s my father was bailing hay at mundura station jerildera October in the eighties I baled hay in the same paddock in dec the same paddock was jan 2010

the same senerio seem to apply to the fruit its getting later when fruit is being picked

aint worrying me to mutch like hard work it aint getting any hotter than the 60 cause it was on ray foxs back veranda it was 110 degrees I was carting little bales off hay

the weather is one thing that the human race has got no control over what so ever anyone that says otherwise is full of crap and corupion neil

Less and less people are thinking like you do neil and plenty of them are farmers. We know what Coal mine owners want, and spend plenty of time and money, trying to get it, but they obviously couldn't give a stuff for what others think and care about. ALL they care about is $$$'s . A proposed new open cut mine near Gloucester was rejected by the Court in the last few days as it was determined to NOT be in the community's interest. People have had enough of deniers and mines that remain to be a blight on the landscape forever when they aren't put into a fit shape to do "anything" with after the profits have been made. The least they could do is make it reasonable afterwards but they don't... Nev

The pristine lakes in Tasmania's world heritage areas are actually some of the most polluted on the planet from airborne lead, cadmium and other heavy metals from unrehabilitated mines. All from Queenstown and similar mine disasters.

Lead and cadmium? The Mt Lyell mine at Queenstown is a copper mine.

The pristine lakes in Tasmania's world heritage areas are actually some of the most polluted on the planet from airborne lead, cadmium and other heavy metals from unrehabilitated mines. All from Queenstown and similar mine disasters.

Like the Little Blue Lake up near Derby - visited it a few weeks ago. Looks spectacular but signs all around it warn against swimming, due to the heavy metals that cause the colour.

Little Blue Lake

Regarding Little Blue Lake....

"When the miners packed their bags and left town, the pit was filled with water to become a recreational spot."

This is not a real lake. It is in north east Tasmania, not Queenstown (which is a real environmental mess). This one is an old open cut tin mine pit that was never restored. It has walls up to 10mtrs high and is not likely to be very recreational.

I've seen Mary Kathleen uranium mine pit in Queensland, which is an even brighter blue. And numerous coal mines. Mining profits never seem to get used to restore sites properly. Same goes for logging industry.

I believe the real lakes are clean.

You don't just get contamination by the principle extracted ore. Other products go with copper or anything else often in profitable amounts. Gold mines use arsenic for extraction after pulverizing the rocks where you get about one ounce per 40 tons or more of rock.. Any time you have tailings from crushed rock you release heavy metals into the environment. These settle on the bottom of rivers lakes and estuaries. Lookup Fly River and OK Tedi Mine PNG.. McArthur River NT.. Nev

Here is the article.

Tasmania's lakes among most contaminated in the world

These are not next to mines nor down stream but up in the elevated mountains, they are polluted from airborne sources from the mines over a 100 km away.

They are Lead, Arsenic, Copper and Cadmium. All from mining and far away from the source.

This is a ANU study from one of the worlds experts, so is very credible not propaganda before Storchy asks.

Till you stir up the sediments or perhaps consume things like oysters from there. Big sharks are not fit to eat as they have a high mercury level as they are the top food chain predator. Cumulative poisons are retained in the tissues of many things so when they are eaten, the predator gets the metals and on it goes. You should only consume small shark (Flake). We are doing a fairly good job of stuffing this planet in the last few hundred years, plus a little bit. Nev

"Cumulative poisons are retained in the tissues of many things so when they are eaten, the predator gets the metals and on it goes."

The TOP predator is being pumped to the max with the worlds deadliest poison.!.

FLUORIDE.

Can't be filtered out with an ordinary filter, only a "reverse osmosis filter" will remove this POISON.

Why ?

It's so bad there's nowhere to put it safely, So put it in the drinking water to store Fluoride in the body, until burned at the funeral, or buried.

spacesailor

"Cumulative poisons are retained in the tissues of many things so when they are eaten, the predator gets the metals and on it goes."The TOP predator is being pumped to the max with the worlds deadliest poison.!.

FLUORIDE.

Can't be filtered out with an ordinary filter, only a "reverse osmosis filter" will remove this POISON.

Why ?

It's so bad there's nowhere to put it safely, So put it in the drinking water to store Fluoride in the body, until burned at the funeral, or buried.

spacesailor

Fluoride protects your teeth. From Victorian Health department:

- children of 5 and 6 years of age who have lived more than half their lives in fluoridated areas have 50 per cent less tooth decay in their baby teeth, compared to children who have not lived in fluoridated areas

- children who are twelve and thirteen years old who have lived more than half their lives in fluoridated areas have 38 per cent less tooth decay in their adult teeth, compared to children who have not lived in fluoridated areas.

- Water fluoridation is not just for children. A recently published study was based on data collected from the National Survey of Adult Oral Health 2004-06. Dental examinations of 5,505 adults from around Australia found significantly less decay in adults who drink fluoridated water.

Most of my Grandchildren have BAD teeth.

Even the GreatGrandchildren some need fillings !.

I have always believed the Story put out at the dawn of fluoridation.

A man was given a Blank cheque, to find a place to dispose of a mountain of fluoride, and another Blank cheque for expenses..

Makes sense to put the small amount into our body's as it only takes four or five years off your LIFE, which is good to get rid of the Oldies that require a lot of medical care.

spacesailor

Its difficult to prove or disprove your story, Space. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware nobody has done definitive research into the relationship between flouride (nor lots of other potentially life shortening things), and average lifespan. This is largely due to research funding coming from commercial sources and there isn't much profit to be made from extending our lifespan.

I grew up in Sydney before fluoridation. After my milk teeth were replaced by permanent teeth, I had many terrifying visits to dentists who drilled and filled my teeth with mercury-containing amalgam. The terror of those visits kept me away from dentists for most of my adult life, even after the amalgam fell out and my teeth collapsed into the vacant holes.

My kids grew up after fluoridation. No decay. No fillings. The only reason my daughter went to the dentist was for cosmetic reasons, and my son for repairs to an accidental punch in the mouth.

Dental amalgam is a mixture of metals, consisting of liquid (elemental) mercury and a powdered alloy composed of silver, tin, and copper. Approximately 50% of dental amalgam is elemental mercury by weight. Fluoride or mercury? I'd take the lesser of two evils if I had the choice.